MORRISSEY IN LA LA LAND

K

KMOZ

do you think his living and breathing in LA has changed his outlook as an artist, made him stronger, weaker, accessible, effectual, enhanced him or brought him down.....?

LA - ruined as an artist, happier as a person

LA has ruined him artistically.

It has made him a happier person.

Then again, from an artisic/lyrical standpoint, he may have just lost his muse post-Vauxhall.

here's hoping that the new album won't be shite,

~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) - + { } [ ] : ; < > / ?

Re: LA - ruined as an artist, happier as a person

I don't think it's fair to say that L.A. "ruined" Morrissey. Was he not living in England at the time of "Southpaw Grammar" and "Maladjusted"? And I know for a fact he was living there when he made "Kill Uncle." Don't get me wrong. I like all of these albums. But the fact remains that all of them were critically reviled for the most part and nobody goes around saying that England "ruined" Morrissey, although it may have. The man himself has said that he has been deeply hurt by the way England has treated him, the press, some of the fans. Perhaps his dry spell can be blamed on his relocation, but I think there may be other things more worthy of blame.

Personally, I think this whole "blame L.A." thing has been motivated in large part by people's jealousy over Morrissey's adoration for his Mexican fans. I admit that it gets to be a bit much at times, but hey, England had it's chance. At least his Mexican fans have never turned on him because they misinterpreted his lyrics. (They seem to have at least a working knowledge of the concept of "personae" unlike the NME. That is, they don't assume that the speaker of every song is the writer his or herself.) And they certainly don't blame the place he lived or lives for his more underwhelming songs and/or albums. I really do chalk this up to sour grapes because some people (not I) would argue that by the time Morrissey got here, there wasn't much of an artist left to ruin. I do not, I repeat, agree with that statement. Rather I think the man has got some life in him yet and I hope to be pleasantly surprised when his new album comes out.

Re: LA - ruined as an artist, happier as a person

I agree with much of what you said, although I do feel the lyrics have declined a bit since Vauxhall IMHO.

Speak soon.

> do you think his living and breathing in LA has changed his outlook as an
> artist, made him stronger, weaker, accessible, effectual, enhanced him or
> brought him down.....?

how can anyone tell? we've heard a total of 5 new songs on the last tour, and who knows if those are actually the best ones.

tour wise, i understand he was incredibly peppy the last go around, putting on really good shows...which was a big improvement over the 1997 tour...

> how can anyone tell? we've heard a total of 5 new songs on the last tour,
> and who knows if those are actually the best ones.

> tour wise, i understand he was incredibly peppy the last go around,
> putting on really good shows...which was a big improvement over the 1997
> tour...

His last two albums in my opinion have been below his usual standard, I don't think that really means anything fatal though, I'm confident the new one will be in the same class as Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall...

As for living in L.A, it's bound to change his outlook, but it doesn't mean I won't be able to relate to him anymore because I live in England, he's still living on Earth for godsake.

Well, living and breathing in LA can't have done anything for the man's health, with the amount of air pollution down there.

And all that sun has certainly aged him dramatically. Give the poor fellow some sunscreen!

Aside from that, who knows? Can his seemingly improved mood and outlook be attributed to his surroundings, or to a maturity that just comes with age, regardless of where one lives? Only he can really say.

> Well, living and breathing in LA can't have done anything for the man's
> health, with the amount of air pollution down there.

The most polluted state is now Texas. Hurrah. And metropolitan areas in the UK aren't exactly known for their astoundingly fresh air. Anyway, the air quality in L.A. seems to have improved dramatically over the last few years. As a child who grew up just outside L.A. in a town with an oil refinery, I have lots of memories of lock-ups. That's when the air quality would be so bad that there we'd have to lock ourselves inside classrooms and tape around the doors and windows. Most of the time, it was just a drill (I mean, seriously, it's not like during the summer, when it's hottest and the air is often worst, I was ever overcome by noxious fumes in the air and had to go into my house and tape up all the air vents!) But anyway, there has actually been a visible change in the L.A. skyline over the last half decade or so. The state is pretty serious about emissions laws. That's why so many businesses packed up and started polluting Texas (Bush's legacy of not giving a f*** about the environment continues). So yeah, what's my point? I don't think breathing the L.A. air is any worse for Morrissey than was breathing Mancunian or London air. But I could be wrong.

> And all that sun has certainly aged him dramatically. Give the poor fellow
> some sunscreen!

If he doesn't wear sunscreen, it's his own damn fault. I mean, I don't wear it either, but I'm not a big fan of the great outdoors either. But if I die of skin cancer, I'll know who to blame. Anyway, Morrissey has always been a sun worshiper. Remember those rare Smiths-era photos of him lounging poolside, shirtless and wearing swim trunks? Very sexy, but very un-miserable too. I also recall some interviews from that time period where he talks proudly of having achieved a good tan while in the States but having had to relinquish it at customs. He made some charming quip about it seeming to be illegal to have a tan in England. So again, not L.A.'s fault. This is just what he likes, or so it seems.

> Aside from that, who knows? Can his seemingly improved mood and outlook be
> attributed to his surroundings, or to a maturity that just comes with age,
> regardless of where one lives? Only he can really say.

