Gangs of new york (no moz)

R

Ruffian

Any opinions from the board? Interesting film. Daniel D-Lewis certain oscar..

> Any opinions from the board? Interesting film. Daniel D-Lewis certain
> oscar..

I heard it was horrible, left much to be desired.

> oscar..

Is it not a bit long?
Don't fancy risking deep-vein-thrombosis.

Any Scorsese film has to be worth checking out....
he's the guv'nor. (haven't seen it yet but plan to soon)

I thought it was a good, if flawed movie. In the first two hours or so, the story doesn't have nearly the kind of historical resonance that Scorsese wanted it to have. Essentially he gives us a color-by-numbers revenge plot that's just one big yawn. But in the last third, particularly with the riots, things improve drastically, and it becomes the movie I think Scorsese wanted it to be.

Of course, the one element holding it together, which elevates the entire film, is the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis. As long as he is in the "Best Supporting Actor" category he will win the Oscar. I fear if they put him head-to-head with Nicholson for "Best Actor" he'll surely lose. In any case, about halfway through the movie I'd already decided that Bill The Butcher was one of the all-time great cinematic villains, a larger-than-life New Yorker worthy of any of Scorsese's other movies. In fact-- and this is odd praise I guess-- Day-Lewis must have been particularly wonderful because I don't remember any really quotable lines from the script.

> oscar..

i think this movie is getting too much praise because not only is it scorsese, but there were loads of stories about the bickering between him and the studio, so you know that in the end, those silly critics who want to buy in on the action give it more kudos to try to give the finger to big money strong arming.

it starts out with a relatively bloody fight sequence, my friends hiding their eyes because they found it disgusting. so if you are squeamish, then don't go see it.

i know its not of the same genre, but i think that catch me if you can and the Two Towers are better for your money. For either of these, you don't really look at your watch...except of course, to see if this is now the final sequence and if its now sadly coming to an end.

then again, when i saw it, that was the end of a marathon of 2.5-3 hour movies over the course of several days. part of me considered walking and going to see something else because yes, it did way over-establish the fact that Leonardo was trying to become part of the gang, and then, after all that, it was "the world blew up. everybody died. the end."

but you do find some interesting things along the way...if it is historically accurate and that's how life on the streets was lived back then. if that sounds interesting, at least go for that.

> oscar..

Not seen it mate but heard it was pants.

Back
Top Bottom