the wedding present

Re: the wedding present (no Moz)

> what you think of them?

Noisy, foot-tappin, funny, embittered, unfathomable, love-lost, er, JANGLY. 'Tommy' and Hit Parade 1 & 2 are pretty much essential but there should be a warning sticker on the cases because they'll make you drive too fast in your car if you play them on your car stereo.

Re: the wedding present (no Moz)

> Noisy, foot-tappin, funny, embittered, unfathomable, love-lost, er,
> JANGLY. 'Tommy' and Hit Parade 1 & 2 are pretty much essential but
> there should be a warning sticker on the cases because they'll make you
> drive too fast in your car if you play them on your car stereo.

I love "George Best"...both album and footballer.

To be honest I have preferred a lot of Cinerama's stuff(The band David Gedge now has)

thunbs iu!

"I am not always so stupid" is my fave... or maybe "give my love to kevin"

Go buy......

George Best and Seamonsters. Then buy Mini and Bizarro. They are f***ing brilliant. Gedge's voice is unique and full of emotion, and his lyrics are down-to-earth and funny.

Enjoy.

GDx

Re: Cinerama (no Moz)

Just bought 'Holiday' in the Red Cross for £2.50. Hope it's a bargain.....

> I love "George Best"...both album and footballer.

> To be honest I have preferred a lot of Cinerama's stuff(The band David
> Gedge now has)

> Just bought 'Holiday' in the Red Cross for £2.50. Hope it's a bargain.....

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I hate gedge. my old band supported the wedding present once. he was so miserable about everything and he creeped all the girls out that were around.

i also had the misfortune to see him taking a dump! i should really send him the counselling fees!

Felicity

What do you make of The Wedding Present version, TMF?

It was the first version I heard and I think it's as good as the original.

Re: Cinerama (tentative Moz link)

& I DID enjoy it. It's such an unjust world in which 'Superman' does not make #1.

The tentative Moz connection is that I see Sean Hughes is credited with narration on 'Holiday'....and we all know he is a big Morissey fan and was filmed at the Dublin 2002 gig for a TV programme about wheelchair accessibility. THAT's not a good reason for buying a Cinerama LP though! but there are plenty of others.

> I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

superman.gif

Everyone here must own at least ONE Cinerama song.. they're excellent. More tuneful and focussed on the melody than the Weddoes..

Ears, Hard Fast &Beautiful, 146 Degrees.. all classics to name but 3..

Ruffian

Re: Felicity

> What do you make of The Wedding Present version, TMF?

> It was the first version I heard and I think it's as good as the original.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've had a busy week and haven't been here for a few days. The Weddoes version was the first one I heard too. I thought it was a bit of a messy thrash but fun. Then one night, I was at a disco and I heard a song that sounded familiar. It was the original! I acquired a copy not long after that and now I can't hear the WP's version without thinking what a mess it is! Which it is... be honest.

Cringe... a related thing happened a couple of weeks after I'd heard the original "Felicity". I was at another indie disco and a familiar guitar motif started to play. "Aha!" I thought, "it's 'I Found That Essence Rare'". But hang on! Surely they're playing it at the wrong speed?! I was on my way over to the DJ booth to tell them when I realised that it was the Gang of Four original, which I hadn't heard until then. Sigh, the folly of youth.

TMF

> Everyone here must own at least ONE Cinerama song.. they're excellent.
> More tuneful and focussed on the melody than the Weddoes..

> Ears, Hard Fast &Beautiful, 146 Degrees.. all classics to name but 3..

> Ruffian

I love "Your Charms". Swoon. The chords are lovely. Good old Gedge can certainly write songs to sing along too. "Let's Pretend" too (love those strings.)

TMF

> Sorry for the delay in replying - I've had a busy week and haven't been
> here for a few days. The Weddoes version was the first one I heard too. I
> thought it was a bit of a messy thrash but fun. Then one night, I was at a
> disco and I heard a song that sounded familiar. It was the original! I
> acquired a copy not long after that and now I can't hear the WP's version
> without thinking what a mess it is! Which it is... be honest.

> Cringe... a related thing happened a couple of weeks after I'd heard the
> original "Felicity". I was at another indie disco and a familiar
> guitar motif started to play. "Aha!" I thought, "it's 'I
> Found That Essence Rare'". But hang on! Surely they're playing it at
> the wrong speed?! I was on my way over to the DJ booth to tell them when I
> realised that it was the Gang of Four original, which I hadn't heard until
> then. Sigh, the folly of youth.

> TMF

My God !! You poor youngsters! I'm the opposite. I had no idea the WP did 'Felicity' until I read Bluenose's post.
And I had no idea someone does a cover of ' ....Essence Rare'until I read TMF's post.
Who is it, btw? Is it the WP as well??

Ah, the folly of youth indeed.
Being a daft old bastard, I ONLY know the originals.

Btw, I've got a wee story about seeing, or rather NOT seeing, the Gang Of Four in the early days. Do you want to hear it? Oh alright then.

It was the real early days and they were so little-known that the gig was at Glasgow College Of Technology. I can't remember if 'entertainment!' had been released.
Anyway, the gig was held back because Scotland were playing an international that night!!
Apparently some students (and people wonder why I think every student ever in the history of the world ever is a total wanker) had a word with the band that their mates were coming after the game. And the band agreed to delay it!!
An announcement was then broadcast with this info, which sickened me. I had travelled 20 odd miles and would miss the last train or bus out of Glasgow.
I hung around in a daze for a while wondering what to do, when I spotted the band coming towards me . They were out having a wee drink, killing time.
I spoke to Hugo Burnham about it. He was sympathetic and offered to put out a request to see if anyone else was from my area and was maybe there by car.
I told him not to bother. There was hardly anyone there at all, never mind from my shitey wee toon.
So off I went dejected into the cold night. Vomiting.
I finally caught them in Tiffany's in Glasgow about 3 years later!!
Great gig btw.

Aye, I can smile about it now but at the time it was terrible.

Happy days.

> My God !! You poor youngsters! I'm the opposite. I had no idea the WP did
> 'Felicity' until I read Bluenose's post.
> And I had no idea someone does a cover of ' ....Essence Rare'until I read
> TMF's post.
> Who is it, btw? Is it the WP as well??

Yes, the Wedding Present covered both. "Felicity" was done for a Peel Session and later included on the "Tommy" album which compiled their early singles. "I Found That Essence Rare" was recorded for a BBC "Evening Session" in 1986, I think. It was released by Strange Fruit a couple of years later (an attempt to tap into the success of the Peel Session EPs) but I don't know if it's still available.

TMF

> My God !! You poor youngsters! I'm the opposite. I had no idea the WP did
> 'Felicity' until I read Bluenose's post.

You've a lot to learn from us "young folk", old timer!!!

> You've a lot to learn from us "young folk", old timer!!!

I certainly have.
I had no idea all these new bands were doing covers of my old favourites.

It's restored my faith in young people. Nice to see you're not ALL muggers.
Right, I'm off to listen to the wireless. Now, where did I put my glasses? They were here just a minute ago. What have I done with them?

Back
Top Bottom