golden oldies tour panic

T

tremulous heart

When I heard about Morrissey's upcoming tour, this is what I thought: 'This is going to be his LAST TOUR EVER.' I mean, he just turned forty (symbolic age) and he's always talked about how pathetic old rockers are (get off the stage!). And he doesn't have any new material coming out, so this is a 'greatest hits' tour, which is a sign that he's now an OLDIES ACT. So I figured this was going to the Mozzer's big farewell and that he was planning to disappear very shortly and become a fat recluse. Or maybe a pop Glenn Gould, a recording artist who refuses to do live shows (cuz he's too old). So I was PANICKING because I've never seen the man live and if I don't see him on this tour then I will never see him and I will die from misery.

So is this Morrissey's last tour or what?

¿ And he¿ doesn't have any new material coming out, so this is a 'greatest¿ hits' tour, which is a sign that he's now an OLDIES ACT.

yeah well the guy that posted the 'news' that this would be an 'oldies' tour also stated that a new record would be coming out when they got on a label and that he would 'retire' his catalogue of older stuff and play all NEW songs when he comes back for a proper tour of the US in the new year...

if anything this sounds like a new and improved moz, looking towards the horizon, leaving the old stuff behind.

besides, it hasnt really been confirmed that this is an oldies tour... boz said that they would play new and old songs.

Re: golden oldies tour panic (For Whom The Bell Tolls)

> So is this Morrissey's last tour or what?

No.

Hey I dare everyone to start a singalong of Get Off The Stage to Mozzer during the tour.

Ha Ha Ha!

I dont think that Morrissey will become an "old rocker" like Jagger or something, but I dont see any reason why he should retire from live shows either - The song "get off the stage" really deals with those artistes who lose a certain amount of dignity by forgetting to change their act as they get older - some performers ( like Sinatra or Shirly Bassey ) know how to take advantage of their age, and use it to create a real stage presence.
I'm sure as Morrissey gets older he too will change, as will his music and the kind of show he puts on.¿ When I heard about Morrissey's upcoming tour, this is what I¿ thought: 'This is going to be his LAST TOUR EVER.' I mean, he¿ just turned forty (symbolic age) and he's always talked about¿ how pathetic old rockers are (get off the stage!). And he¿ doesn't have any new material coming out, so this is a 'greatest¿ hits' tour, which is a sign that he's now an OLDIES ACT. So I¿ figured this was going to the Mozzer's big farewell and that he¿ was planning to disappear very shortly and become a fat recluse.¿ Or maybe a pop Glenn Gould, a recording artist who refuses to do¿ live shows (cuz he's too old). So I was PANICKING because I've¿ never seen the man live and if I don't see him on this tour then¿ I will never see him and I will die from misery.¿ So is this Morrissey's last tour or what?

> I agree Consumer Monkey. Although some may argue, Morrissey has indeed grown. He has grown-up gracefully!!! I for one would never want Morrissey to return to his waif Smiths persona (he came, he conquered and that person faded into the sunset with dignity . . . and I have all of the great memories, untarnished). Stones fans, however, want Mick to play Satisfaction over and over again . . . and relive 1973. Same with Bruce fans etc. And I could go on. Morrissey has certainly never lost his dignity, primarily because he has prudently kept all of us out of his private life. He is still a mystery with every single and album release . . . with every tour . . . we really don't know what "package" we'll be getting. And, physically, he is very youthful for his age (I'm his age!) . . . by his age, most Pop Stars show the signs of the work and lifestyle . . . unless, of course, there is air-brushing involved. Having met him and seen him in concert many times, he is a presence and he is very much a regular looking guy . . . and despite his history of physical ailments, every show has tremendous physical energy. And, believe it or not, despite allegedly having NO mainstream following whatsoever in terms of "numbers" (its just a lack of numbers because of all of the crap he is competing with in music today at all age levels) . . . people ten years younger than me and ten years older flock to his shows. And they are not all crying out for "Everyday is Like Sunday" . . . most want new, new, new . . . they can't get enough because the product has always been so rewarding. As long as the product is truly rewarding to him and his loyal fans, and he isn't a physical wreck or embarrassment, why not continue 'till The Death?!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom