Where do I start with Nick Cave?

> Any recommendations, please?

All of his albums are good. I personally started with 'Henry's Dream' and became a big fan. His last two albums are quite good 'Boatman's call' and 'No more Shall we part'. BOth are highly recommended, though Cave doesn't seem to do as many manic songs anymore. Both albums are fairly laid-back. So if that's yr cup of tea.

As for my favorite, probably 'Tender prey', followed by 'Murder Ballads'. 'Murder ballads' might not be as good of a place to start as the 2 newer albums, as the death toll is quite staggering (even by Cave's standards).

There's a greatest hits, as well as a live album, if you want to wuss out. If you do like Cave, you are going to want to seek out all his albums, though.

Oh, and whoever asked about B&S, looking for new bands, if you haven't tried Nick Cave, you should do so.

Later on, if you get adventorous, we can start talking Birthday Party.

also..

The only Nick Cave stuff I see in stores that sell new stuff is the last album and the Greatest Hits. so good luck. Granted, i never go on ebay or anything and don't know the quality of yr local record stores. You could write to Mute, I guess.

Any of them...for instance, the "Best Of" album is a good intro, if anything. But if you want to start with an album, "Let Love In" would be a good start.

Try reading "Bad Seed" the biography hich is first class and explains so much about the recordings and the man.

The early stuff is very raw in sound and the latest stuff is very commercial but Let Love In, The Good Son and Henry's Dream are middle ground.

Henry's Dream for sure. and the live CD isn't bad either. it's a good selection and not bad sound for live. treat yourself.

Thanks everyone.

> Henry's Dream for sure. and the live CD isn't bad either. it's a good
> selection and not bad sound for live. treat yourself.

So far, it's between Henry's Dream and Murder Ballads. I'll keep an eye out for both of 'em and let you know how I like them

> Try reading "Bad Seed" the biography hich is first class and
> explains so much about the recordings and the man.

> The early stuff is very raw in sound and the latest stuff is very
> commercial but Let Love In, The Good Son and Henry's Dream are middle
> ground.

Speaking of reading, you may also like to try reading his novel And The Ass Saw The Angel.

> Speaking of reading, you may also like to try reading his novel And The
> Ass Saw The Angel .

That might be too much to ask of anyone! It isn't exactly the easiest of reads.

Re: where to start I'd recommend Let Love In or Tender Prey. The Best Of does give you an overall view though so it might also be a good idea. He has a new album coming in February which is produced by someone that worked with Nick on the Birthday Party albums and apparently this new album has a rougher edge.
If you can't find what you want in the shops try www.mute.com as they never delete back catalogue, only the limited editions.
While you're online at Mute I suggest you buy up all the Fad Gadget and Suicide albums!

> Speaking of reading, you may also like to try reading his novel And The
> Ass Saw The Angel .

Arggh, I've been looking for that book everywhere and I can't find a copy.

Yeah, I've heard the book is a bit of a rough read (comparable to dylan's 'Tarantula') but if you find that you like Cave alot, then look for it.

I've never read it, except for a short excerpt.

> Arggh, I've been looking for that book everywhere and I can't find a copy.
>

Actually Amazon UK have it in stock at the moment http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140294554/qid=1037195953/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-0453435-1232406 (I don't know if its worth your while financially getting it shipped from the UK, however.) I don't think it's really a "rough read" in the sense that "Tarantula" is (which, IMHO, is the sense of being fundamentally unreadable) - I think Cave is a much better writer - but it *is* very harrowing.

The URL on my PC says morrissey-solo.com. Should I go to a Cave site for moz stuff? Thanks

> Actually Amazon UK have it in stock at the moment
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140294554/qid=1037195953/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-0453435-1232406
> (I don't know if its worth your while financially getting it shipped from
> the UK, however.)

Ee, I have no credit card, and I'm not exactly over-flowing with money. :/

> Any of them...for instance, the "Best Of" album is a good intro,

Never start with a best of unless you have to.

Stick to dancing round your room on your own to ABBA

> The URL on my PC says morrissey-solo.com. Should I go to a Cave site for
> moz stuff? Thanks

I'm a little late on this one. There are so many good albums but i would seriously recommend his lastest two. The boatmans call - this totally blows me away & no more shall we part - this is just as good as the boatmans call.

Nick cave is the most amazing song writer!

> I'm a little late on this one. There are so many good albums but i would
> seriously recommend his lastest two. The boatmans call - this totally
> blows me away & no more shall we part - this is just as good as the
> boatmans call.

> Nick cave is the most amazing song writer!
Well,2nd most amazing.

Back
Top Bottom