Peter Hook on Morrissey / Smiths in today's Manchester Evening News

S

Shaun Goater

The following appeared in today's MEN in response to a feature last week stating many of Manchester's musos will be attending the Salford Lads Club radio broadcast next week.

HOOKY IS NO FAN OF THE SMITHS

Looks like old Manc rivalries run deep even today, for New Order's Peter Hook has stated he will not be among those celebrating the 20th anniversary of The Smiths at Salford Lads Club this month.
As Hooky says 'I always thought The Smiths were very over-rated and that the idea that they changed the consciousness of the world is absolutely laughable.
I always thought Morrissey was completely pretentious and many years later I have heard nothing that changes my opinion.
I used to play football at the Salford Lads Club when I was a kid. I grew up in Ordsall and I am immensly proud of my upbringing. Many of my friends still live there, but what irritates me is I know The Smiths drove there in a cab, had their picture taken and scuttled back to Hale, where they belong.
The only celebrating I will be doing on the day will be stopping anyone to do with The Smiths coming through the door.'

End.

I have a ticket for the show so will report back to see if Mr Hook is there on the day turning people away!
The Goat.

Yeah, right!! Like Peter Hook lives in Ordsall

f***ing hypocrite. I bet you won't see him walking down Ordsall Lane

Oh, please don't make fun of peter. He's so nice. So his girlfriend. Do you know he played in Joy Division and New Order, but also Monaco and Revenge. I got kicked off Hooky's website and now I have to come here. Well, I got to feed my cat now.

Re: Yeah, right!! Like Peter Hook lives in Ordsall

> f***ing hypocrite. I bet you won't see him walking down Ordsall Lane

I bet he lives in hell, aka Rural Cheshire

Thanks for the snippet from your friend at teh MEN!!

And Shaun my old son, thanks for the freebies from the states.. I intend to do a collage of pop art postcards, to go with my Moz posters in the art gallery of my hall (if you recall), so the cards will help fulfil my picture plans!!

What about that lovely liverpool result? do you like them more than MAnu?

Watch those lily whites fizzle out into summer infighting and mid table obscurity!! Come on West Ham!

I think if you read it again, it says he grew up there........

Yes, but

it's that whole 'these people are the salt of the earth' type comments that get up my nose. Celebrities who think they're oh so down to earth that they bleat on how they still frequent the 'cold, small streets that trapped them'. They feel as though they have to convince people they still 'belong', when if truth were told, they'd have pissed off as soon as they could afford the bus fare.

Of course The Smiths were going to get a taxi to SLC! In 1986, they were at the peak of their career! It would have caused too much attention!

Re: Andy Rourke is a great friend of Peter Hook so it sounds like rubbish to me.

Andy Rourke, Mani and Peter Hook and Rourkey's manager Nova Rehman all have shares in that club in Macclesfield, Chesher "Cuban Knights". Rourke, Mani and Hook were going to do a project together called 'Cohersion' something to do with Kosovan refugees? And think about it Johnny Marr is good friends with Bernard Sumner! Bass players stick together and are not rivals!

Back
Top Bottom