war in iraq

E

ellroy

Like many I was not sure either way about whether the war was the right thing to do.

However the pictures today showing what the majority of people in Iraq think makes it pretty clear that te UK government did the right thing. Like him or not Tony Blair will now go down as one of the greatest leaders in UK history.

> Like many I was not sure either way about whether the war was the right
> thing to do.

None of us were *really* sure, ya know?

> However the pictures today showing what the majority of people in Iraq
> think makes it pretty clear that te UK government did the right thing.
> Like him or not Tony Blair will now go down as one of the greatest leaders
> in UK history.

Yeah, Tony Blair is smelling like a rose. And I thought he made the best case for the war in the weeks leading up to it.

Re: it's far from over

> thing to do.

> in UK history.

The war is far from over. Allied forces only control 20-30% of iraq at the moment. The pictures they showed on TV today of Iraqis celebrating represent a small portion of the total Iraqi population. Those pics were mainly of Shiites in Baghdad and Kurds to the north, minorities.

It's not over yet.

> thing to do.

> in UK history.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Re: it's far from over

> The war is far from over. Allied forces only control 20-30% of iraq at the
> moment. The pictures they showed on TV today of Iraqis celebrating
> represent a small portion of the total Iraqi population. Those pics were
> mainly of Shiites in Baghdad and Kurds to the north, minorities.

Shiites are the majority of the population....

Re: That's a joke, right?

Even the French press are now praising Mr Blair which is an incredible situation.

no joke.

Being the leader of a powerful country is an incredibly hard job and to be honest there is no greater leader, no greater statesman with perhaps the exception of Nelson Mandela (who has now retired) anywhere on earth. I have no doubt that Tony Blair will be considered the first great man on the 21st century.

His work in Europe, the UN, Northern Ireland and Iraq prove this. It would be nice if he could work some of his magic on the Israel/Palestine situation. I think he already deserves the noel peace prize (I mean bloody hell - people having been nominating bloody Bono) but sorting out that problem would mean he would be perhaps our Greatest leader ever.

He has also done a great job in Britain. Everyone I know is better off since Labour came into power. I work in the public sector which traditionally pays low wages but with the modernising of government and the new opportunities this government has created I am now in a very rewarding, creative and very well paid job - thanks Tony.

He has even given a speech (at the Q awards years ago) where he praised the Smiths! He is the greatest!!

> Even the French press are now praising Mr Blair which is an incredible
> situation.

> no joke.

> Being the leader of a powerful country is an incredibly hard job and to be
> honest there is no greater leader, no greater statesman with perhaps the
> exception of Nelson Mandela (who has now retired) anywhere on earth. I
> have no doubt that Tony Blair will be considered the first great man on
> the 21st century.

There's something about the UK political system that produces very strong leaders. I totally agree with you that Blair is the first great leader of the century. Let the canonization begin!

> His work in Europe, the UN, Northern Ireland and Iraq prove this. It would
> be nice if he could work some of his magic on the Israel/Palestine
> situation.

And lets not forget he was the one who pressed the hardest to intervene in Kosovo. And I think he's done a lot to get Bush more serious about that Roadmap to Peace plan for the Palestinian situation.

>I think he already deserves the noel peace prize (I mean bloody
> hell - people having been nominating bloody Bono) but sorting out that
> problem would mean he would be perhaps our Greatest leader ever.

> He has also done a great job in Britain. Everyone I know is better off
> since Labour came into power. I work in the public sector which
> traditionally pays low wages but with the modernising of government and
> the new opportunities this government has created I am now in a very
> rewarding, creative and very well paid job - thanks Tony.

> He has even given a speech (at the Q awards years ago) where he praised
> the Smiths! He is the greatest!!

A Smiths fan, too? Wow! Although I don't know if the feeling is mutual. Didn't Morrissey once slam him? I could be confused on that. Anyone know?

I plan to adopt lots of Arab babies from the Muslim world and raise them to hate the Koran

> And lets not forget he was the one who pressed the hardest to intervene in
> Kosovo. And I think he's done a lot to get Bush more serious about that
> Roadmap to Peace plan for the Palestinian situation.

cheers - I forgot to mention Kosovo. Anti-war protestors go very quiet when you speak about Kosovo. And you are dead right about the palestine situation. Lets hope the west can deliver on that.

> cheers - I forgot to mention Kosovo. Anti-war protestors go very quiet
> when you speak about Kosovo. And you are dead right about the palestine
> situation. Lets hope the west can deliver on that.

Thing about Kosovo is that a large number of the neo-conservatives and powers that now be in the Pentagon and state department derided Albright's commitment of the US to involvement in that war. Humanitarian wars were not seen as something the US should be getting involved in back then.

If this dictum has now changed (and Iraq doesn't prove it has) then a curious and welcome by-product of some cretin ramming two planes into the World Trade Centre is to actually bring the US out of its insularity and to engage with the world at a level that befits its status as sole superpower.

Wierd world, eh?

I realise that's hyperbole, but how does that equate to freedom of religion?

The thing about the antiwar protestors are that they are exactly the same kind of people who oppossed war against Nazi Germany (and there were amny of those as well). Many of them honestly believe that this is not the case but back then thye were the type to say "lets arm the French and see if we can change Hitler's mind".

Evil and fascism must be fought.

60% of the american population were against entering the 2nd world war before Parl Harbour.

Anyways this is all irrelevant as the pictures from Baghdad of cheering people show that the argument has been won.

and I thought you were against the war!

Back
Top Bottom