UK Music: Janice Long and The June Brides... an interesting read...

L

luckystart

The June Brides:

'A funny thing happens when I think of wrong and right,
I go round in circles as I go to sleep at night,
And all the stupid tales we tell, they never go nowhere,
I sometimes think that all we dream are castles in the air'

I thought some of you would be interested in reading this short excerpt from a note regarding the band, the June Brides, from back then in 198xx !!

"The singles were certainly more radio friendly, which was the thing needed to match the anticipated plugging money In Tape insisted they would invest in the singles. The end result of this plugging was hard to notice - although we were once given the shock of being played on daytime Radio 1 by Simon Bates!

Phil, Ace and Jon had more fortune when they marched into the BBC in September 1985 demanding to see Janice Long. Walking into her office as she was pencilling in her play list for that evening's show they presented her with a copy of the LP and insisted she play a track that evening. Well, she selected Sick Tired and Drunk and with a fat eraser took out another band to write in the June Brides name, (history does not record which band were erased but divine justice would have decreed it was The Housemartins). Off they skipped down the corridor, deed done; like most times during this band's life it had proved more profitable to act on their own behalf rather than depend on others. "

Lucky.

... and the housemartins were around at the same time too.....

> An interesting read? Don't pre-judge it.

They got back together a few years ago for a "one off" gig in London, I had hoped that they might do a little tour, but alas...

I have a copy of the Janice Long session they recorded that night, it was put out on vinyl a few years later, it's a good one.

Can we bring this june brides shite to a quick painless end? Just in case any younger moz fans out there are wondering, they were sub-buzzcocks, pete shelley- wannabe shite.

Even the lyrics you quote has the tired old 'castles in the air' chestnut. Dial a cliche.

That's it. No more. Your (not very) cunning plan to arouse interest in them shall now cease. Everyone out there - listen up!! They were shite. Got that?? Good.

The June Brides

The June Brides were a great band, and theit compilation album "For Better Or Worse" (still available from http://www.amazon.co.uk) is a great listen.

To describe them as "sub-Buzzcocks" shows a very poor knowledge of post-punk. The June Brides had far more in common with Postcard bands like Orange Juice and Josef K, and, with the addition of a horn player and a viola, a sound somewhere inbetween VU and The Pale Fountains.

The June Brides were also nominated by Morrissey as his favourite group in an NME poll from '85.

The June Brides
living1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom