Pathetic American Against Lost With Moz Lyric

J

Jason Gura

Seeing as someone has already asked about the meaning of a Morrissey lyric, and opened the floodgates, what the heck is a "...jammy Stressford poet?" I asked a friend and he replied, "I don't know, but I like it." I'm looking for something a bit more specific...

Education in reverse,

J

Morrissey lyrics sometimes confuse me because I'm stupid. He strings together completely disparate images. Like he talks about the Queen being dead, then switches to this personal stuff about being tied to your mother's apron and getting caught in the rain. Also 'Nowhere fast' starts out as a political song and then becomes a song about depression. And I don't see what loafing oafs and jammy stressford poets have to do with one's heart being full. And I always thought that a full heart was a sad heart, but now I learn that it's a happy heart, and I don't like that.

A jammy Stressford poet must be a poet who lives in Stressford and likes to eat jam.

Your stupid unhelpful colleague,

Brucie

The actual words mean "lucky poet who comes from Stressford" ( jammy means lucky ), however there is no such place as Stressford ( but Morrissey comes from the Stretford area of Manchester ), this part of the song though, deals with Grahame Green's Brighton Rock and so there may be a connection there ( which I'm sure someone else will be kind enough to explain ).¿ Seeing as someone has already asked about the meaning of a¿ Morrissey lyric, and opened the floodgates, what the heck is a¿ "...jammy Stressford poet?" I asked a friend and he¿ replied, "I don't know, but I like it." I'm looking¿ for something a bit more specific...¿ Education in reverse,¿ J

b&w-sharron.jpg

Re: Pathetic American Again Lost With Moz Lyric

I read Brighton Rock and I don't seem to recall a "Stressford." Obviously, the main characters: Pinkie, Cubbit, Dallow, Spicer are all in the novel and song. Thanks for the translation of "jammy." That helps.

J¿ The actual words mean "lucky poet who comes from¿ Stressford" ( jammy means lucky ), however there is no such¿ place as Stressford ( but Morrissey comes from the Stretford¿ area of Manchester ), this part of the song though, deals with¿ Grahame Green's Brighton Rock and so there may be a connection¿ there ( which I'm sure someone else will be kind enough to¿ explain ).

Yes, jammy indeed means lucky.

Stressford could also be a pun on Stratford(-upon-Avon) where another well known poet is from.

And thank you to the most-helpful Brucie for pointing out that "now might heart is full", means a heart full of woe. If you doubt this, try reading _Mary Barton: a Tale of Manchester Life_ by Elizabeth Gaskell; the characters refer to a "full heart" on several occasions when they are distraught. (Incidently this book also contains the line: "rattle his bones - all over the stones, he's just a poor man nobody owns" - and that's probably a mis-quote, though i remember it's not exactly the same as the song.)

Yes, but Shakespeare was never jammy; I think its autobiographical. Morrissey being the jammy Stretford poet ( Stressford because its stressfull ) - its as if Morrissey feels that he's been lucky as far as his writing is concerned.¿ Yes, jammy indeed means lucky.¿ Stressford could also be a pun on Stratford(-upon-Avon) where¿ another well known poet is from.¿ And thank you to the most-helpful Brucie for pointing out that¿ "now might heart is full", means a heart full of woe.¿ If you doubt this, try reading _Mary Barton: a Tale of¿ Manchester Life_ by Elizabeth Gaskell; the characters refer to a¿ "full heart" on several occasions when they are¿ distraught. (Incidently this book also contains the line:¿ "rattle his bones - all over the stones, he's just a poor¿ man nobody owns" - and that's probably a mis-quote, though¿ i remember it's not exactly the same as the song.)

b&w-sharron.jpg

Back
Top Bottom