Moz' fame...just how do you want it to be?

J

Jason

A constant thread on this message board are people's frustration at Moz not getting more exposure. I'd like to see his videos played once in a while too...throw a curveball to the kids weaned on the current crop.

But this sheer disappointment in his career I don't understand. At the present, he's more "our" (the true fans) singer than he ever has been before. Look what happens when he does a call-in interview. The die-hard fans get angry at the stupid questions posed to "their" Moz by newer, less knowledgeable fans. Are you sure you want legions of youth following him because he's "in" (look at the Live in Dallas video). His record contract problems are unfortunate, but as long as he has the ability to put out new albums/singles, I'm happy.

I can understand wanting hundreds of thousands of people to watch/hear what is, to you, the best singer/songwriter around - but in the end....

jason

P.S. It would be nice if they released a tape of his post-Arsenal videos though.

"I won't share you."

That pretty much sums up the sentiments of Morrissey fans, I would assume - and I agree, to an extent.

The whole MTV thing, to me, was a way to have all of us American fans come together and see if we could pull it off - the horrors that ensued (on MTV's part) are justifiably (spell-check?) upsetting, so calling them on their repeated blunders is something we feel we must do "just because!"

I wouldn't want to hear Morrissey's music on Real World, or Road Rules. I wouldn't want to see him wrestle Robert Smith on that lame claymation show. I wouldn't want to see him hobknobbing with Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson on some dippy awards show. The fact that he's not being played on MTV absolutely does not mean that his career has been a disappointment - I'd rather not see him on MTV EVER (unless it's on 120 Minutes, but then, only if it's tasteful, not "let's go shopping with Morrissey." Thankfully, he hasn't sunk to that level...yet).

Sorry, didn't mean to carry this as far as I have. Basically, Morrissey's place in the whole scheme of things is fine just where it is. And I doubt that he'll ever emerge as a platinum-selling pop icon this late in his career - would we really want that? Would he? Well......= )

But I remember you complaining very loudly that MTV wouldn't play his videos. I'm sorry, but they have yet to design a TV chip that filters out Morrissey videos and shows them only to diehard fans leaving the rest of the audience with a test pattern. How selfish. There maybe some undicovered fan that wants to hear it as much as you, but they just don't know it yet. I mean, it's great for you. At record signings, there are smaller crowds and more time to spend with him, but let's face it. His "relative obscurity" in terms of celebrity (when compared to Michael Jackson) hasn't made him any more willing to emerge from his cubby hole and act like a normal guy on the street and share his life with you any more or less.

I have to admit, on a tangent, that the comic on gURL is pretty funny in that way...and ironic. Just because he belongs to fewer people doesn't make him belong to you much more than anyone else.

Lost Creek

I won't share him!

Just because he belongs to fewer¿ people doesn't make him belong to you much more than anyone¿ else.

Says you!!!

Disillusional as always~!
MLL

Actually...

...they have played Morrissey on Real World. On the third season with that whole thing about Puck and Rachel, they played "The More You Ignore Me" in the background. Not that I watch the show, or anything...well, I certainly don't anymore. It probably was a good idea, ONCE. But seven years later, and where on Earth is it? ...Don't ask me. Like I said, I don't watch it anymore. Only when I'm really desperate. Ok, only when Neil is on...no, SOMETIMES when Neil is on...

...Um, on further reflection, I retract this whole post! :)¿ "I won't share you."¿ That pretty much sums up the sentiments of Morrissey fans, I¿ would assume - and I agree, to an extent.¿ The whole MTV thing, to me, was a way to have all of us American¿ fans come together and see if we could pull it off - the horrors¿ that ensued (on MTV's part) are justifiably (spell-check?)¿ upsetting, so calling them on their repeated blunders is¿ something we feel we must do "just because!"¿ I wouldn't want to hear Morrissey's music on Real World, or Road¿ Rules. I wouldn't want to see him wrestle Robert Smith on that¿ lame claymation show. I wouldn't want to see him hobknobbing¿ with Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson on some dippy awards show.¿ The fact that he's not being played on MTV absolutely does not¿ mean that his career has been a disappointment - I'd rather not¿ see him on MTV EVER (unless it's on 120 Minutes, but then, only¿ if it's tasteful, not "let's go shopping with¿ Morrissey." Thankfully, he hasn't sunk to that¿ level...yet).¿ Sorry, didn't mean to carry this as far as I have. Basically,¿ Morrissey's place in the whole scheme of things is fine just¿ where it is. And I doubt that he'll ever emerge as a¿ platinum-selling pop icon this late in his career - would we¿ really want that? Would he? Well......= )

Re: Actually...

> ...they have played Morrissey on Real World. On the third season¿ with that whole thing about Puck and Rachel, they played¿ "The More You Ignore Me" in the background.
-------
I believe that the Details with Moz on the cover was adorning the coffee table as the song was played, too.

