Just a silly news story - No Moz

T

Tingle

From the BBC

'Ooh Betty' mimic in spot of trouble

A charity worker has admitted impersonating comedy character Frank Spencer on police airwaves using an officer's radio.
Nathan Stack, 21, interrupted police frequencies in the Worthing area with catchphrases memorised from the BBC TV comedy Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Lewes Crown Court heard.
He pleaded guilty on Wednesday to charges of theft, after finding the radio at a filling station, and sending false messages under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.
The court heard how Stack, an assistant team leader for The Prince's Trust from Littlehampton, tuned in to police frequencies twice an evening for a week to mimic lines by actor Michael Crawford in the cult 1970s show.

'Ooh Betty'

The court heard the catchphrases included "Ooh Betty" and such lines as "Goodbye little fairies I must leave on the double, I would like to stay for one more day but I'm in a spot of trouble".

Stack was caught after his car was stopped by police on suspicion of speeding and he said "Can I help you officer?" in a voice impersonating Frank Spencer.
The traffic officer recognised the voice - and arrested Stack after a search of his car uncovered the radio beneath a seat.

'Bit of fun'

Stack, of York Gardens, told the court he thought it was "fair enough" he had been prosecuted, but he had believed it was just a bit of fun.
He claimed the officers questioning him had tried not to laugh while ordering him off the airwaves and later during interview.
Magistrates adjourned sentence on Stack for four weeks for reports to be prepared.

He was granted bail, but warned that all sentencing options remained open.
Sussex Police have ruled out disciplinary action against the officer who lost the radio after an investigation concluded it was due to "a genuine reason brought about by operational police requirements."

Link to story
_39375482_crawford_203ind.jpg

OK my turn- No Moz

Here's my funny story:
SEPTEMBER 12--North Carolina cops are searching for a guy who successfully passed a $200 bill bearing George W. Bush's portrait and a drawing of the White House complete with lawn signs reading "We like ice cream" and "USA deserves a tax cut." The phony Bush bill--a copy of which you'll find below--was presented to a cashier at a Food Lion in Roanoke Rapids on September 6 by an unidentified male who was seeking to pay for $150 in groceries. Remarkably, the cashier accepted the counterfeit note and gave the man $50 change. In a separate incident involving a different perp, Roanoke Rapids cops Tuesday arrested Michael Harris, 24, for attempting last month to pass an identical $200 Bush bill at a convenience store. (3 pages)

pic125758.jpg

Re: Reason 1,498,900 to fear Americans.

LOL, Can you imagine the person at the Food Lion that actually took it. Everytime I look at bill I notice something new.

Wanna see the bunny dish?

Arts & Crafts-era antiques are really an aquired taste. So I won't be offended if you don't like it.

We first saw a candle snufter from this short series of arts & crafts-era metalwork about 4 years ago on eBay. And we watched it sell for much more than we could afford back then

Fast forward to about 6 months ago. We happened upon this piece on eBay. The seller claimed it had been in their family for many years, and they assumed it had been made by the company named on a since-lost tag: Shreve & Co. (who were simply the retailers). Big mistake on their part. And it also kept other bidders from even finding it.

This hand-tooled silver, copper, bronze and oak chafing dish by master metalsmith Joseph Heinrichs (circa 1910) now resides in our foyer. Unfortunately, the pictures can't begin to do it justice. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is mind-blowing. The expression on the faces of the rabbits and the way they're stretching their legs and necks to see what's in the dish is hysterical. Whimsical, practical, and beautiful. It must have taken weeks to make. And it is my favorite Arts & Crafts piece.

Ours:

And the example in the Dallas Museum of Art, from Silver in America 1840-1940 by Charles Venable:

pic125794.jpg

YES!!!!!

> Arts & Crafts-era antiques are really an aquired taste. So I won't be
> offended if you don't like it.

> We first saw a candle snufter from this short series of arts &
> crafts-era metalwork about 4 years ago on eBay. And we watched it sell for
> much more than we could afford back then

> Fast forward to about 6 months ago. We happened upon this piece on eBay.
> The seller claimed it had been in their family for many years, and they
> assumed it had been made by the company named on a since-lost tag: Shreve
> & Co. (who were simply the retailers). Big mistake on their part. And
> it also kept other bidders from even finding it.

> This hand-tooled silver, copper, bronze and oak chafing dish by master
> metalsmith Joseph Heinrichs (circa 1910) now resides in our foyer.
> Unfortunately, the pictures can't begin to do it justice. The
> craftsmanship and attention to detail is mind-blowing. The expression on
> the faces of the rabbits and the way they're stretching their legs and
> necks to see what's in the dish is hysterical. Whimsical, practical, and
> beautiful. It must have taken weeks to make. And it is my favorite Arts
> & Crafts piece.

> Ours:
> And the example in the Dallas Museum of Art, from Silver in America
> 1840-1940 by Charles Venable:
Thank you for posting it.I love the bunnies looking into the dish. What is inside the silver on top of the lid? I like yours better than the other one. It looks like that one was cleaned whereas yours has original patina to it. Well worth the suspense.

Thank you

Yeah, the rabbits on their piece are much, much lighter than ours. They do look like they've been cleaned. Our wood isn't as nice as theirs, but I think some tonge oil would probably be all we need to do to it. The handle on the top is a piece of oak cut to look kind of like a mushroom. Here's a close-up. Sorry for the crappy image...

pic125887.jpg

Re: Thank you

> Yeah, the rabbits on their piece are much, much lighter than ours. They do
> look like they've been cleaned. Our wood isn't as nice as theirs, but I
> think some tonge oil would probably be all we need to do to it. The handle
> on the top is a piece of oak cut to look kind of like a mushroom. Here's a
> close-up. Sorry for the crappy image...
NO, It's great. My compliments to the photographer. I especially love the label!
I like the handle the way it is and overall I much prefer yours. With the first picture I thought the handle top was a polished stone.

Back
Top Bottom