one of life's biggest mysteries

• Thread starter saving the world from retards
  • Start date
S

saving the world from retards

why do so many conservatives get their panties in a bunch over liberal celebrities spouting their political views when they are quite content to have charleton heston, moses himself, represent one of their favorite pet interests? and i don't hear them complaining over what brad pitt and kid rock have said recently in favor of the war. apparently, you're only supposed to use your fame as a platform if you share their right-wing views. otherwise, you should shut the f*** up.

don't ya just love double standards?

> why do so many conservatives get their panties in a bunch over liberal
> celebrities spouting their political views when they are quite content to
> have charleton heston, moses himself, represent one of their favorite pet
> interests? and i don't hear them complaining over what brad pitt and kid
> rock have said recently in favor of the war. apparently, you're only
> supposed to use your fame as a platform if you share their right-wing
> views. otherwise, you should shut the f*** up.

> don't ya just love double standards?
Like I said before, I have no problem with people speaking their mind as long as you don't block traffic lying down in the middle of the street, making people late to work. I believe it was wrong that Susan Surandon's appearance was cancelled by the United Way and it was wrong the way Wayne Gretsky was trashed or the way Mel Gibson has been vilified because of his religious beliefs. It has happened on both sides. But it really comes down to a person's personal beliefs and its not going to change. What upsets me is that our troops are in war and I have heard such little support for them or very few celebrities mentioning them.
I guess since Charleston Heston has been diagnosised with Alzheimers, he won't make such great representation for the republican party for much longer and won't be bothering people anymore about a cause he believes in.

there's a bit of a difference between the sides, i've found. no liberals have said that wayne gretzky doesn't have a right to an opinion. they have expressed disagreement with his opinion, but it's not the same thing. on the other hand, i have found countless articles that bash liberal celebrities for even expressing themselves. i can't say i've ever read an article bashing a conservative for even speaking his or her opinion and i read a lot of articles from "liberal" sources.

i don't think anyone should be obligated to express support for the troops either. no one, not even the staunchest anti-war person, wants them coming home in body bags. the difference is that the anti-war people didn't want that in the first place. i don't know how anyone can say that people who are anti-war are unsupportive of soldiers since they tried to save them in the first place. just because the government chose to ignore the peace movement doesn't mean that anti-war people have to suddenly resign themselves to the war and start wearing yellow ribbons. that's ridiculous.

> there's a bit of a difference between the sides, i've found. no liberals
> have said that wayne gretzky doesn't have a right to an opinion. they have
> expressed disagreement with his opinion, but it's not the same thing. on
> the other hand, i have found countless articles that bash liberal
> celebrities for even expressing themselves. i can't say i've ever read an
> article bashing a conservative for even speaking his or her opinion and i
> read a lot of articles from "liberal" sources.>>>
I too have read articles and personal attacks are coming from both sides of the war.
> i don't think anyone should be obligated to express support for the troops
> either. no one, not even the staunchest anti-war person, wants them coming
> home in body bags. the difference is that the anti-war people didn't want
> that in the first place>>>Crissy Hynes(sorry about the SPELLING) from the Pretenders said something like she hopes we lose a lot of troops to teach us a lesson, but that is 1 persons opinion and im certain is not a represention of the wishes of the anti-war person.
i don't know how anyone can say that people who
> are anti-war are unsupportive of soldiers since they tried to save them in
> the first place. just because the government chose to ignore the peace
> movement doesn't mean that anti-war people have to suddenly resign
> themselves to the war and start wearing yellow ribbons. that's ridiculous.>>> Whats ridiculous is even if you went out to buy a yellow ribbon, good luck. No one has them. By supportive I meant that we are thinking about them and hope for their safe return.

> I too have read articles and personal attacks are coming from both sides of the war.

have you actually read a report by a liberal who says that a conservative celebrity has no right to an opinion and ought to shut his or her mouth? probably not, but if you have, i'd like to see it.

>Crissy Hynes(sorry about the SPELLING) from the Pretenders said something like she hopes we lose a lot of troops to teach us a lesson, but that is 1 persons opinion and im certain is not a represention of the wishes of the anti-war person.

that's unfortunate that she said that, but as you said, she is one person. that is not a common sentiment among anti-war people. i looked up chrissy hynde's statement incidentally and it was not that extreme. she merely said that she hopes we lose the war in iraq. she said "bring it on. give us what we deserve." that's not exactly the same thing as saying "i hope saddam and his henchmen kill a bunch of our boys."

>Whats ridiculous is even if you went out to buy a yellow ribbon, good luck. No one has them. By supportive I meant that we are thinking about them and hope for their safe return.

i was using the phrase "wear a yellow ribbon" figuratively to mean any outward sign of support for the troops. the vast majority anti-war people hope for a safe return for the troops. even better, they didn't want them to have to go over there anyway to fight an illegal and immoral war. i have read too many articles that say now that the war has begun, anti-war people should forget their quarrel with the president and the war and rally around the troops. i view this as emotional blackmail. it's like saying, "if you don't support the war, you don't support the troops. you are a bad, unpatriotic person and you probably hope all the troops never come home." (the sick thing is that there are actually articles who put it in terms that severe; most of them just hint at it.) unfortunately, this tactic seems to be working to an extent. several acquaintances of mine who were anti-war, but not really vocal about it, have suddenly completely shut up for fear of being labeled unpatriotic. it's sad because some people (like bush) take this silence to mean approval, but then, this was probably the original intent anyway. "shut 'em up and then claim that means they like what you're doing!"

> have you actually read a report by a liberal who says that a conservative
> celebrity has no right to an opinion and ought to shut his or her mouth?
> probably not, but if you have, i'd like to see it.

> that's unfortunate that she said that, but as you said, she is one person.
> that is not a common sentiment among anti-war people. i looked up chrissy
> hynde's statement incidentally and it was not that extreme. she merely
> said that she hopes we lose the war in iraq. she said "bring it on.
> give us what we deserve." that's not exactly the same thing as saying
> "i hope saddam and his henchmen kill a bunch of our boys."

> i was using the phrase "wear a yellow ribbon" figuratively to
> mean any outward sign of support for the troops. the vast majority
> anti-war people hope for a safe return for the troops. even better, they
> didn't want them to have to go over there anyway to fight an illegal and
> immoral war. i have read too many articles that say now that the war has
> begun, anti-war people should forget their quarrel with the president and
> the war and rally around the troops. i view this as emotional blackmail.
> it's like saying, "if you don't support the war, you don't support
> the troops. you are a bad, unpatriotic person and you probably hope all
> the troops never come home." (the sick thing is that there are
> actually articles who put it in terms that severe; most of them just hint
> at it.) unfortunately, this tactic seems to be working to an extent.
> several acquaintances of mine who were anti-war, but not really vocal
> about it, have suddenly completely shut up for fear of being labeled
> unpatriotic. it's sad because some people (like bush) take this silence to
> mean approval, but then, this was probably the original intent anyway.
> "shut 'em up and then claim that means they like what you're
> doing!"
I see no reason why you can't disagree with the war and let the coalition troops know we are thinking about them at the same time, even if its in thought alone. I don't share that belief if you are anti war you don't support the troops, and I know all a lot of people who agree with me, who just happen to be republicans. Its unfortunate what is happening to your friends and I know where they are coming from because the same thing has happened to me. I have come to the conclusion everyone has their personal beliefs and everyone thinks they are right and nothing anyone can say can change it. Thats why I don't put much creedence in news articles because everyone puts their own spin on it. What I object to are the personal attacks because of one's beliefs, not to mention the general stereotypes. I am the last person who would say that someone isn't entitled to their opinion and shouldn't voice it freely(unless your doing it in the middle of 5th avenue) and I hate to be lumped into (im ASSuming your talking about) republican pundits making those statements.
But seriously, If you tried to buy a yellow ribbon you wouldn't be able to.

i'm all for bashing other people's opinions, but i don't think they don't have a right to them. if you think an opinion is stupid, that's your opinion and i'd be hypocritical if i said you didn't have a right to it. so i don't really have a problem with people who say that barbara streisand's anti-war beliefs are dumb. i just have a problem when it comes to them saying that she doesn't have a right to say what she believes. i don't think there is anything wrong with personal attacks as long as they are relevant. for instance, i think it's stupid to attack michael moore (or newt gingrich or rush limbaugh, republicans or not, for that matter) for being fat, as though that's somehow a good and intelligent case against them. likewise, i thought the article i read that said barbara streisand had a big mouth to match her nose was anti-semitic and disgusting. it's like, let's stay on topic here people and make intelligent counterarguments instead of just saying, "damn, that anti-war barbara and her jewish nose! she's so stupid and she has no right to use her celebrity to speak her mind to a big audience" or "god, that fatass michael moore should shut the f*** up." i posted previously about how i think it's ridiculous for people to bash gore, but get their panties in a bunch when people bash bush for similar things. the problem isn't with the bashing. it's with the relevance of the things they are bashing and whether or not they can take what they dish out. it's the same basic thing. there's nothing wrong with bashing people's opinions as you don't deny the fact that they're welcome to them.

i'm not saying that you do that, at all. i am referring mainly to the conservative media, which is almost all mainstream media. i'm also glad that you don't support the ridiculous idea that if you're anti-war you're anti-troops. (i'd like to draw your attention to adrian brody's oscar acceptance speech. he is pro-peace and reportedly has leftist leanings, but he gave a shout out to a friend serving in iraq and wished for a speedy and safe return for all the troops. his speech was probably the classiest of the night.)

and i've seen some yellow ribbons around. you can make them, you know.