Re: For the boys: why is Morrissey so special to you?

M

Mr. Roy Marques

> Where to begin. The words are an important frame of reference,¿ such elegance and wit. I know he was a bit of a shoplifter for¿ many lyrics, but I only admire him more for his ability to¿ co-opt to suit his own purpose.¿ I have struggled with sexual ambivalence for a long time (what's¿ this? struggling with a sexual ambulance, oo er), so it is¿ refreshing to see such a healthy attitude for sex. "People¿ are sexual. The prefix is immaterial." (from an interview¿ in some magazine, mid-eighties). Morrissey, sexually arousing?¿ Not to me, but it is always hard to arouse what you don't have.¿ Cerebrally stimulating? Certainly. I have a "pashernate¿ love" for Morrissey, but it doesn't involve the usual¿ appellations of sex.¿ Morrissey taught me about love... about who to love, what and¿ how. He fuelled sentiment in a gloriously unsentimental person.¿ It is no exaggeration to say listening to The Smiths changed my¿ life.¿ For a person struggling with sexual identity (I wanted to cut¿ off my penis when I was young), to hear somebody sing "I'm¿ a girl and you're a boy" was a breath of fresh air.¿ Ten years on I still haven't made up my mind. "I don't have¿ a sex-life, but I'm open to suggestions."¿ He also fanned the flames of bookishness that lurked inside me.¿ In fact I had just picked up Poe about the same time I heard¿ "Reel around the Fountain" etc. The words excited me,¿ as did the music, the melodies, the refrains. Johnny Marrs¿ fashion leaves me cold, gagging even, but apart from the odd bad¿ shirt Morrissey's studied foppishness and accented aesthetics¿ have always been the hub of hip. I wear a quiff and a 1 oz¿ pendant as he type this.¿ I could talk for hours about what Morrissey means to me, but I¿ fear I would bore you into some kind of monocellular mess.¿ "Still it was a good lay"...
"I must admit to say as a hetrosexual morrisey fan,you must admit
he does play around with a gay asthetic.Is this just a cleaver marketing ploy? Steven,speak up!!

Back
Top Bottom