Have you ever wondered if you would have befriended Morrissey before he was famous?

D

Dumbles

I'm full of questions today, aren't I? I've thought about this, so I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to think some of you may have, too. Do you think that pre-fame Morrissey is the kind of person you would have befriended or tried to befriend? Or is Morrissey's only value to you in the music that he makes?
I've always loved the music, but I've always been more fascinated in Morrissey as a person, and for this reason I've always wondered what it might be like to be friends with him and pick his brain on any number of topics. If I'd known him before he was famous, would he and I be friends? I'd like to think so.
But realistically, it probably wouldn't have happened. Yeah, we're both Nico fans. But he seems to like Nico albums (Chelsea Girl) and songs ("Frozen Warnings") that I don't like. I think that if I were in Manchester in the late 70's, he and I would be hissing at each other from different sections of the record store. He'd be there with his Patti Smith albums and his "Lesbian Liberation" button looking at punk and cajun albums and I'd be in the Progressive Rock section, with my science fiction fascination cursing all things punk. We wouldn't have had much in common except for a shared outsider instinct and a love for books and music in general.
What about you guys?

as a matter of interest I did go to record shops in Manchester in the late '70's as well as other venues. I would have be in the same section as Morrissey but that doesn't mean that I'd befriend him or want to for that matter. That was then & I don't think my values have diversified much since.
I like my popstar where I can see him but out of touch, thank you very much. Listening to & reading about Morrissey I'm not to sure I would want him as a mate either, I love his work (well 99%) of it anyway & I'm intrigued by him & would defend him to the hilt (haven't we all?) from 'outsiders' but to try to get to know him, well I'm not sure it would be possible given the opportunity or whether I'd be up for it personally. So I'm happy just being fanatical.

Grim O'Grady
(we hate it when our friends...)

I'm not Morrisseys friend now so it doesn't make any difference if he was famous or not. I find it interesting to think what type of person I would have been if they hadn't been no Smiths, what different intrests would I have had or would everything have been the same? Who knows.

You shouldn't like people just because they are famous, I still get star-struck when I meet famous people but after a while you realise theyre just ordinary folk just like me or you.

PANIC

tosserian... you are so popular that's why you change your name so often

Back
Top Bottom