The Reunion we've all been waiting for

F

Fox Mulder

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1080608,00.html

Re: hell yeah. i love the spice girls. girl power!

Exactly! You like the Spice Girls, but hate Avril Lavigne?
Now I know why a lot of the people on this message board can't
stand you, MINDY.

yes, because the spice girls at least acknowledged the fact that they were manufactured

unlike avril who insists she's original. i was about 13 when the spice girls hit america and they were unlike anything else on the music scene. i know they spawned legions of pathetic teen pop (i doubt britney or even avril for that matter would have careers if the spice girls hadn't made pop music "cool" again), but i still love them.

Re: hell yeah. i love the spice girls. girl power!

oh gawd, i'm going to go cry myself to sleep now. get bent.

Re: yes, because the spice girls at least acknowledged the fact that they were manufactured

> unlike avril who insists she's original. i was about 13 when the spice
> girls hit america and they were unlike anything else on the music scene. i
> know they spawned legions of pathetic teen pop (i doubt britney or even
> avril for that matter would have careers if the spice girls hadn't made
> pop music "cool" again), but i still love them.

Spice Girls WERE pathetic teen pop. I hate them so much, all this "Girl Power" stuff, "we're doing this to help women", "we're all best mates,we love each other", "Margaret Thatcher invented Girl Power", what a load of bullshit it all was. Melanie C is OK, but Mel B (unsuccessful shite solo career), Emma Bunton (unsuccessful shite solo career), Victoria (married to a famous footballer who is at least pretty good at what he does) and Geri Halliwell (stupid stuck up Tory bitch, deserves to be shot).....they make my blood boil. And the songs were crap, except "Say You'll Be There", that rocked.

What's with Avril - isn't that like a headache tablet in the US?

Or is that Advil?

Anyway, just because I'm feeling spiteful, and to continue an earlier thread I would like to announce that I do not in the slightest bit understnd Avril Lavigne.

I mean, even being superficial about it - I've seen 16 year old junkie prostitutes on the streets of St. Kilda who are more attractive than her.
And it CANNOT be about the music!

You can understand Britney or Tatu in that sense, but this one I don't get.

Errrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

Re: yes, because the spice girls at least acknowledged the fact that they were manufactured

> Spice Girls WERE pathetic teen pop. I hate them so much, all this
> "Girl Power" stuff, "we're doing this to help women",
> "we're all best mates,we love each other", "Margaret
> Thatcher invented Girl Power", what a load of bullshit it all was.
> Melanie C is OK, but Mel B (unsuccessful shite solo career), Emma Bunton
> (unsuccessful shite solo career), Victoria (married to a famous footballer
> who is at least pretty good at what he does) and Geri Halliwell (stupid
> stuck up Tory bitch, deserves to be shot).....they make my blood boil. And
> the songs were crap, except "Say You'll Be There", that rocked.

well i must admit, the only album of theirs i liked was the first. my sister and i shared it, but she sold it at a garage sale one day without telling me. i didn't mind at the time, because i was going through my spice girls backlash phase (as was much of america). but i did enjoy the first album immensely. you're right. "say you will be there" was a great song -- probably my favorite off the album. i also liked "wannabe," but i can't recall the others. those were the two i listened to the most, probably. i do agree with you about the maggie thatcher thing being retarded. i remember thinking that was stupid even when i was a kid. i don't think the spice girls were completely pathetic though. i mean, they did have the guts to dump their manager -- the guy who created the band -- and do their own thing. yeah, it was bubblegum, but they weren't afraid to be different. remember, bubblegum had been out of style for years when the spice girls started out. perhaps it'd have been better if they never existed to reopen that pandora's box, but i thought they did it rather well. plus, it was nice to see five regular girls with five very different looks and five very different personalities. none of them were especially beautiful, but all of them were unique. it was like, wow, i guess you don't have to be fabulously beautiful to make it! i also thought it was cool how, instead of singing "ooh baby i wanna make love to you songs," they sang songs like "2 become 1," which reminded girls to not only wait for the right guy, but to use protection as well. i thought that was very responsible. anyway, i don't apologize for thinking the spice girls had some good moments and i love them for making my junior high school years a bit more fun. i can't be pretentious all the time, now can i?

Re: What's with Avril - isn't that like a headache tablet in the US?

> Or is that Advil?

i wish it were advil that was sweeping the antions. advil doesn't cause headaches. it cures them.

> Anyway, just because I'm feeling spiteful, and to continue an earlier
> thread I would like to announce that I do not in the slightest bit
> understnd Avril Lavigne.

> I mean, even being superficial about it - I've seen 16 year old junkie
> prostitutes on the streets of St. Kilda who are more attractive than her.
> And it CANNOT be about the music!

yes, i think we have all seen better-looking crack addicted hookers with two kids.

> You can understand Britney or Tatu in that sense, but this one I don't
> get.

> Errrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!

The Sex Pistols were also 'manufactured', just as the spice girls

good point -- and like the spice girls, they eventually took control of the band themselves...

however short their career happened to be. i should add though that i do not like the sex pistols. and yes, i am aware that this is blasphemy and that i will catch a lot of shit from other people for liking the spice girls and not liking malcolm mclaren's pet project.

> unlike avril who insists she's original. i was about 13 when the spice
> girls hit america and they were unlike anything else on the music scene. i
> know they spawned legions of pathetic teen pop (i doubt britney or even
> avril for that matter would have careers if the spice girls hadn't made
> pop music "cool" again), but i still love them.

ok. so you were actually worried about if someone was manufactured or not at the age of 13 and that affected your decision to own an album?

and i was 21. there was plenty of pop music at that time and theirs seemed pretty standard, so they didn't revive anything.

and i'll disagree about Britney. her genealogy comes more from Debbie Gibson and Tiffany as teen sensation. It just lays low for a few years and it comes back in a similar (yet different) form, and the big factor here was that she wasn't a pert, clean girl with a nice selection of hats like Debbie was.

Then again, how old were you when "only in my dreams" (if you've even heard of that song) came out? this was roughly '87, so you were about 3? 5? hell, i still can't do math, but it proves my point about the place of teen music. You had the spice girls. I had madonna. All the current 13 year olds have Britney and Avril. Its a disease that few escape, and yes, you can boil them down and basically toss them into the same pot.

> ok. so you were actually worried about if someone was manufactured or not
> at the age of 13 and that affected your decision to own an album?

> and i was 21. there was plenty of pop music at that time and theirs seemed
> pretty standard, so they didn't revive anything.

> and i'll disagree about Britney. her genealogy comes more from Debbie
> Gibson and Tiffany as teen sensation. It just lays low for a few years and
> it comes back in a similar (yet different) form, and the big factor here
> was that she wasn't a pert, clean girl with a nice selection of hats like
> Debbie was.

> Then again, how old were you when "only in my dreams" (if you've
> even heard of that song) came out? this was roughly '87, so you were about
> 3? 5? hell, i still can't do math, but it proves my point about the place
> of teen music. You had the spice girls. I had madonna. All the current 13
> year olds have Britney and Avril. Its a disease that few escape, and yes,
> you can boil them down and basically toss them into the same pot.

i think i can judge quality. i mean, madonna was manufactured, sure. but she was unique and she broke out of the mold and started doing her own thing. of course i didn't really think about it at the age of thirteen, but i was cognizant of the fact that the spice girls were bubblegum pop. however, growing up in so cal, the music that was popular when i was that age was nirvana and green day and no doubt. i liked all of those bands, but compared to them, the spice girls were new and exciting. they did receive a lot of credit for beginning a new british invasion and spawned a lot of copycat groups. their success also inspired people like lou perlman (the svengali behind nsync), i distinctly remember reading an interview with him where he talked about how he was inspired by the fellow who started the spice girls. and yes, britney did come from the lineage you mentioned, but you can't deny that the spice girls proved to record execs that bubblegum was profitable again. i was 4 in 1987, by the way, but that is not important. i think i did escape this disease you mention. going halfsies with my kid sister to buy a spice girls album hardly qualifies as jumping on the bubblegum bandwagon. if anything, i was on the girl rock bandwagon at the time, listening almost solely to jewel, alanis, tori, and sarah. anyway, my only consolation is that britney and avril and their ilk are pretty much devoid of talent and personality so they will probably go the way of tiffany and not the way of madonna. thank god.

> well i must admit, the only album of theirs i liked was the first. my
> sister and i shared it, but she sold it at a garage sale one day without
> telling me. i didn't mind at the time, because i was going through my
> spice girls backlash phase (as was much of america). but i did enjoy the
> first album immensely. you're right. "say you will be there" was
> a great song -- probably my favorite off the album. i also liked
> "wannabe," but i can't recall the others. those were the two i
> listened to the most, probably. i do agree with you about the maggie
> thatcher thing being retarded. i remember thinking that was stupid even
> when i was a kid. i don't think the spice girls were completely pathetic
> though. i mean, they did have the guts to dump their manager -- the guy
> who created the band -- and do their own thing. yeah, it was bubblegum,
> but they weren't afraid to be different. remember, bubblegum had been out
> of style for years when the spice girls started out. perhaps it'd have
> been better if they never existed to reopen that pandora's box, but i
> thought they did it rather well. plus, it was nice to see five regular
> girls with five very different looks and five very different
> personalities. none of them were especially beautiful, but all of them
> were unique. it was like, wow, i guess you don't have to be fabulously
> beautiful to make it! i also thought it was cool how, instead of singing
> "ooh baby i wanna make love to you songs," they sang songs like
> "2 become 1," which reminded girls to not only wait for the
> right guy, but to use protection as well. i thought that was very
> responsible. anyway, i don't apologize for thinking the spice girls had
> some good moments and i love them for making my junior high school years a
> bit more fun. i can't be pretentious all the time, now can i?

Indeed you can't:)

I have a very cynical attitude towards the Spice Girls...one big marketing scheme? The film, releasing "Mama" for mother's day....the list goes on.But I take your point Miss Medjou (have I spelt that right ?).....

By the way,Maggie Thatcher is unrivaled in the EVIL stakes by any dictater, president or prime minister the world over since Hitler.

> Indeed you can't:)

> I have a very cynical attitude towards the Spice Girls...one big marketing
> scheme? The film, releasing "Mama" for mother's day....the list
> goes on.But I take your point Miss Medjou (have I spelt that right ?).....

Menjou, my dear. but it's quite all right. no one can pronounce it, so why should i mind if no one can spell it either? :p

> By the way,Maggie Thatcher is unrivaled in the EVIL stakes by any
> dictater, president or prime minister the world over since Hitler.

well, i think bush is going to give her a run for her money, but yes, maggie was and is an evil bitch.

> Menjou, my dear.

damn, I felt pretty pleased with myself from remembering the name off the e-mail. Shows how sad I am!

but it's quite all right. no one can pronounce it, so why
> should i mind if no one can spell it either? :p

Hmm...is it pronounced Men - Jew ? or am I talking out of my tits again

> well, i think bush is going to give her a run for her money, but yes,
> maggie was and is an evil bitch.

Place your bets now....

it's pronouned mon (with the o pronounced as in "on") jew. very close. if you were to pronounce it the real french way, it's mo' joo. there would actually be a very soft n after the mo.

is it a French name?

Back
Top Bottom