I think I know where the "Go on" at the start of Roys Keen is from.

D

Dan

i don't know if you've ever discussed this, but the Roys Keen sample is from:

Trees Lounge - a film directed/written/starring Steve Buscemi. It's a good film. The guy says "Go on" when he's throwing them out of his house, because his wife is calling.

Yeah, Trees Lounge was a really good movie. Good directing effort by Steve Buscemi.¿ i don't know if you've ever discussed this, but the Roys Keen¿ sample is from:¿ Trees Lounge - a film directed/written/starring Steve Buscemi.¿ It's a good film. The guy says "Go on" when he's¿ throwing them out of his house, because his wife is calling.

> Yeah, Trees Lounge was a really good movie. Good directing¿ effort by Steve Buscemi.

I like steve..he makes me laugh....trees lounge huh? should I rent it?

it's a good movie, so I would if I were you. Anyway, Moz must have watched it so that makes it worth watching, doesn't it?
it's fun to play roys keen while watching. Go on!

I'm not sure. Check it out.

> it's a good movie, so I would if I were you. Anyway, Moz must¿ have watched it so that makes it worth watching, doesn't it?¿ it's fun to play roys keen while watching. Go on!

Are you sure it's from the film? I've heard British people say "Go on" all the time. It could just be one of the band members spicing up the song. After all, the song start's with all this digital delay nonsense, then after "Go on!", the REAL song starts. Someone watch the movie with CD player in hand and compare the speeches. It's odd that Moz sample something so recent, when he sampled lines from older films during The Smiths.

Re: I'm not sure. Check it out.

> Are you sure it's from the film? I've heard British people say¿ "Go on" all the time. It could just be one of the band¿ members spicing up the song. After all, the song start's with¿ all this digital delay nonsense, then after "Go on!",¿ the REAL song starts. Someone watch the movie with CD player in¿ hand and compare the speeches. It's odd that Moz sample¿ something so recent, when he sampled lines from older films¿ during The Smiths.

I'm gonna rent Trees Lounge to check this out. I've seent he film before and it's tops, so even if it's not where it's from, it's worth renting again anyway. If Dan is right, I believe he may be the first one to have spotted that. Give him props on the next Morrissey FAQ!

You don't think Morrissey watches recent films? He's always seemed like a film buff type to me, so I'd say he does.

> Are you sure it's from the film? I've heard British people say¿ "Go on" all the time. It could just be one of the band¿ members spicing up the song. After all, the song start's with¿ all this digital delay nonsense, then after "Go on!",¿ the REAL song starts. Someone watch the movie with CD player in¿ hand and compare the speeches. It's odd that Moz sample¿ something so recent, when he sampled lines from older films¿ during The Smiths.

I've always thought that it was one of the band members (maybe Spencer?) taking the piss out of American English. It sounds awfully So. Cal./Valley to me.

Cheers,

Jamie

PS--Now that we're on the topic of samples, does anybody have any idea where they got that bit of dialogue that trickles in all distorted towards the end of The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils. Or maybe this is too anal retentive?

He is...

> I'm gonna rent Trees Lounge to check this out. I've seent he¿ film before and it's tops, so even if it's not where it's from,¿ it's worth renting again anyway. If Dan is right, I believe he¿ may be the first one to have spotted that. Give him props on the¿ next Morrissey FAQ!¿ You don't think Morrissey watches recent films? He's always¿ seemed like a film buff type to me, so I'd say he does.

In his last Modern Rock Live appearance, Morrissey said he watched a foreign film from a couple of years ago called, "Kolya" and he really liked it. I also believe he referred to "Career Girls" from the great director, Mike Leigh because there is a scene where a guy wearing a Smiths' shirt is having sex with one of the main characters.

Re: He is...

> there is a scene where a guy wearing a¿ Smiths' shirt is having sex with one of the main characters.

Remeber that report posted in the news section about Smiths fans not getting any? What's to say of this movie, then? Or the report?

> In his last Modern Rock Live appearance, Morrissey said he¿ watched a foreign film from a couple of years ago called,¿ "Kolya" and he really liked it.

Kolya - sad movie about the guy who gets stuck with his ex-lover's son. Made me cry. Anywho...
don't forget that he obviously enjoyed "Romper Stomper," and it's been reported that he's a big "Friends" fan, for what it's worth.

I also believe he referred to "Career Girls" from the great director,¿ Mike Leigh because there is a scene where a guy wearing a¿ Smiths' shirt is having sex with one of the main characters.
--------
In his "Life is Sweet," the brilliant (and unshaven) Jane Horrocks wears a Smiths shirt. Then she covers herself in chocolate sauce and screws David Thewlis.

