Reflection: My Early Burglary Years

H

Harsh Truth

I popped this CD in today on my drive to work. Haven't listened to it in ages. It is quite a strange collection, isn't it??

1. Sunny
2. At Amber
3. Cosmic Dancer (live 6/1/1991)
4. Nobody Loves Us
5. Swallow on My Neck
6. Sister I'm a Poet
7. Black-Eyed Susan
8. Michael's Bones
9. I'd Love To (US version)
10. Reader Meet Author
11. Pashernate Love
12. Girl Least Likely To
13. Jack The Ripper (live Paris 12/22/92)
14. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty(US version)
15. The Boy Racer
16. Boxers

I know that Morrissey and The Smiths have always been known for oddball compliations, and this is no different. Here are a few things that jump out at me:

-Why not the STUDIO version of 'Jack the Ripper'???!!!!

-I REALLY like 'Reader Meets Author,' however this and 'Boy Racer' are both out of place on this compilation, as they are official Album Tracks. Why not include "There Speaks a True Friend" and "You Must Please Remember" instead?

-"Michaels Bones" doesn't really do it for me. However, I LOVE "I've Changed my Plea To Guilty."

Anyone else have some thoughts?

I always that that My Early Burglary Years had the weirdest order of tracks. I never liked that it openned with Sunny. At Amber & Cosmic Dancer are not good openners either. If it had openned with Track 4, Nobody Loves Us, which is one of my top 5 favorite Morrissey songs, I would have liked the beginning of the disc. Michael's Bones & I'd Love To go together quite well to me. To me, the entire CD is filled will too much moving around in time. I know compilation CDs do not have to be in order of in which each track was released but it is nice that way sometimes.

My Early Burglary Years is no where near the order I would have made it. It goes from New to Old and back again...

my homepage
pic115995.jpg

Agreed

> My Early Burglary Years is no where near the order I would have made it.
> It goes from New to Old and back again...

Just look at the last handful of tracks:

10. Reader Meet Author
11. Pashernate Love
12. Girl Least Likely To
13. Jack The Ripper (live Paris 12/22/92)
14. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty(US version)
15. The Boy Racer
16. Boxers

What a mish-mash of songs. There is no cohesive flow here at all. These songs just don't go well together back-to-back. I mean, from the soft "I've changed my Plea" to the very hard "Boy Racer." Doesn't really make sense.

Re: Radio Days?

> Anyone else have some thoughts?

MEBY is more like listening to an odd collection of songs on the radio, and that's not all bad. I got the CD out to listen to while I was a lazy sunbather this afternoon, and it was delightful to close my eyes and listen to some interesting songs.

Of course I followed that with the '68 cast recording of "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris!" I do enjoy an eclectic mix of music.

> MEBY is more like listening to an odd collection of songs on the radio,
> and that's not all bad. I got the CD out to listen to while I was a lazy
> sunbather this afternoon, and it was delightful to close my eyes and
> listen to some interesting songs.

> Of course I followed that with the '68 cast recording of "Jacques
> Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris!" I do enjoy an eclectic
> mix of music.

How many CD's did this complilation sell?

Here's a novel idea!

Select 'random' on the CD player and see if it puts the tracks in release order!

What an ace probability Maths project that would make.

> How many CD's did this complilation sell?

I don't know but it's an interesting question. I think I'll go 'googling' for a Jacques Brel website and try to find out.
I'll let you know.

Re: Here's a novel idea!

> Select 'random' on the CD player and see if it puts the tracks in release
> order!

> What an ace probability Maths project that would make.

The probability of the tracks being played in release order, assuming genuine randomness and a definitive release order, is 20,922,789,888,000 to one.

If your criteria allowed tracks originally appearing on the same release (e.g. the Southpaw songs) to be played in any order these odds would be cut significantly.

However, I would still be a little surprised if it happened.