more pet peeves (for english majors and anal-retentives only)

R

Reality Check

okay, my whole life, i've said "wait in line," "stand in line," etc. now all of a sudden, i've noticed that's it's like the new thing to replace the "in" with "on." am i the only person to find this annoying? i'm not sure that it's incorrect, although it certainly sounds stupid. plus, it leads to confusion due to the internet connotation.

another thing i hate is how people say "supposably." i know it's a real word, but it's such a stupid one. i get the impression that most people who overuse it don't know it's a real word either and just say it because they think they're being cute and endearingly childlike. that makes it all the more obnoxious.

also, why do people say "orientate"? it means the exact same thing as "orient," but sounds clumsier. that's another one of those words that sounds fake and kind of like a mispronunciation of another word. it bothers me so much.

> okay, my whole life, i've said "wait in line," "stand in
> line," etc. now all of a sudden, i've noticed that's it's like the
> new thing to replace the "in" with "on." am i the only
> person to find this annoying? i'm not sure that it's incorrect, although
> it certainly sounds stupid. plus, it leads to confusion due to the
> internet connotation.

It depends where you live. People say "on" in some parts of the east coast. We say "in" in Ohio. They're both equally correct.

Hi Mindy!
You're as idetifiable as ever in spite of your new handle!
I must say I haven't heard this one - must be one of those Americanisms that will no doubt take hold here in a matter of months. Does sound a little ridiculous, unless the line is vertical of course, or your actually physically standing on top of a line.
BTW is it true that Americans have begun taking up the Australianism "no worries" since the Sydney olympics? Nice to see cultural imperialism works in revers sometimes!
Ciao, The Bore.

> Hi Mindy!
> You're as idetifiable as ever in spite of your new handle!
> I must say I haven't heard this one - must be one of those Americanisms
> that will no doubt take hold here in a matter of months. Does sound a
> little ridiculous, unless the line is vertical of course, or your actually
> physically standing on top of a line.
> BTW is it true that Americans have begun taking up the Australianism
> "no worries" since the Sydney olympics? Nice to see cultural
> imperialism works in revers sometimes!
> Ciao, The Bore.

I don't know if Americans have adopted 'no worries'. I do hope, however, that they don't make every sentence sound like a question? Like Australians do? At least the 20 million of them here in London? Know what I mean?

> I don't know if Americans have adopted 'no worries'. I do hope, however,
> that they don't make every sentence sound like a question? Like
> Australians do? At least the 20 million of them here in London? Know what
> I mean?

You mean like Canadians do?? Everything's a question with us. Eh?

Why do people call others "dog"?? or use homey,blood,cuz,dis,off the hook,on line,get on the plane??? these are all stupid as well... let evil kneivel get on the plane..f*** you im gertting IN the plane!!!!. There is no such word as "dog" (there is when refering to an animal) but a person cant be a dog. Same thing as this fascination "we" in america have with using the word "dander"..as in pet dander...Why would you use this word???? It doesnt have anything to do with pets. It means to anger..so why would i want to pick up a pets anger???? Pets are like humans,they naturally have to shit,I dont say "hey,do you have anything for Human dander?" it just sounds stupid. Here's the best one: When you hear an athlete get interviewed by someone on the tv or radio and every other word out of their mouths is" you know"???? no asshole...we dont...thats why we're asking you. I heard an athlete say "you know" 15 times in about a 2 minute interview. Why??? if we "knew" what would the need be for us to ask you of all people????? Saying"hey chris,im standing ON line at the bank" just sounds f***in stupid. but then again,the people who use this little "cute" saying are as well.

> You mean like Canadians do?? Everything's a question with us. Eh?

What is it with this 'eh' thing, Terror? I even noticed they had it on badges and stickers and tee-shirts and stuff. It means 'yes', right? It's like a cross between 'yeah' and 'aye'.
And not forgetting 'I am....'
Guys in the yards had that on their hardhats, ESPECIALLY after they whacked the US at the winter olympics.