> In his last Modern Rock Live appearance, Morrissey said he¿ watched a foreign film from a couple of years ago called,¿ "Kolya" and he really liked it. I also believe he¿ referred to "Career Girls" from the great director,¿ Mike Leigh because there is a scene where a guy wearing a¿ Smiths' shirt is having sex with one of the main characters.

Kolya is terrific. Career Girls by Leigh's standards (a bit contrived) but it has top acting on display.

> In his last Modern Rock Live appearance, Morrissey said he¿ watched a foreign film from a couple of years ago called,¿ "Kolya" and he really liked it. I also believe he¿ referred to "Career Girls" from the great director,¿ Mike Leigh because there is a scene where a guy wearing a¿ Smiths' shirt is having sex with one of the main characters.

I think Moz related to Kolya 'cos the musician's mother told him that musicians shouldn't get married and have kids.

> Kolya - sad movie about the guy who gets stuck with his¿ ex-lover's son. Made me cry. Anywho...

Ex-lover? No, it was a pretend marriage so she could get her Russian papers and he could make some money. Then she fled to Germany to her actual lover and left Kolya w/ his *babushka* who then croked.¿ don't forget that he obviously enjoyed "Romper¿ Stomper," and it's been reported that he's a big¿ "Friends" fan, for what it's worth.

Until Moz actually says he likes Friends I'm not gonna believe it 'cos that's one of the stoopidest sitcoms to ever get on TV.

Why, you are correct.

> I also believe he referred to "Career Girls" from the¿ great director,¿ --------¿ In his "Life is Sweet," the brilliant (and unshaven)¿ Jane Horrocks wears a Smiths shirt. Then she covers herself in¿ chocolate sauce and screws David Thewlis.

Mike Leigh has some great taste when it comes to his character's favorite bands. Way to go Mike! Good show!

Why, yes!

> Kolya is terrific. Career Girls by Leigh's standards (a bit¿ contrived) but it has top acting on display.

Definitely, Career Girls is not Mike Leigh's best movie, but like you said, the acting was incredible, as always in a Mike Leigh movie (i.e. Secrets & Lies, Naked, etc., etc...). It was a good movie, nonetheless. Katrin Cartlidge gives a stand out performance as well as the other main character with the skin condition whose name I forgot (I believe it was her first film role). What is this, Siskel & Ebert? Ah well, the Brits excel in any form of art whether it be film, music, theater, and so on and so on.

> Ex-lover? No, it was a pretend marriage so she could get her¿ Russian papers and he could make some money. Then she fled to¿ Germany to her actual lover and left Kolya w/ his *babushka* who¿ then croked.

I see it's been a while since I saw that little flick....¿ Until Moz actually says he likes Friends I'm not gonna believe¿ it 'cos that's one of the stoopidest sitcoms to ever get on TV.

Hey, makes ME laugh.

> Are you sure it's from the film? I've heard British people say¿ "Go on" all the time. It could just be one of the band¿ members spicing up the song.

It could be, but I have to say it is strange seeing a movie after you have heard sound clips from it elsewhere. When that phrase pops up in the movie, it really leaps out at ya, even if you're not trying to look for it. You expect the song to start kicking in at that second.

As a side note, "The Cockleshell heroes" have been known to pop up on both A&E and the History Channel at weird times, although i haven't looked for any recent showings in months.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to pop my tape in the VCR and see if Mulder decides to kill the alien-human hybrid.

Yum!

All comments will be dealt with rationally
BRAIN.jpg

Re: YEAH KOLJA

Hey there are so many parallels between the Moz and my life: I lived in the Czech Rep. for six years and remember when Kolja was being made there. I still haven't seen it though! I'll rent it later.

Losing In Front Of Your Home Crowd

Re: Why, yes!

> Definitely, Career Girls is not Mike Leigh's best movie, but¿ like you said, the acting was incredible, as always in a Mike¿ Leigh movie (i.e. Secrets & Lies, Naked, etc., etc...). It¿ was a good movie, nonetheless. Katrin Cartlidge gives a stand¿ out performance as well as the other main character with the¿ skin condition whose name I forgot (I believe it was her first¿ film role). What is this, Siskel & Ebert? Ah well, the Brits¿ excel in any form of art whether it be film, music, theater, and¿ so on and so on.

Oops, some words didn't make it in my posting, but I see you understood anyway.

Yeah, Katrin (Katlin? something like that) Cartlidge is usually outstanding and was once again here. I saw her in another pretty good movie on video recently, called BEFORE THE RAIN. The timid character with the skin condition was unlike any I've seen in a movie. You certainly won't see a character like that in a Hollywood movie!

But don't be so nationalistic about a friggin' movie OK! = )

Back
Top Bottom