Has Morrissey ever mentioned...

Re: Me too. Who needs sleep?

> Property...You asked

Yes, I did. I actually am pretty interested in that stuff and my copies of Housewise and Investing in Real Estate are literally inches away from me as I write this. In fact...I passed my real estate exam about five years ago. I never activated my license with a broker, though. I'm very interested in real estate, but I don't have the right kind of personality for sales, I don't think. I should probably go into appraising!

> Keep your fingers crossed. Both the seller and I have signed a Memorandum
> of Purchase, but the actual contract is 12 pages long. Neither of us have
> signed it yet. My attorney is working on it now and it should be done by
> tomorrow evening.

12 pages long? Oh, my goodness!

> It's a 12-unit building. 4-4 bedroom apartments, 8-3 bedroom apartments.
> Picture below shows one of the typical, lived-in 4-bedroom places. Loft
> upstairs, lots of natural light from the dormer windows (which all need to
> be replaced, uggh). Each apartment has a kitchen with new appliances, a
> bathroom, central air, a patio, and will soon have WiFi. The current
> landlord has let the place go, which is unfortunate but it also lets me
> buy it "cheap". $630,000 4.5% down, plus $60k in repairs needed
> in the next 3 months. New roof, new siding, some new windows, and lots of
> "sprucing up". Balance paid @ 6.5% interest, 30-year with a
> 5-year balloon. The apartments rent way, way low at $550 for the 3s and
> $650 for the 4s. "The Math" says I'll cash-flow nearly $3k per
> month after expenses, maybe more when I raise rents to where they should
> be.

That sounds pretty sweet. You seem to have it all figured out. Are you going to do any of the repairs yourself and work with subcontractors to cut costs? Or are you going to work with a contractor for a different kind of headache? At my last job working for an architect, we always had so much fun dealing with contractors (sarcasm).

> The best part is that it is located 50 yards from an old hospital that
> will be torn down early next year to make way for exclusive high-end
> condos with shopping, restaurants, a coffee shop. City is also putting in
> a park in the block directly behind my place.

Location, location, location. I take it you own other rental properties that will bring your debt up to $1,000,000? I don't know if you're into the stock market at all, but I think that real estate is definitely a better way to go. (Just my opinion.) Especially with the current state of the economy. Not sure about where you are, but real estate continues to appreciate in my area at crazy rates. Five years ago, my house was appraised at $90,000 less than what we're selling it for now. It's mostly because so many people are leaving Staten Island and coming into Joisey.
And over-priced real estate is legendary in the Los Angeles area. I doubt I'll find anything out there for cheap that just needs a little elbow grease, and if I did, I'd probably have to carry an uzi to go out to do my grocery shopping. I'm very unathletic and I've always had poor aim. Better not to risk it.

> It is a still a pretty big gamble, and there are literally thousands of
> variables that keep creeping in. Weiß: Closes his eyes and goes fast.

It'll be fine. You'll do well. I feel it in my bones. Anything really worth doing has some element of risk in it. I can understand your trepidation, though. I hope for your sake that repairs are completed in the three month timeframe that you're anticipating and don't stretch out any longer and that you fill your units quickly so you don't stay upside down for long and start to generate positive cash flow ASAP.

My fingers are crossed for you, my friend!

Re: Dunno, but I the film "Georgy Girl" reminded me of Morrissey

No one was even talking about 'Gregory's Girl', J!! Well, not since Patrick went to Caracas as a result of a discussion about it a fortnight ago..

The film being discussed was 'GEORGY Girl'. Get a grip, man.
Jeez.

> There are some sad people on this board who have had a crush on
> "Gregory's Girl" star Clare Grogan for about 20 years....but
> that's enough about me ........

Hiya. Not hard.

New apartments within a 2-block radius are renting for $450 to $650 per bedroom, compared to my less than $200 per bedroom. The 4-bedroom places should be in the $800 or even $900 per month range. That's still only $225 per person!

I may do a little light stuff

Like painting. But I've budgeted for the big stuff like the roof and siding, and my projections are based on having the pros do it.

Yep, I've got two other buildings now and my home. That's well over $1M. I agree with you on real estate vs. paper securities. I'm actually licensed 6 & 63 (mutuals and life insurance), but I haven't practiced in nearly a decade. Real estate is really more like a part-time job compared to stocks. But I've consistently earned something on the order of 30% per year, every year for more than 12 years on my real estate. There's nothing like knowing that every month I'm paying myself something like $7,000 in equity and appreciation in addition to the $3,000 cash flow. That's a hell of a good gig. Believe me, though, it keeps you up some nights.

Thanks for the kind words. You pocketing big money when your house sells?

Hahaha

> Thanks for the kind words. You pocketing big money when your house sells?

Ah, no. I am paying off a mortgage, climbing out of debt, and splitting the change with my little brother. It won't be a huge amount of money, but I'll be able to make a fresh start without too much trouble. With any luck I can look forward to an apartment-dwelling, globe-trotting future where I can pick up and move every 2-3 years and be free, free, free and independent.

At this point, I'd rather be free and live lean than be tied down to real estate or anything. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few years. Do you know what I mean?

Anyhow, I'm glad to see you living and flourishing within the dream that Carlton Sheets sells. It takes sterner stuff than what I'm made of, that's for sure!

> No one was even talking about 'Gregory's Girl', J!! Well, not since
> Patrick went to Caracas as a result of a discussion about it a fortnight
> ago..

> The film being discussed was 'GEORGY Girl'. Get a grip, man.
> Jeez.

Ooooops . Sorry Bluenose. I must have slipped off into fantasy world again.

I think you may need glasses. I wonder what has caused this sudden deterioration of your eyesight

> Ooooops . Sorry Bluenose. I must have slipped off into fantasy world
> again.

Re: Hiya. Not hard.

> New apartments within a 2-block radius are renting for $450 to $650 per
> bedroom, compared to my less than $200 per bedroom. The 4-bedroom places
> should be in the $800 or even $900 per month range. That's still only $225
> per person!
That's unbelievable the rent is so low. Can you raise them now or do you have to wait until the tenants leases are up?
This is such an exciting opportunity for you and I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you

No, I have to honor the leases that are currently in place. And I don't want to shock my new tenants, anyway. I have low rent at my other places, though not quite as low relative to size and location. The motto of my company is "Affordable apartments with unmatched customer service". I've found that by keeping the rents just a hair below my competition, and by providing excellent customer service (fast repairs, continuous facilities upgrades), I get and keep good tenants. I've had one that has stayed with me now for 7 years. Several have been with me for 3 or 4 years. And this is a town with VERY high turnover for apartments.

Every year I send all of my tenants a holiday card with a $25 gift certificate to one of our local super stores. When a new tenant moves in, I have either a gift basket or a bottle of sparkling grape juice in the fridge with a "welcome home" card. It doesn't take much to treat people with dignity. If they pay me $500 per month and stay with me for 3 years, they're paying me $18,000. That deserves some recognition and it is something I keep in mind always.

Back
Top Bottom