What was so bad about "The Severed Alliance" ?

B

Brennan

I finally read this book and found it quite interesting. I enjoyed all the details on Morrissey's pre-Smiths life especially.

Does anyone know why Morrissey found the book so objectionable? Rogan really didn't say anything bad about him.

When Rogan tells us what Morrissey got up to in his Bedroom, what his dreams consisted of etc, it loses all credibility.

Re: Question about The Severed Alliance

As far as I can remember, Johnny Rogan went into incredible detail about Morrissey's pre-Smiths life even detailing what he did on a particular day etc... my question is: how did he know this? Did he have access to Morrissey's teenage diaries, did he quote from Morrissey's letters or was he just making it up? How credible is the book? Any ideas/ opinions?

He made it up, he must have. There are things in the book that only Morrissey would have known and even he would have had to consult a very detailed diary.

Rogan clearly spent a great deal of time and energy on his research for the book, but his colourful imagination trading as fact throws all credibility out of the window.

Isn't the main problem that he didn't speak to any people who were close to Morrissey during these early years???? He had spoken to people who went to the same school as Morrissey and his sisters ex-boyfriend etc...Well, I somehow do not think these people could give an accurate description of Morrissey's life.
I don't believe anyone thinks Moz is that kind of guy who used to open his heart for his sister's bouyfriend...except Johnny Rogan.

An autobiography would be nice, though...

Re: "The Severed Alliance" contains a lot of good info, but documentation is weak.

mr M didnt even read said book,which was a marvelous piece of work.

i did notice that the author had an unwholesome fascination with
johnny marrs''angelic looks''though.

this was quite grating,
as ive always thought mr marr looks like an over-fed sewer rat.

I interviewed Johnny Rogan for my Smiths fanzine in 1994. As far as I know it is the only interview he has ever done on the subject of the book.

Johnny Rogan Interview

> i did notice that the author had an unwholesome fascination with
> johnny marrs''angelic looks''though.

> this was quite grating,
> as ive always thought mr marr looks like an over-fed sewer rat.

Rats are cute...I used to have a pet one. And personally, I think Johnny's adorable. But that's just me.
(no offence to Pillow...I'm a big fan of your's)

Morrissey must have cooperated w/ Rogan

How else would Rogan have known about Morrissey's childhood journal, and who else could have given him pictures of the Morrissey grandparents, childhood photos, etc.?

Nope.

Jake?

> How else would Rogan have known about Morrissey's childhood journal, and
> who else could have given him pictures of the Morrissey grandparents,
> childhood photos, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom