Your thoughts on Bona drag?????

• Thread starter Mr.Improper PIMP that aint jay
  • Start date
M

Mr.Improper PIMP that aint jay

I think its one of the most brilliant albums ever written. Im sure some dunce here will disagree(if thats the case,you should renounce your affiliation as a morrissey fan). Every f***in track on it is f***in brilliant....Now I dare anyone to talk shit about this album...Im not in a good mood today,so if you want to be thrashed,let me know...I get off on it.

Along with Viva Hate, it is possibly tied for my favorite album of all time by any singer/band ever.

It's beautiful from beginning to end.

The Last of the Famous International Playboys is one of the best Moz songs ever.

is there a misnomer in the house

> I think its one of the most brilliant albums ever written.

It's a compilation, not an album.

IS THERE A f***ER IN THE HOUSE?

It's an album, not a compilation.

"The Very Best of Morrissey" is a compilation.

Bona Drag had singles on it, that were never A-Sides or B-Sides before, hence it qualifies.

That these singles had been released before the album, does not detract from Bona Drag as an album.

Only 3 tracks, Everyday is Like Sunday, Suedehead, & Hairdesser on Fire came from Viva Hate and the Viva Hate sessions.

Perhaps, you could f-off now.

Genre: Post-Punk
Release Date: October 1990
Label: Sire Records

Bona Drag was originally intended to be a new album (indeed Morrissey had a sleeve design for it, which was subsequently adapted for "Live In Dallas"). Instead, some tracks from this abortive "Bona Drag" session were released in single form, and then a compilation that borrowed the cancelled album title was released in October 1990.

Track Listing:

Piccadilly Palare
Interesting Drug
November Spawned A Monster
Will Never Marry (edit)
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Hairdresser On Fire
Everyday Is Like Sunday
He Knows I'd Love To See Him
Yes, I Am Blind
Lucky Lisp
Suedehead
Disappointed

Re: IS THERE A f***ER IN THE HOUSE?

But the entry you included in your post refers to it as a compilation:

"Bona Drag was ORIGINALLY INTENDED to be a new album (indeed Morrissey had a sleeve design for it, which was subsequently adapted for "Live In Dallas"). INSTEAD, some tracks from this abortive "Bona Drag" session were released in single form, and then A COMPILATION THAT BORROWED THE CANCELLED ALBUM TITLE [Bona Drag] was released in October 1990."

I will let Improper school you on the finer points, Jo.

Bona Drag counts.

Stop trying to take something away from Morrissey.

Bona Drag was not "My Early Burglary Years," "Suedehead, The Best of Moz," "The Very Best of Morrissey," or "World of Morrissey."

Perhaps you could inquire about a position with the New Musical Express.

I've heard they are looking for a few bad people to give Morrissey the knife when the new album is released, and I think you would be perfect for the job.

Bona Drag counts!!

Facts

Every song on Bona Drag was released in single format prior to its release. The day that "Bona Drag" hit the stores, it would be possible (and, in many cases, probable) that a Morrissey fan already owned EVERY song on an alternate format. It was NOT a new album. It was not written as an album. It was a collection of previously released material.

I'm not saying Bona Drag isn't good. Its just not a 'studio album' in the traditional sense.

IMO, one fault of Bona Drag was that it left off "Sister, I'm a Poet"

Hatful, The World Wont Listen, & Louder Than Bombs, all count

Hatful - counts in large amounts.

The World Won't Listen - counts in large amounts.

Louder than Bombs - counts in large amounts.

Rank & Beethoven Was Deaf, do not count, though they were both great and deserve credit for what they are, live albums as you already know.

Counting "Louder Than Bombs" is just unfair.

Seriously, if it's counted as a "proper" album, it trumps everything else in The Smiths' canon easily. I only count the debut, MIM, TQID, and SHWC as proper albums. (In the Morrissey discography, I count VH, KU, YA, V&I, SG, and M.) I don't think this denigrates the various compilations (or live albums) in any way. They're amazing in their own categories and even compared to the regular albums, but they are not the same thing.

we disagree

I don't discount an album just because it was released in America and not in the UK. My understanding is that "Louder Than Bombs" has songs on it that both "Hatful of Hollow" & "The World Won't Listen" combined do not have.

