Tears for Fears reunite

You know, Sybian is another nickname of mine.

Saddle block, Sybian. Won't someone just call me Weiß?

What does...

> Saddle block, Sybian. Won't someone just call me Weiß?

...your wife call you?
And not for nothing, can I ask you something? Do you think marriage is a good idea? Is it something that you'd recommend to other people? I'm just curious. I don't feel good things about the institution of marriage, personally.

Some of us can appreciate a simple pop song.

Some of us were fortunate enough to be present at the unique convergence of New Wave, cable tv, and MTV, which all happened to fall from the skies into our living rooms at the exact same moment that we reached puberty. If you "don't get it", you probably weren't there. That's a shame.

And some of us, even those of us who were fighting in the front lines of the punk wars, who didn't "pogo" like a bunch of poofs but who moshed and slammed, who pissed on cop cars and churches alike, who skirmished with black widow-tatooed, screwdriver-listening-to, knife wielding skin heads (and who have all the requisite scars to show for it) can appreciate the simple pleasure of a well-crafted pop song with a hint of nostaliga without having to flaunt those same scars to prove they were there. We know we were, and that's good enough for us.

pic127446.jpg

Re: I'm sure you can all see the old familiar pattern forming here.....

> Before I start, I love my north american readers and the time I've spent
> there.
> The following bands do not register in the minds of average-age ( 30 -40?)
> Smiths fans in the UK.
> Duran duran, , depeche mode, a flock of seagulls, tears for fears, the
> thomson twins. None of them escape finger-pointing ridicule.
> I've left out the cure because they maybe, just maybe, don't quite fit in
> with this grouping.
> I was away during the 80's and paid no attention , generally speaking, to
> what was going on. It's only since then that I've learned of this enormous
> difference between Smiths fans in the UK and the US.
> There's a certain irony that all these bands are British as well. I, for
> one, don't get it. I'm simply stating a fact.
> But my north american readers should be aware that we point at these bands
> and laugh very loudly.
> As the posts from established Moz-solo regulars like PD, Johnny, and Ruff
> have already indicated.
> It truly is a most perplexing mystery.
> For some reason, something happened somewhere over the atlantic to bring
> about this COMPLETELY different mind-set.

It is a tad perplexing Pat but you can some it up in this way. By the age of 14 you already know that "Tears For Fears" the girls from "Duran Duran","Depeche Mode" etc are shite.

They were the sort of bands that your wee sister like but ony if she had particulary shite taste in music.

I could rattle off the bands that the American Smiths fans like and to a man they have been and always will be scoffed at by UK Smiths fans who by and large looked to the punk,indie scene for their inspiration.

Where as a UK Smiths fans would explore The Wedding Present, The Fall,2 Tone etc our friends in the States are more than happy to cherish a Genesis album that no one under the age of 48 would dare buy in the UK.

You have to remember that in the USA AOR is still their staple diet.Any day now we will see a post saying that Chicago,Foreigner or Rush have a new album out.

It's laughable but it's a fact.Bands that were looked up here for their emotion,aggression and brilliance barely sold a record in the States.

The Jam sold nothing over there which says it all really.

So we just have to accept the fact that we are both different and thank God that we never have to worry about friends popping round and seeing a "Tears For Fears" C.D nestling in be sides "The Smiths".
How could you ever live it down ?

Another difference in US and UK Smiths fans

I get the impression that it is more the American contingent that wish and wonder why The Smiths were never commercially successful. The latest poll on the homepage is asking opinion on reasons for this. People who ask this question seem to think that if a band is spankingly brilliant, they MUST have chart success. The reality is, this would have ruined a band like The Smiths.

I'd say it is more the UK fans who glad The Smiths never became another REM and had overwieght 40something executives buying their CDs to listen to in the car. One of the great things about The Smiths is they were ostracized by the media and most of the chart record buying public, who lets face is, aren't the brightest of sparks when it comes to taste.

The Smiths never were about being mainstream. Reams of Morrissey's lyrics are on themes like being an outsider. I sometimes wonder if people understand this when they hear songs like 'How Soon Is Now' and 'You've Got Everything Now'. The Smiths were, and still are too intelligent for the masses, and thank f*** for that.

> our friends in the States are more than happy to cherish a
> Genesis album that no one under the age of 48 would dare buy in the UK.

That felt like a slap! I don't think anyone should have to justify ANY music that they like to anyone else:

"As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it." - Mahatma Gandhi

Weißy?

> Marriage is great. I've done it twice!

