Id Morrissey was popular here in the states...

C

Courtney

The media would blame him for the Columbine shooting. Not saying Moz is a "Goth", nor his music, but they would blame him. Since everyone around me find most of his songs "vulgar".

~Courtney

PS I'm not starting a Columnine convo, just, a statement if he was popular here...! K?

Some people blame him for causing suicides. I don't think he promotes berserk, violent, antisocial behaviour ... he is quite gentle and kind. He's all love and sympathy and understanding. Nobody in his right mind would blame Moz for a massacre.

I don't really think Morrissey would have that kind of emphasis placed on him by the media. Of course his earlier music would suggest a tone of loneliness and sadness, however transferring that to a tone of anger and violence is too far reaching. Todays "goth" starting with Marilyn Manson is in fact the real cause of the problem, along with the movie industry, where nothing is left to the imagination or to the senses. The only restrictive device on movies is the ratings system, which does very little to keep violence away from kids. I believe Morrissey would be kept on the high road, the "artful" mindset that is protected so voraciously by the media, in fact. Goodnight... and thank you!

>

Ah . . .in the states, the media doesn't know who Morrissey is.

> Some people blame him for causing suicides. I don't think he¿ promotes berserk, violent, antisocial behaviour ... he is quite¿ gentle and kind. He's all love and sympathy and understanding.¿ Nobody in his right mind would blame Moz for a massacre.

I think if there is anything to blame .. then those blames should be on ourselves for making bad decisions..

Re: If Morrissey was popular here in the states...(sorry, i just HAD to change that last typo)

Personally, I think the parents are the primary source of fault here. I'm no Marylin Manson fan or anything, but i do know he was absolutely horrified upon hearing the news of the Columbine shooting. I also think that violent movies and realistically violent video games just add fuel to the fire. I mean, those video games are quite similar to training programs used in the armed forces, where they learn to shoot to kill.

(PS. Please don't bombard me with hate letters about correcting that typo. I don't mean to offend anyone- i'm just nit-picky like that!!! Peace.)

I thought it was 'is' not 'if' - more likely given keyboard positions of s and d..

The ills of society can never be attributed to TV, films or anything else - everything bad that happens is a consequence of simply being human. When we live in societies where our roles are defined by how much money we make and how many products we can sell then its no wonder that some people react in strange ways from time to time.¿ Personally, I think the parents are the primary source of fault¿ here. I'm no Marylin Manson fan or anything, but i do know he¿ was absolutely horrified upon hearing the news of the Columbine¿ shooting. I also think that violent movies and realistically¿ violent video games just add fuel to the fire. I mean, those¿ video games are quite similar to training programs used in the¿ armed forces, where they learn to shoot to kill.¿ (PS. Please don't bombard me with hate letters about correcting¿ that typo. I don't mean to offend anyone- i'm just nit-picky¿ like that!!! Peace.)

Re:It's IF! ("Is Morrissey was" just doesn' cut it.)

> its no wonder that some people react in strange¿ ways from time to time.

That random discontent related act is becoming frightingly more frequent. Blame can be scattered in many directions. There's not one single answer.

Re: If Morrissey WERE popular in the United States...

The subjunctive is necessary here to if the phrase above suggests a condition that is contrary to fact or improbable.

sorry, you're right, I didnt read it properly! (NM)

> That random discontent related act is becoming frightingly more¿ frequent. Blame can be scattered in many directions. There's not¿ one single answer.

Re: If Morrissey WERE popular in the United States...

The subjunctive is necessary here if the phrase above suggests a condition that is improbable or contrary to fact.

> The media would blame him for the Columbine shooting. Not saying¿ Moz is a "Goth", nor his music, but they would blame¿ him. Since everyone around me find most of his songs¿ "vulgar".¿ ~Courtney¿ PS I'm not starting a Columnine convo, just, a statement if he¿ was popular here...! K?

If the Trench Coat Mafia had had the intelligence to like Morrissey they would've survived their depression without going postal, just like all of us did.

Re: I thought it was 'is' not 'if' - more likely given keyboard positions of s and d..

> The ills of society can never be attributed to TV, films or¿ anything else - everything bad that happens is a consequence of¿ simply being human. When we live in societies where our roles¿ are defined by how much money we make and how many products we¿ can sell then its no wonder that some people react in strange¿ ways from time to time.

It's interesting how they all jumped on Marilyn Manson with Columbione, but some of the other recent mass murders had religious connections that the media gave little attentionto at all. Most recently, that day trader who went berserk kept going on about Jehova.
And those two little kids who took shots at their classmates from a nearby hill were very involved in their church.

Re:It's IF! ("Is Morrissey was" just doesn' cut it.)

> That random discontent related act is becoming frightingly more¿ frequent. Blame can be scattered in many directions. There's not¿ one single answer.

There's not one single answer, but there is one part of the solution that's obvious: If the media didn't give so much publicity to these incidents there wouldn't be as many copycats.

Re: If Morrissey was popular here in the states...(sorry, i just HAD to change that last typo)

Just think of the millions of people who like to see Rambo-type movies and get a thrill out of watching buildings explode and people dying, yet, nobody has ever said that was sick.

> Just think of the millions of people who like to see Rambo-type¿ movies and get a thrill out of watching buildings explode and¿ people dying, yet, nobody has ever said that was sick.

i personally think rambo was a great action movie during its time : ) people go to movies to get 2 hours of their life entertained.. and they have already subconsciously acknowledge that it is just a movie. people die in movies.. and it's no different than getting blown up by rambo.. it's just a movie and if anyone is offended by that should settle for mr rogers neighborhood or the daily soap operas.. anyone who is detached from reality enough to go out and blow up a building just simply has a mental problem...

Back
Top Bottom