One wee guy I was working with was going CRAZEEEEEE that week.
"Those Yanks, man!! They think they can beat us, man!! It's OUR game, man!! It's OUR game! It's not their game, man!! It's ours!!"
" Go Joe (that's his name) Go!!", I would shout at him to keep him going.
" Another Guinness patrick?", he would ask.
" Eh", I replied.

I'm a fast learner.

> BTW is it true that Americans have begun taking up the Australianism
> "no worries" since the Sydney olympics? Nice to see cultural
> imperialism works in revers sometimes!
> Ciao, The Bore.

I can't say if the above is true, but I did hear once in a news report that the English accent is eroding slowly, with it developing a more Australian intonation (yes, Patrick statements posed as questions) since the advent of Neighbours/Home and Away. Who would have thought Jason Donovan would have had such an impact?

> Are you making fun of our diphthong?

Our? Yours, definitely.

You drongo!

> I don't know if Americans have adopted 'no worries'. I do hope, however,
> that they don't make every sentence sound like a question? Like
> Australians do? At least the 20 million of them here in London? Know what
> I mean?

Stephen Fry already pointed this out on Room 101.

Let's fight back

> I can't say if the above is true, but I did hear once in a news report
> that the English accent is eroding slowly, with it developing a more
> Australian intonation (yes, Patrick statements posed as questions) since
> the advent of Neighbours/Home and Away. Who would have thought Jason
> Donovan would have had such an impact?

Let's all endorse the use of regional accents. Native twang must be verbally adhered to at all times.
This means the dulcet tones of mine and Punchdrunk's SEXY Brummie accents will become acceptable.
Hooray!!!!

> You mean like Canadians do?? Everything's a question with us. Eh?

Interesting discussion this. We aussies have a thing for the extraneous use of the "eh" interrogative - except with us it's a bit more nasal - more of an "ay?". And it seems we share this rising inflection at the end of the sentence making everything sound like a sentence. The theory runs something along the lines of it being a signifier of our cultural insecurity - we're not confident enough to make definitive statements, so they tend to come across as more uncertain questions.

Is this perhaps something Australians and Canadians share - maybe its a post-colonial thing for former colonies that never actually fought proper wars of independence - I think it holds true for New Zealanders as well.

Re: Hey You!!

> Stephen Fry already pointed this out on Room 101.

I work in London with hundreds of them?? I don't need Stephen 'posh twatboy' Fry to tell me anything?
My own observational skills are awesome??

Got that? (that WAS a question, btw).

> Interesting discussion this. We aussies have a thing for the extraneous
> use of the "eh" interrogative - except with us it's a bit more
> nasal - more of an "ay?".
Nae offence, Bore, but aussies say EVERYTHING through their noses. Not just 'ay'.
Don't get me wrong though. I really do like most of them. I've pointed out my observations to them. They just laugh and buy me more guinness. Which is quite good.

And it seems we share this rising
> inflection at the end of the sentence making everything sound like a
> sentence. The theory runs something along the lines of it being a
> signifier of our cultural insecurity - we're not confident enough to make
> definitive statements, so they tend to come across as more uncertain
> questions.

> Is this perhaps something Australians and Canadians share - maybe its a
> post-colonial thing for former colonies that never actually fought proper
> wars of independence - I think it holds true for New Zealanders as well.

> Are you making fun of our diphthong?

I think they're dissing it, LoF.

> Nae offence, Bore, but aussies say EVERYTHING through their noses. Not
> just 'ay'.

None taken and you are right. The Guinness is in the post. It may be a little shaken on arrival, so open carefully.

> Don't get me wrong though. I really do like most of them. I've pointed out
> my observations to them. They just laugh and buy me more guinness. Which
> is quite good.

> None taken and you are right. The Guinness is in the post. It may be a
> little shaken on arrival, so open carefully.

Cheersh. That'sh how I like it - shaken not shtirred.

Back
Top Bottom