Want your suggestions...

J

Jason Gura

Dear Morrissey Fans,

As a poor pathetic American I'm forced feed the likes of Ricky Martin and N' Sync - how nausating?! I've been looking overseas to merry old England and found the following bands I like: Pulp, The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff, Blur, Suede, Billy Bragg, Rialto, Spiritualized, Marion, and Arab Strap. My question to you is: who am I missing? What albums are must haves? Your input is greatly appreciated!

J

George Best by the Wedding Present. Not new I know, but the greatest non-Smiths/Morrissey record ever - you also get a great pic of George Best on the cover for no extra charge!¿ Dear Morrissey Fans,¿ As a poor pathetic American I'm forced feed the likes of Ricky¿ Martin and N' Sync - how nausating?! I've been looking overseas¿ to merry old England and found the following bands I like: Pulp,¿ The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff, Blur, Suede,¿ Billy Bragg, Rialto, Spiritualized, Marion, and Arab Strap. My¿ question to you is: who am I missing? What albums are must¿ haves? Your input is greatly appreciated!¿ J

cleostill10.jpg

cinerama va va boom

belle and sebastian--of course

These are ones that people generally like. Other personal favorites from groups that I don't think you mentioned are: sleeper-pleased to meet you, saint etienne- good humor, portishead-portishead, catatonia-way beyoned blue etc etc.
BTW I bought the black box recorder about a month and I'm really enjoying it...

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I forgot to mention Gene, The Sundays, and Radiohead - I have their stuff as well. Glad to hear that you like Black Box Recorder. I recently picked up The Auteurs "How I Learned To Love The Bootboys" not an easy task in the States. This is a great album and features Luke Haines; however you probably know this. Thanks again for the info, and everyone please keep the suggestions coming!

J

> I want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I forgot¿ to mention Gene, The Sundays, and Radiohead - I have their stuff¿ as well. Glad to hear that you like Black Box Recorder. I¿ recently picked up The Auteurs "How I Learned To Love The¿ Bootboys" not an easy task in the States. This is a great¿ album and features Luke Haines; however you probably know this.¿ Thanks again for the info, and everyone please keep the¿ suggestions coming!¿ J

> I want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I forgot¿ to mention Gene, The Sundays, and Radiohead - I have their stuff¿ as well. Glad to hear that you like Black Box Recorder. I¿ recently picked up The Auteurs "How I Learned To Love The¿ Bootboys" not an easy task in the States. This is a great¿ album and features Luke Haines; however you probably know this.¿ Thanks again for the info, and everyone please keep the¿ suggestions coming!¿ J

i would suggest

belle and sebastian
magnetic fields
satisfact
the housemartins
joy division/new order(of course)
older david bowie
the jam
bedhead

>
what about simon & garfunkel, mel torme, adam ant, monkees, nat king cole. dead milkmen

Dear Morrissey Fans,¿ As a poor pathetic American I'm forced feed the likes of Ricky¿ Martin and N' Sync - how nausating?! I've been looking overseas¿ to merry old England and found the following bands I like: Pulp,¿ The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff, Blur, Suede,¿ Billy Bragg, Rialto, Spiritualized, Marion, and Arab Strap. My¿ question to you is: who am I missing? What albums are must¿ haves? Your input is greatly appreciated!¿ J

My picks:

IVY Apartment life (pure pop meets Lush)
LOW I could live in hope (classic)
RED HOUSE PAINTERS Retrospective (amazing emotional drama)
KRISTIN HERSH Sky Motel (ex-throwingmuses, latest anthemn)
THE PARADISE MOTEL Life left to Kill (the best band since portishead)

Oh, I'm I suppose to pick british bands.
HNIA¿ I want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I forgot¿ to mention Gene, The Sundays, and Radiohead - I have their stuff¿ as well. Glad to hear that you like Black Box Recorder. I¿ recently picked up The Auteurs "How I Learned To Love The¿ Bootboys" not an easy task in the States. This is a great¿ album and features Luke Haines; however you probably know this.¿ Thanks again for the info, and everyone please keep the¿ suggestions coming!¿ J

All of the other suggestions are good, but the one you should really really listen to is the calls for THE WEDDING PRESENT, or CINERAMA. These bands are the absolute best....nothing could compare. If you get one album, you'll have to get them all. They outshine all of the bands anyone listed. Except Billy Bragg of course, hats off to him. I urge you, buy these records...you will not be sorry....