But yes, I'm glad you are sensible and don't blame L.A. for Morrissey's alleged decline. Yay! And sorry for being so pedantic as per usual.

stop ranting and showing off you beached whale

You are a 20 year old Peabody who thinks she knows it all but you don't. I know exactly what university in California you attend, I know friends of yours, and they have told me that you look up 90% of what you write before you say it. These are not your words regarding Texas as I just found nearly identical comments with identical sentences on the web to see if it was true that it you were a plagiarist.

You say : "'Ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
And you claim these words as your own
But I've read well, and I've heard them said
A hundred times (maybe less, maybe more)
If you must write prose and poems
The word you use should be your own
Don't plagiarise or take "on loan"
There's always someone, somewhere
With a big nose, who knows
And trips you up and laughs
When you fall
Who'll trip you up and laugh
When you fall

You say : "Long done do does did"
Words which could only be your own
And then produce the text
From whence was ripped
(Some dizzy whore, 1804)

Re: stop ranting and showing off you beached whale

Wow. And now I know how Mr. Improper feels with people pretending they know me and my friends. Complete bullshit as I don't associate with many people at my university (although I don't doubt you know which I go to because I've posted the name here more than a few times -- USC). Nobody I go to school with would know if I look stuff up or not. Like a lot of people, I like to be informed so I will look things up on occasion, but not for the purposes of this site (apart from my old political arguments with Mr. Loafing Oaf, but he did the same). However, I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted that you would suggest I do that much homework for this site. As for your claims about my last post being "ripped off," you can think what you like. It's rather stupid of you though. I didn't say anything that's a big secret or earth-shattering. Everybody here knows it. Why don't you post these identical statements then? Go on, prove it. But sorry, you got nothing. Even if there are similarities, as I said before, they don't mean much.

I will now reproduce my statements about Texas:

"The most polluted state is now Texas." Oh my god. And to think, I thought I was the first person to ever say those words in that combination. I am a horrible, horrible person who steals other people's words. *sarcasm*

"That's why so many businesses packed up and started polluting Texas (Bush's legacy of not giving a f*** about the environment continues)." Now I seriously doubt you'll find that exact phrasing (as you claim) anywhere else. But if you do, it's entirely a coincidence. So go on, I dare you to show me where you found those same exact words and in that order.

And here's a question for you. Precisely which "friends" of mine do you know? There are only maybe two people I go to school with whom I would consider close personal friends who know anything about my private life. And I know you don't know them. Nice bluff though, but I'm going to have to call it.

P.S. There's a note of irony that you may have missed in "Cemetry Gates," as Morrissey has never made any secret of his borrowing (or stealing, depending on one's point of view) entire phrases, stories, and titles for his songs. Case in point: "This Night Has Opened My Eyes." Look it up.

Please don't question my knowledge of The Smiths / Morrissey you 20 year old twat. Say whatever you will but do not do that. The point of Cemetry [sic] Gates was not lost on me.

You are "incorrigible." Look it up!!!

Good Day.

But you had to have noticed the irony of quoting a song by someone whose own fans call certain songs of his "plagiarfests" in reference to my alleged plagiarism (which by the way, you still haven't provided proof of -- because you don't have any). I'm not trying to teach you about the meanings behind Morrissey's words. I'm just pointing out your own hypocrisy, which by the way, is reinforced by the fact that you can't even call me a plagiarist in your own words. You had to quote Morrissey.

And you still haven't told me which friends of mine you know. But then, that's to be expected coming from a liar like yourself.

> I don't think breathing the L.A. air is any worse
> for Morrissey than was breathing Mancunian or London air. But I could be
> wrong.

No, you're damn right. A day in London results in black bogies (I'm sure Patrick would back me up on that one)it can be that dirty and smoggy.

As for Manchester, I needed mouth to mouth (no one offered ) to resuscitate me the other day, as I stood on Oxford Road behind a Magic Bus that was farting out a black cloud from the exhaust pipe. I think they run on burning rubber with old pants.

Re: I have 'la la land ' patented..........

......next time you want to use it , ask for permission.
My lawyers will be in touch in the morning.

McCann - the originator of any good patter on Moz-solo. But too modest to say so.

Re: Now fatty's an impersonator too???

When does this nightmare end mindy???? Now you're impersonating a smart person????? I knew you were phony.

Hey Mr. Improper. The person is lying. Notice how they provide no facts to back up their claims. Type any of what I said into a search engine and I'm sure you will find that I have not plagiarized anyone.

Not that I need to justify myself to you. But whatever. It's a lot like the people who have been claiming to know bartenders who know you. Nobody here knows any of my school friends. At most, they may have met a couple of my friends from my old job at some shows (but only if they're local), but those people don't know anything about how I know what I know. And they also aren't the types to talk shit about me either because in real life, I'm actually a very nice person and I am friends with very nice people.

In any case, I don't have to pretend to be a smart person. I don't have to pretend to be anything. What you see is what you get. My words are my own, unless I tell you otherwise. If I'm quoting someone, I'll tell you about it or else make it so obvious that there is no doubt as to my intentions.

Mindy......STOP with the book reports!!!!!!. Ok,It's cool. Have some yoshinoya and just relax

Not at all! I admire your pedantic-ness! (but please don't correct that last statement, I realize it's not a word, really I do!)

And thanks for the "sensible" comment! Not at all true, but appreciated, nonetheless!

I sense a budding romance between you two...

Who will make the first move?