If the internet (let alone this site) did not exist........

S

~Swcite~

If this site did not exist or if indeed, the internet had not been "created"

Where would one "voice" their ideas/comments/opinions/stupid half-baked ramblings?

Would they keep them to themselves or would a crash-course in interpersonal social skills and interaction become a priority?

Of course its a hypothetical question which, by definition will lead to some apathetic responses.

Is constructive thinking still possible?
Or what about well-reasoned arguments logically constructed?

Or does anybody care?

> If this site did not exist or if indeed, the internet had not
> been "created"

> Where would one "voice" their
> ideas/comments/opinions/stupid half-baked ramblings?

classrooms, social gatherings, letters, court rooms, corporate/government meetings

> Would they keep them to themselves or would a crash-course in
> interpersonal social skills and interaction become a priority?

all depends on the person.

> Of course its a hypothetical question which, by definition will
> lead to some apathetic responses.

[zzzzz]

> Is constructive thinking still possible?
> Or what about well-reasoned arguments logically constructed?

Depends on the person.

> Or does anybody care?

Not too much.

> been "created"

I have not figured that out. The internet has been incredibly useful on so many other levels besides discussing music that I would keep it anyway.

Thinking of my life before and after the internet: no.

I can do that. I got a degree in that. Nobody besides your professors cares if you do that. Maybe random people such are yourself like to come around and see some well thought out points, but that does not a majority make.

> Or does anybody care?

What are you...12?

> been "created"

Contrary to popular belief, life did exist before the internet. Believe it or not, life existed before the TV, Telephone, writing, and people were able to communicate back then too,... in intelligent conversations. I'm sure you are joking because if you are not then how did you even figure out how to turn on the computer.

Give me a break!

> Or does anybody care?

Your question should be In what major way is the Internet going to impact society? or How will our and other cultures change as a result of the Worldwide Web? NOT How can people live without an electronic chat room and bulletin board?
As our forms of communicating improve in distance, speed, and content the resulting changes in society will be interesting.

For example, a boring story on the telephone...
...before the telephone, a man needed to be introduced to a Lady by a mutual acquaintence, before it was polite for him to conversate with her. At a fair they had a new invention the telephone on display. (If I remember correctly from a book) they had two rows of phones on each side of a road wired to each other. As time went on, the men ended up on one side and the women on the other. The men were calling up the women without being introduced and talking to them. Everyone was so interested in the invention that it was accepted that they were violating a social standard.

We'd Be Thrust Headlong Back Into the Eighties!

> been "created"

> Or does anybody care?

I dont know how many people who post on this list Used to get the SYL fanzine, but thats what this "site" was before it was a website. just a little home made magazine that david tseng made and put in record stores......ahhh, the good ol days. =)

Re: If the internet (let alone this site) did not exist.....SYL - Yeah!...

> I dont know how many people who post on this list Used to get
> the SYL fanzine, but thats what this "site" was before
> it was a website. just a little home made magazine that david
> tseng made and put in record stores......ahhh, the good ol days.
> =)

If it had not been for SYL and another unnamed ziine loaded with inaccuracies, I had only a line or two from NME or Melody Maker and such to satisfy my desire to know more about the Great One! I guard those old issues of SYL with my life.

I've been called many things but "random"?!!

> Maybe random people such are
> yourself like to come around and see some well thought out
> points, but that does not a majority make.

Just because I don't post here on a regular basis does not mean that I am a "random person" as you so delightfully put it. The site is for everybody and newcomers/or those who SEEM unfamiliar don't need to have such an elitist opinion thrown at them.

Re: I was 12 when "This Charming Man" was released

> Contrary to popular belief, life did exist before the internet.

I'm well aware of that. I remember those days fondly. The 1980s were pleasant times.

Just think that its important not to become too dependant on technology. Thats all.

> I dont know how many people who post on this list Used to get
> the SYL fanzine, but thats what this "site" was before
> it was a website. just a little home made magazine that david
> tseng made and put in record stores......ahhh, the good ol days.
> =)

Ah yes! And it was one of if not the best fanzines out there. I still have all my issues, wonderful pictures and stories. Cheers David!

The first or the second time

> I'm well aware of that. I remember those days fondly. The 1980s
> were pleasant times.

> Just think that its important not to become too dependant on
> technology. Thats all.

Just having fun.

Re: I've been called many things but "random"?!!

> Just because I don't post here on a regular basis does not mean
> that I am a "random person" as you so delightfully put
> it. The site is for everybody and newcomers/or those who SEEM
> unfamiliar don't need to have such an elitist opinion thrown at
> them.

I don't mean "random" in that sense. I mean it as you being a splinter group that doesn't belong to the majority. I don't know how often you post or anything because you could change your name five billion times. I've given up on keeping up with anyone.

The internet has made my life 10x more interesting. I've traveled to various parts of the country and met interesting people I would have never met without this. I saw Belle and Sebastian live (which I would never ever have seen, because how else would I know they were in the north east?). i've discovered more about my favorite TV shows and musicians than I care to admit. I've been able to further my genealogical search more in one week than I have in the past 8 years.

My real life is pretty boring. If it were up to me, I would turn myself into a .jpeg character and live here.

In other words, I love the internet. It was the greatest thing I have ever discovered in the past five years.

Before this site.....

Before this site came about I scavenged magazine racks and got a weekly dose of NME, Melody Maker, Rolling Stone, Spin, AP, MORRIZINE, and CREEM...Many other fanzines as well as stacks and stacks of penpals across the states.

We also had telephones for conversation, Libraries, and mass media for information, and if you wanted to have drawn out conversations and feel intellectually stimulated, Coffeee shops were the place to hang.

Feels like only two years ago. Ah, the good old days when one had to leave the house.

Back
Top Bottom