We disagree on this matter.

In addition, I don't feel that "Louder Than Bombs" standing on its own is better than TQID or SHWC.

Re: we disagree

> I don't discount an album just because it was released in America and not
> in the UK. My understanding is that "Louder Than Bombs" has
> songs on it that both "Hatful of Hollow" & "The World
> Won't Listen" combined do not have.

I'm not discounting it because it was released in America and not the UK. I'm American, in case you didn't know. I don't count it as a "proper" album because it is a collection of singles, B-sides and rarities, as opposed to new material. The same goes for "Hatful of Hollow," "The World Won't Listen," and "Bona Drag."

> We disagree on this matter.

Clearly, but politely, I hope.

> In addition, I don't feel that "Louder Than Bombs" standing on
> its own is better than TQID or SHWC.

I change my mind on this one on a weekly basis. What I do know is that if I had to choose to have one album by The Smiths, I'd choose "Singles." But my second choice would be "Louder Than Bombs." Because it's long. I don't think it's as consistently good as TQID, but I do think it's better than SHWC (although oddly, my favorite singalong song ever: SMIYTYHTOB).

Bona Drag was what introduced me to Morrissey and the Smiths (actually it was November video *drool*) for the first time. It's a beautiful record though my fave is still Vauxhall.

Bona drag ? what about crap like My early burglary years,Suedehead (best of) and World of Morrissey?

Those are obvious and undisputed compilations which is why I didn't include them.

Also, MEBY is a superb compilation.

Re: I will let Improper school you on the finer points, Jo.

> Stop trying to take something away from Morrissey.

How exactly am I "trying to take something away from Morrissey"? I love Bona Drag! It's one of my favourite solo contributions from Morrissey. Are you implying that compilations are somehow unworthy of recognition? What about Hatful of Hollow and Louder than Bombs? These are both also compilation albums, but brilliant nontheless.

> I've heard they are looking for a few bad people to give Morrissey the
> knife when the new album is released, and I think you would be perfect for
> the job.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the release of his new album, and have no interest in "giving Morrissey the knife", so I'm afraid I must pass on this suggestion. You, however, seem to revel in personal attacks and would probably enjoy "giving people the knife", as you say.

Here here..Saying bona is not an album is like saying maladjusted isnt an album....f*** off indeed...Ill say it again: BONA DRAG is the greatest album ever written....now f*** off.

> Here here..Saying bona is not an album is like saying maladjusted isnt an
> album....f*** off indeed...Ill say it again: BONA DRAG is the greatest
> album ever written....now f*** off.

Sure, it is an album, and a great one indeed, but a great COMPILATION album. What on earth is wrong with that?!! Why is "compliation" such a bad word, according to you?

> Here here..Saying bona is not an album is like saying maladjusted isnt an
> album....f*** off indeed...Ill say it again: BONA DRAG is the greatest
> album ever written....now f*** off.

By the way, I really don't appreciate the tone of your response. Are you incapable of civil debate? I realize that you might feel very passionate about your opinions regarding Morrissey, as do I, but it is possible to express that passion without resorting to insults and foul language. Swearing really is the crutch of the intellectually impoverished. I'm sure i'm not the only one here who is sick to death of your constant barrage of expletives, in lieu of actual
intelligent commentary, as if by saying "f***" several times you somehow automatically win an argument.

Thanks!

> By the way, I really don't appreciate the tone of your response. Are you
> incapable of civil debate? I realize that you might feel very passionate
> about your opinions regarding Morrissey, as do I, but it is possible to
> express that passion without resorting to insults and foul language.
> Swearing really is the crutch of the intellectually impoverished. I'm sure
> i'm not the only one here who is sick to death of your constant barrage of
> expletives, in lieu of actual
> intelligent commentary, as if by saying "f***" several times you
> somehow automatically win an argument.

> Thanks!

Errr Jo, have you ever met this Proper bloke before.. you're now gonna wind him up even more with your reasoned and balance riposte!!

Good luck in dealing with the 'incoming' !
Ruffian