Thanks for your honest opinion. I won't be running out and getting married any time soon, but it's nice to know that there are people out there with strange names who are living and loving the joy that is the union of marriage.

Re: Some of us can appreciate a simple pop song.

Although I wasn't there at the onset of cable tv and MTV (I was in a foreign country enjoying myself outdoors), the other established UK Smiths fans on this forum were.
How do you explain their opinion on the matter??
As I stated, this thread was showing the old familiar pattern before my post was entered.
As for the punk thing, you've really got me laughing now. Pissing on cop cars? Churches? You mean, inanimate objects? Wow, that takes real guts.
By the way, having tattoos and listening to skrewdriver has never made anyone any tougher - fact. You should know these things.
'Skirmishing' with skinheads? What do you mean, in a balletic way? Sounds a bit 'handbags' to me. We didn't skirmish. Girls skirmish.
You're so young and clueless (twelve years younger than me) that you didn't even have the brains to hide your 'The Biggest Blow' record.
Real original UK punks point at that and laugh very loudly.
Now run along. Amateur.

> Some of us were fortunate enough to be present at the unique convergence
> of New Wave, cable tv, and MTV, which all happened to fall from the skies
> into our living rooms at the exact same moment that we reached puberty. If
> you "don't get it", you probably weren't there. That's a shame.

> And some of us, even those of us who were fighting in the front lines of
> the punk wars, who didn't "pogo" like a bunch of poofs but who
> moshed and slammed, who pissed on cop cars and churches alike, who
> skirmished with black widow-tatooed, screwdriver-listening-to, knife
> wielding skin heads (and who have all the requisite scars to show for it)
> can appreciate the simple pleasure of a well-crafted pop song with a hint
> of nostaliga without having to flaunt those same scars to prove they
> were there. We know we were, and that's good enough for us.

Re: Every major punk player is older than me. Now run along. Boy.

> "As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep
> it." - Mahatma Gandhi

Ah, Mahatma Ghandi. The only Indian that John Wayne couldn't kill.

Word. We'

We're all here because we love The Smiths and Morrissey. I wouldn't care if the president of the J-lo fan club came to Moz-solo.com, so long as their appreciate for The Smiths & Morrissey was genuine. Some people just never matured past that point in their early-teen years where they thought other people's opinions of them meant something.

Re: Another difference in US and UK Smiths fans

Brilliantly put Bluebles (you're full of surprises tonight).
As I am almost sick to the back teeth with saying - now listen carefully kids- if..it..is..loved..by..the..great..unthinking..masses..it..MUST..be..shite.

All you have to do is consider their taste in newspapers, tv, and movies. It stands to reason that their cd racks will be groaning under the weight of tons of plastic shite.

> I get the impression that it is more the American contingent that wish and
> wonder why The Smiths were never commercially successful. The latest poll
> on the homepage is asking opinion on reasons for this. People who ask this
> question seem to think that if a band is spankingly brilliant, they MUST
> have chart success. The reality is, this would have ruined a band like The
> Smiths.

> I'd say it is more the UK fans who glad The Smiths never became another
> REM and had overwieght 40something executives buying their CDs to listen
> to in the car. One of the great things about The Smiths is they were
> ostracized by the media and most of the chart record buying public, who
> lets face is, aren't the brightest of sparks when it comes to taste.

> The Smiths never were about being mainstream. Reams of Morrissey's lyrics
> are on themes like being an outsider. I sometimes wonder if people
> understand this when they hear songs like 'How Soon Is Now' and 'You've
> Got Everything Now'. The Smiths were, and still are too intelligent for
> the masses, and thank f*** for that.

Why should I run when you're too old to catch me at a leisurely stroll?

Re: As your president would say - don't misunderestimate me. Articulate guy. And he's the leader??

Whose is worse? The idiot, or the idiot's lickspittle?

Bush is too stupid to know he's a fool. What's Blair's excuse?

Re: Another difference in US and UK Smiths fans

I have these sparks of sense every-so-often. The next bout of sanity should be about 2005.

> Brilliantly put Bluebles (you're full of surprises tonight).
> As I am almost sick to the back teeth with saying - now listen carefully
> kids-
> if..it..is..loved..by..the..great..unthinking..masses..it..MUST..be..shite.

> All you have to do is consider their taste in newspapers, tv, and movies.
> It stands to reason that their cd racks will be groaning under the weight
> of tons of plastic shite.

Maybe Suzanne can show us more pictures from her vacation?

Back
Top Bottom