Roy's Keen - TOTP2

J

Johnny

Finally got to see the legendary "lost" performance of Moz on TOTP".
What can I say ? It was amazing. I think it was recorded live and the sound was very strong and very clear.
The song itself is probably my least favourite Morrissey single but they really beefed it up for this performance and it came across fantastically.
Morrissey looked brilliant and prowled the stage at his menacing best.The whole band seemed to be really into the performance and to me this is THE quintessential Morrissey line up :- Morrissey , Alain , Martin Boorer ,Specer and Jonny Bridgwood.
I know Gary Day has his fans on here but I think Jonny was a very underated player.
Anyway ....I digress. Great clip.Only down side was that tosspot Steve Wright wittering on at the end of the track but at least he showed the performance so fair play to him.

p.s

Just to save time can I strongly disagree with all of the above on behalf of Suzanne ?.It will save her time later.

Yes, I've never really liked Roy's Keen all that much until I saw this performance. Moz was seemed so serious, not smiling once, and the song came across as quite dark and mysterious. Much much better than the lightweight studio version. A great performance... it made my evening.

A shame about all the text boxes that come up in the footage with the ticker-tape words. If they had to do that they could at least have tried some insight into who the song is about, some chat about Roy Keane, being Irish or something new. I was overjoyed to see the clip but I think the reason the performance appears serious is that he is not performing in front of HIS fans, and er, he's shy. Oh well, I'll never be satisfied.

> Yes, I've never really liked Roy's Keen all that much until I saw this
> performance. Moz was seemed so serious, not smiling once, and the song
> came across as quite dark and mysterious. Much much better than the
> lightweight studio version. A great performance... it made my evening.

I bet he was more than a little irked that it was never shown at the time. His blood must have been boiling when he found out it wasn't going to be shown. Wonder if he got a chance to meet any of The Vengaboys backstage...

Brightened up the early Wednesday evening no end. Not one of my favourtie songs but came across very well. I actually revisited Maladjusted yesterday and really enjoyed it. So having this little gem shown on pime time TV spurred me on to re-assess previous opinions on that work! Anyway, back to TOTP2, I Think they were performing live which is a good thing, Morrissey looked trim, Boz looked good without the middle aged face fur. And Alain looked like Alain always does, bit more of a bouffant hairstyle though.

Steve Wright came out with normal '..Flowers in the back pocket..' joke (yawn) and spoke over the outro before the Big in Japan large bosomed Lesbian Samanatha Fox was introduced.. But fair play he did allow the vote to take place and include it on his show!

The Stray Cats were a great bonus as well..
Ruffian
PS, And I am a Gary Day fan. But only cause I've met him and thought he was the epitomy of rockabilly 'don't give a f*ck' about anything cool!! Liked the attitude.

> Brightened up the early Wednesday evening no end. Not one of my favourtie
> songs but came across very well. I actually revisited Maladjusted
> yesterday and really enjoyed it. So having this little gem shown on pime
> time TV spurred me on to re-assess previous opinions on that work! Anyway,
> back to TOTP2, I Think they were performing live which is a good thing,
> Morrissey looked trim, Boz looked good without the middle aged face fur.
> And Alain looked like Alain always does, bit more of a bouffant hairstyle
> though.

> Steve Wright came out with normal '..Flowers in the back pocket..' joke
> (yawn) and spoke over the outro before the Big in Japan large bosomed
> Lesbian Samanatha Fox was introduced.. But fair play he did allow the vote
> to take place and include it on his show!

> The Stray Cats were a great bonus as well..
> Ruffian
> PS, And I am a Gary Day fan. But only cause I've met him and thought he
> was the epitomy of rockabilly 'don't give a f*ck' about anything cool!!
> Liked the attitude.

Good points Ruff. The Stray Cats were fantastic....pity about The Eagles

You are spot on about Maladjusted.It's not brilliant but it's far from crap.
We just expect SO much from Morrissey because we know what he is capable of.

> Good points Ruff. The Stray Cats were fantastic....pity about The Eagles
>

> You are spot on about Maladjusted.It's not brilliant but it's far from crap.
> We just expect SO much from Morrissey because we know what he is capable
> of.

I thought the twin guitar solo in Hotel California was pretty good though.. the only thing that spoilt it (or made it for me) was that guitarist with the bandana. his facial contotions were excruciatingly funny.. Almost orgasmic when he hit those high notes.

Maladjusted? Not as good as some, but a decent solid performance in retrospect! I have high hopes of the next anticipated whenever it happens release though, the material seems a return to form...

As you can see. I made a return today. Just a few moments!
Ruffian

> I thought the twin guitar solo in Hotel California was pretty good
> though.. the only thing that spoilt it (or made it for me) was that
> guitarist with the bandana. his facial contotions were excruciatingly
> funny.. Almost orgasmic when he hit those high notes.

> Maladjusted? Not as good as some, but a decent solid performance in
> retrospect! I have high hopes of the next anticipated whenever it happens
> release though, the material seems a return to form...

> As you can see. I made a return today. Just a few moments!
> Ruffian.

Ruffian!!! You are spoiling your normally impecable taste by singing the praises of The Eagles:)
Just finished reading John Lydon's autobiography...very good.Wonder how much Moz has written of his....the title perhaps?.
Now go away you old hippie.You'll be talking about Yes next and Emerson,Lake and Palmer.

> Ruffian!!! You are spoiling your normally impecable taste by singing the
> praises of The Eagles:)

Thanks! Impeccable? haha.. I like to think that I plough an impressive musical furrow.. And OK, The Eagles weren't THAT bad for 3 or 4 songs (By the way, i don't own any stuff by them but can see their charm).. One other thing,Just got into the Jayhawks on that alternitivee country note.. They're pretty cool.

> Just finished reading John Lydon's autobiography...very good.Wonder how
> much Moz has written of his....the title perhaps?.

Is that the biography 'No blacks, no Irish..' ?
I am reading Shane MaxGowans funnily enough!

> Now go away you old hippie.You'll be talking about Yes next and
> Emerson,Lake and Palmer.

Oh Please.. maybe a hippie in life's outlook.. but musically no! I have limits and YES are beyond contempt. I met a YES groupie once on the homebound Drunken midnight train a couple of months ago. We got chatting (as you do) and then she confessed it. She follwos a YES tribute band to satisfy her particular itch! Now that is sad. ELP? They only had one hit or song I could name. Now I have a soft spot for Old Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin I must admit!

Ruffian

> Thanks! Impeccable? haha.. I like to think that I plough an impressive
> musical furrow.. And OK, The Eagles weren't THAT bad for 3 or 4 songs (By
> the way, i don't own any stuff by them but can see their charm).. One
> other thing,Just got into the Jayhawks on that alternitivee country note..
> They're pretty cool.

> Is that the biography 'No blacks, no Irish..' ?
> I am reading Shane MaxGowans funnily enough!

> Oh Please.. maybe a hippie in life's outlook.. but musically no! I have
> limits and YES are beyond contempt. I met a YES groupie once on the
> homebound Drunken midnight train a couple of months ago. We got chatting
> (as you do) and then she confessed it. She follwos a YES tribute band to
> satisfy her particular itch! Now that is sad. ELP? They only had one hit
> or song I could name. Now I have a soft spot for Old Deep Purple and Led
> Zeppelin I must admit!

> Ruffian

Yep that's the book mate. I will read Shane's one day. The man is a poet of genius like ability.I saw him in Cambridge a few years ago and it was heartbreaking.
He literally used the microphone stand to hold himself up and the roadies would come out after each song and put a lighted cigarette between his fingers. Tragic.
Sorry for calling you a hippie...I should have said Greaser!! heh heh!!

P.S if its any colsolation I am a HUGE fan of johnny Cash:)Feel free to take the proverbial..oh and Low..I love Low.

Sam Fox is still alive? What kind of God takes Joe Strummer and leaves this trash?

Has anyone got a good collection of these TOTP performances they'd be willing to sell/trade for some of my crap? (Other than the ones on "Complete Picture", of course)

> Just to save time can I strongly disagree with all of the above on behalf
> of Suzanne ?.It will save her time later.

i have nothing to say about any of the rest of it, so i don't agree with you putting words in my mouth.

> i have nothing to say about any of the rest of it, so i don't agree with
> you putting words in my mouth.

There you go! You have just "I don't agree" which was pointless as I said you would say that about 10 hours ago.
Off home now Suzanne.....see you next year........

> There you go! You have just "I don't agree" which was pointless
> as I said you would say that about 10 hours ago.
> Off home now Suzanne.....see you next year........

its a shame that Joe Strummer didn't live to see the completion of morrissey's latest album, right? whatever shall moz do without his producer....

> its a shame that Joe Strummer didn't live to see the completion of
> morrissey's latest album, right? whatever shall moz do without his
> producer....

Nice one Suzanne. Make a cheap joke about a rock legend and one of the few men of the last 20 years who was not only a musical genius but a decent guy.
This is a pretty thick and sad thing to do even by your standards.What next..a joke about Michael Stipe and Aids ?.
By all means have a go at me(wouldn't be you if you weren't)but keep your jibes about Joe Strummer confined to the school yard.

'roy's keen' will no longer take the 'worst single' title. A tremendous performance on a terrible, terrible, godawful show.
A typically clueless TOTP audience. Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

> 'roy's keen' will no longer take the 'worst single' title. A tremendous
> performance on a terrible, terrible, godawful show.
> A typically clueless TOTP audience. Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I don't want to hear about it. I voted for Roy Keen on almost every computer in the computer lab at school and if someone doens't give it to Mrs. Shankley I am going to be very, very, very, UPSET!!

> I don't want to hear about it. I voted for Roy Keen on almost every
> computer in the computer lab at school and if someone doens't give it to
> Mrs. Shankley I am going to be very, very, very, UPSET!!

I'm sure someone will. It's waaaaaay beyond me. I'm an 18th century kinda guy.

> I don't want to hear about it. I voted for Roy Keen on almost every
> computer in the computer lab at school and if someone doens't give it to
> Mrs. Shankley I am going to be very, very, very, UPSET!!

AMEN!!! I'm waiting with bated breath for Shankley to put this up on her site. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE. Think of us poor non-Brits. It's just so unfair.