Tommy
George Best
Bizarro
Seamonsters
Either Hit Parade (there are two)
Watusi
Mini
or
Saturnalia

Really, listen to me and some of the others, you MUST own these records. But then you'll need the b-sides too.....

cheerio
-A very concerned Wedding Present fan.¿ Dear Morrissey Fans,¿ As a poor pathetic American I'm forced feed the likes of Ricky¿ Martin and N' Sync - how nausating?! I've been looking overseas¿ to merry old England and found the following bands I like: Pulp,¿ The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff, Blur, Suede,¿ Billy Bragg, Rialto, Spiritualized, Marion, and Arab Strap. My¿ question to you is: who am I missing? What albums are must¿ haves? Your input is greatly appreciated!¿ J

david1.jpg

and newer david bowie

ah, at least someone here has something original to contribute...though i have to say bowie's "outside" was actually pretty darn good (sure, his other recent work is less than interesting, but...)

my advice to jason gura is...don't listen to a lot of these people. they have bad taste. with the exception of satisfact, which i've never heard, this person is not leading you astray...

don't forget BILLY BRAGG and JAMES. and how about older MOMUS, and CROWDED HOUSE, and WIRE, and has anyone here ever heard MY LIFE STORY (not unlike divine comedy, but much more fun)? and definitely don't forget ROBBIE WILLIAMS.

tastelessness runs rampant

Re: and newer david bowie

Did you just accuse me of having bad taste? Oh no, you went on to mention Crowded House and My Life Story, so it must have been irony. Sorry for being so slow.

I repeat, Jason, listen to PJ Harvey.

Seriously, do NOT listen to the Wedding Present (or Crowded House).

> Dear Morrissey Fans,¿ As a poor pathetic American I'm forced feed the likes of Ricky¿ Martin and N' Sync - how nausating?! I've been looking overseas¿ to merry old England and found the following bands I like: Pulp,¿ The Auteurs, Black Box Recorder, Baader Meinhoff, Blur, Suede,¿ Billy Bragg, Rialto, Spiritualized, Marion, and Arab Strap. My¿ question to you is: who am I missing? What albums are must¿ haves? Your input is greatly appreciated!

As an American I also feel the same as you. Thanks for asking such an excellent question. However, no one has mentioned The Bluetones. Their albums Expecting To Fly and Welcome to the Last Chance Saloon are really great. Their B-sides are also good but are extremely hard to find here in the states. Hope you like them. Thanks to everyone for the extremely useful info.

Another Pathetic American

Oh why do you catch my eye then walk away?

God bless you.¿ All of the other suggestions are good, but the one you should¿ really really listen to is the calls for THE WEDDING PRESENT, or¿ CINERAMA. These bands are the absolute best....nothing could¿ compare. If you get one album, you'll have to get them all. They¿ outshine all of the bands anyone listed. Except Billy Bragg of¿ course, hats off to him. I urge you, buy these records...you¿ will not be sorry....¿ Tommy¿ George Best¿ Bizarro¿ Seamonsters¿ Either Hit Parade (there are two)¿ Watusi¿ Mini¿ or¿ Saturnalia¿ Really, listen to me and some of the others, you MUST own these¿ records. But then you'll need the b-sides too.....¿ cheerio¿ -A very concerned Wedding Present fan.

cleostill10.jpg

SELF

(great band)

not from overseas though....just tennessee....but that far enough isnt it?

Smoking Popes, AC/DC, Shonen Knife, Ron Sexsmith, Sloan, Teenage Fanclub, Big Star . . . and they're not even English! Imagine that!

Re: Oh why do you catch my eye then walk away?

I don't want to be sniffy, but it's actually "turn away" not "walk away". But yeah, the Weddoes are one of the the greatest Pop bands of the last 15 years. SO MANY FAB TUNES! Start with "Saturnalia" and work backwards.

For truly great cult English Pop, you can't avoid Television Personalities. To know them is to love them. They've been around since 1978 and are still releasing stuff. I'd suggest 1992's "Closer to God" album as a taster. There's loads of others to chose from. If this finds favour, try their first "...and don't the kids just love it" next. Please believe me - buy TVP stuff and your life will never be the same again. Dan Treacy, TVP main man, is an absolute genius. Please act on this. Others will back me up.

> Smoking Popes, AC/DC, Shonen Knife, Ron Sexsmith, Sloan, Teenage¿ Fanclub, Big Star . . . and they're not even English! Imagine¿ that!

ac/dc I believe are english/austrailian?
hnia

Back
Top Bottom