Puck is apparently in prison for assaulting his girlfriend.

Yes, I am a loser.

I never said, I never said...

> But I remember you complaining very loudly that MTV wouldn't¿ play his videos.

I did? Sorry, don't recall such a thing. Perhaps I was referring to the times when they were "new," yet were still not being played.¿I'm sorry, but they have yet to design a TV¿ chip that filters out Morrissey videos and shows them only to¿ diehard fans leaving the rest of the audience with a test¿ pattern. How selfish. There maybe some undicovered fan that¿ wants to hear it as much as you, but they just don't know it¿ yet.

I don't think people got into Morrissey or the Smiths simply because they were plastered all over MTV - that never happened.¿I mean, it's great for you. At record signings, there are¿ smaller crowds and more time to spend with him, but let's face¿ it. His "relative obscurity" in terms of celebrity¿ (when compared to Michael Jackson) hasn't made him any more¿ willing to emerge from his cubby hole and act like a normal guy¿ on the street and share his life with you any more or less.

Which statement of mine were you referring to with this reply? I'm well aware that Morrissey doesn't intend on "sharing his life" with me.

I never implied any of the things you just listed; all I said was that I'd rather not have a channel such as MTV "cheapen" a performer like Morrissey by using his image in the most degrading ways (I mean, CLAY? I can just imagine what his hair would look like!)¿ I have to admit, on a tangent, that the comic on gURL is pretty¿ funny in that way...and ironic. Just because he belongs to fewer¿ people doesn't make him belong to you much more than anyone¿ else.

He belongs to anyone and everyone who loves him - in their own way.

Re: Actually...

Call this vile, but I've quite often, largely sarcastically, thought it would be fun to get cast on the REAL WORLD and then plaster up my Morrissey posters in highly-filmed areas and confront people about why they say "Oh, he sucks" WHEN THEY CAN'T EVEN NAME A SONG HE HAS SUNG.

Cheers,

Jamie

You know what I think...

> Call this vile, but I've quite often, largely sarcastically,¿ thought it would be fun to get cast on the REAL WORLD and then¿ plaster up my Morrissey posters in highly-filmed areas and¿ confront people about why they say "Oh, he sucks" WHEN¿ THEY CAN'T EVEN NAME A SONG HE HAS SUNG.¿ Cheers,¿ Jamie

I think that any one of us, regardless of this whole Total Request Live/120 Minutes mess, would go on the Real World if given the chance. It's just too much a part of our culture to want to be on TV. Say what you will, but if some producer came up to you in the street and told you that you looked interesting, and would you want to try out for the show, that any one of you (myself included) would be down in a flash, spilling your guts about your worst sexual experience, why you hate your father, or if you've ever peed in the shower. I'd put money on it.

Re: You know what I think...

>Say what you will, but if some producer came¿ up to you in the street and told you that you looked¿ interesting, and would you want to try out for the show, that¿ any one of you (myself included) would be down in a flash,¿ spilling your guts about your worst sexual experience, why you¿ hate your father, or if you've ever peed in the shower. I'd put¿ money on it.

It's just a good thing you never will get the chance to put your money on me because well you would be losin some money!
I am always the one to defy all averages :)

> It's just a good thing you never will get the chance to put your¿ money on me because well you would be losin some money!¿ I am always the one to defy all averages :)

I knew someone would post that, and I had a feeling it would be you, Paula!

> I think that any one of us, regardless of this whole Total¿ Request Live/120 Minutes mess, would go on the Real World if¿ given the chance. It's just too much a part of our culture to¿ want to be on TV. Say what you will, but if some producer came¿ up to you in the street and told you that you looked¿ interesting, and would you want to try out for the show, that¿ any one of you (myself included) would be down in a flash,¿ spilling your guts about your worst sexual experience, why you¿ hate your father, or if you've ever peed in the shower. I'd put¿ money on it.

Of course I'd like to be on the Real World! My frustration was aimed more at the close-minded people who won't give Morrissey half a chance just on basis of his name and "reputation."

Cheers,

Jamie

I ADMIT THAT I'M SELFISH

> frustration was aimed more at the close-minded people who won't >give Morrissey half a chance just on basis of his name and¿ "reputation." > Cheers,> Jamie

I suppose I am selfish.
I want to hear at least another Morrissey album.
I want to drive to work with a silly grin on my face because I am hearing the newest single being played.
I want to see another Morrissey video, even if it does leave me whincing. It might be cheesy and flawed, but it will be the man.
I want to attend another Morrissey concert, even if I do get squashed right up against a baracade. I want to claw at the stage until I break my fingernails.
I want to spend too much money on T-shirts and posters.
I want to be half deaf for the next two days after the concert.
I am a very selfish person.

Back
Top Bottom