These Things Take Time (TV doc) - some thoughts

• Thread starter The Magic Fairy
  • Start date
T

The Magic Fairy

Just watched "These Things Take Time" on Granada. Hmm, it was alright. There was a sprinkling of archive clips (the Tube, TotP, Granada Reports) and some rather murky home video footage of assorted dressing rooms. People interviewed included Rourke and Joyce, Craig Gannon, Johnny Rogan, John Peel, Stephen Street, Phil Gatenby, one of Morrissey's old teachers, and, erm, the singer from Idlewild. Nothing particularly new here.

The programme dwelt on the formation of the group at some length. Oddly, although it featured the early bassist (whose name I can't remember), it completely ignored drummer Simon Wolstencroft. Inevitably, the documentary focussed on the 90s court case.

I thought it odd that the closing line was "He rarely - if ever - gives interviews", considering his recent radio work. Perhaps the bulk of the programme was filmed before the recent live dates.

I'm grateful that it was made by Granada rather than the BBC. Had the latter done it, it would have been stuffed with the usual talking heads (Jamie Theakston, Zoe Ball, Sarah Green) to whom the Smiths meant nothing, reading lines off idiot boards merely to cue up the next clip.

TMF

Thanx for the summary- hopefully we get to see it in the U.S.A. eventually!!

Re: These Things Take Time TV Doc- comments

> Just watched "These Things Take Time" on Granada. Hmm, it was
> alright. There was a sprinkling of archive clips (the Tube, TotP, Granada
> Reports) and some rather murky home video footage of assorted dressing
> rooms. People interviewed included Rourke and Joyce, Craig Gannon, Johnny
> Rogan, John Peel, Stephen Street, Phil Gatenby, one of Morrissey's old
> teachers, and, erm, the singer from Idlewild. Nothing particularly new
> here.

Hi TMF, also saw the show and was entertained by it, although not a lot new was learnt.. except I never knew Morrissey insisted on a small tree as part of his rider in the dressing room!! I like amusing eccentrics.

I also like grainy backstage footage of bands for some reason.. a little peak into the bands lives before they perform.

Rogan spoke a lot, talking of 'Talking Heads'.. always a bit suspicious of him for some reason, like someone I am wouldn't naturally warm too in real life. John Peel is always good value though.

Thought Rourke and Joyce came over well.. and if Mike Joyces parting shot that, and a quote to the effect that " Morrissey won't pay the money because the English courts legislation carries no weight in the States in his opinion".. then that sounds very wrong of Morrissey to me.

Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom