Does Morrissey Encourage Homosexuality?

• Thread starter Ian Duncan Smith
  • Start date
I

Ian Duncan Smith

I have to do a report for work on homosexuality in Britain. Would like to know if Morrissey promotes or encourages buggery and the like. I thought, you could help me. I have to admit I am not really "in touch" with the youth of this age, but Morrissey is pretty much "the rage" with today's teens isn't he?

He always came across as slightly gay to me? So I'd appreciate your replies.

> I have to do a report for work on homosexuality in Britain. Would like to
> know if Morrissey promotes or encourages buggery and the like.

"Buggery and the like"? What on earth is even remotely like buggery! Reminds me of a Doug Anthony All Stars skit;
Tim: "It hurt like buggery!"
Others (together): "No, Tim - NOTHING hurts like buggery!"

> I thought,
> you could help me. I have to admit I am not really "in touch"
> with the youth of this age, but Morrissey is pretty much "the
> rage" with today's teens isn't he?

If only! Try telling that to the record execs who won't give him a contract!

> He always came across as slightly gay to me? So I'd appreciate your
> replies.

He comes across as very gay to me ("November Spawned a Monster" video and innumerable obvious references in his lyrics to homosexuality). He does not, however actively or directly promote homosexuality - in interviews he's stated that he's celibate (but regularly contradicts himself), but also that sexuality is simply not an issue for him - he has expressed a desire that people be seen not as homo, hetero or bi sexual, merely as 'sexual'. My feeling is he probably swings both ways, and I can't help but think of the title of his song "I can have both" in this context. Oh, and on his recent tour he claimed several times he was crap in bed - so much for celibacy.

I think Moz enjoys playing with the uncertainty around his sexuality in the same way as he did with the uncertainty around his racial beliefs, because at the same time as he does this he can run around singing odes to men washing windows and a certain body of the population will continue to read nothing into it in a way they probably wouldn't if he "outed" himself properly.

Back
Top Bottom