Morrissey and Glenn Gould: The Novelty of the Interview

B

Bosie

In Stratford, Ontario, a play about Glenn Gould has rekindled interest in Gould's recordings and the biographic work about him. At 50, he re-recorded his first best-seller, Bach's Goldberg Varitions. This would be like Morrissey re-recording his first album with The Smiths. It is a vintage stunt.

This summer I was commissioned to write an article covering Glenn Gould's performances and direction of the Stratford Festival Concert Series over a ten-year period (1953-1963). While researching, I read _Conversations with Glenn Gould_ and it struck me that someone with such a massive intellect, who could interpret notation, history, literature, art, politics, etc. in vivid lyrical prose - right off the cuff - without backspace, did not write more creatively. He did, however, write and publish several articles.

At 40, it seems that Morrissey's career has come under much speculation on this site, especially with latest latin rumours. After reading his early essay "James Dean Is Not Dead" more than two years ago online (whose site???), I can't help hoping for him to return to the exhaustive craft of writing prose, even if sedatives are involved to keep him seated, sedated, and sequestered longer than the thirty odd words of a three-minute pop song (see _Thirty-Two Short Films about Glenn Gould_ for a list of productive pills). I wouldn't want him to suffer through the labour pains of tradional English narrative (ie: Stephen Fry's _The Liar_ or Jennifer Lash's _Blood Ties_ that birth characters from foetus to full-grown failure). Perhaps, a peroid in life as long as apple rot, or a good 40,000 words about your average Dublin trist.

Anyway, my impeteus for writing this has little to do with anything I just wrote. It was supposed to be about the fact that someone like Morrissey doesn't have to write books because everything they ever wanted to say has an eager microphone waiting to record it; it doesn't have to be wrapped in fictious dinner parties and fake-fur. And, over the years, there is an oral record which has literary merit.

Swallow Shirts

I was trying to think of something articulate to say ... but all I can think of is that I like Colm Feore. And I think we have a psychic connection and I saw that movie last week and I was comparing Glenn with Morrissey and I thought 'What if Morrissey never performed live again!'. And I maybe thought some other things but I forget what they were. Scintillating post stops here.¿ In Stratford, Ontario, a play about Glenn Gould has rekindled¿ interest in Gould's recordings and the biographic work about¿ him. At 50, he re-recorded his first best-seller, Bach's¿ Goldberg Varitions. This would be like Morrissey re-recording¿ his first album with The Smiths. It is a vintage stunt.¿ This summer I was commissioned to write an article covering¿ Glenn Gould's performances and direction of the Stratford¿ Festival Concert Series over a ten-year period (1953-1963).¿ While researching, I read _Conversations with Glenn Gould_ and¿ it struck me that someone with such a massive intellect, who¿ could interpret notation, history, literature, art, politics,¿ etc. in vivid lyrical prose - right off the cuff - without¿ backspace, did not write more creatively. He did, however, write¿ and publish several articles.¿ At 40, it seems that Morrissey's career has come under much¿ speculation on this site, especially with latest latin rumours.¿ After reading his early essay "James Dean Is Not Dead"¿ more than two years ago online (whose site???), I can't help¿ hoping for him to return to the exhaustive craft of writing¿ prose, even if sedatives are involved to keep him seated,¿ sedated, and sequestered longer than the thirty odd words of a¿ three-minute pop song (see _Thirty-Two Short Films about Glenn¿ Gould_ for a list of productive pills). I wouldn't want him to¿ suffer through the labour pains of tradional English narrative¿ (ie: Stephen Fry's _The Liar_ or Jennifer Lash's _Blood Ties_¿ that birth characters from foetus to full-grown failure).¿ Perhaps, a peroid in life as long as apple rot, or a good 40,000¿ words about your average Dublin trist.¿ Anyway, my impeteus for writing this has little to do with¿ anything I just wrote. It was supposed to be about the fact that¿ someone like Morrissey doesn't have to write books because¿ everything they ever wanted to say has an eager microphone¿ waiting to record it; it doesn't have to be wrapped in fictious¿ dinner parties and fake-fur. And, over the years, there is an¿ oral record which has literary merit.

for me moz and glenn gould have the following relationship: glenn gould is my preferred classical musician (i heard most of his bach interpretation thousand times - it is always brighter than other interpretaions); moz is my preferred pop musician. i was glad to see both put toghether in a post here.¿ I was trying to think of something articulate to say ... but all¿ I can think of is that I like Colm Feore. And I think we have a¿ psychic connection and I saw that movie last week and I was¿ comparing Glenn with Morrissey and I thought 'What if Morrissey¿ never performed live again!'. And I maybe thought some other¿ things but I forget what they were. Scintillating post stops¿ here.

Also, lets not forget that Morrissey is a pop star, and as such is more than just his work - ie he is an artistic invention in himself - ( like Oscar Wilde ).
I personally hope Morrissey never releases a novel, because he is a word-smith who uses language in a very intimate way, and I'm sure he would struggle with the broad brush neccessary for the novel. A short, strange play might work though.

For those who are intersted, the link to the James Dean book is http://members.xoom.com/costelt/smithsmoz/Jamesdean/dean.htm , there's another one for NYdolls at the same site.¿ In Stratford, Ontario, a play about Glenn Gould has rekindled¿ interest in Gould's recordings and the biographic work about¿ him. At 50, he re-recorded his first best-seller, Bach's¿ Goldberg Varitions. This would be like Morrissey re-recording¿ his first album with The Smiths. It is a vintage stunt.¿ This summer I was commissioned to write an article covering¿ Glenn Gould's performances and direction of the Stratford¿ Festival Concert Series over a ten-year period (1953-1963).¿ While researching, I read _Conversations with Glenn Gould_ and¿ it struck me that someone with such a massive intellect, who¿ could interpret notation, history, literature, art, politics,¿ etc. in vivid lyrical prose - right off the cuff - without¿ backspace, did not write more creatively. He did, however, write¿ and publish several articles.¿ At 40, it seems that Morrissey's career has come under much¿ speculation on this site, especially with latest latin rumours.¿ After reading his early essay "James Dean Is Not Dead"¿ more than two years ago online (whose site???), I can't help¿ hoping for him to return to the exhaustive craft of writing¿ prose, even if sedatives are involved to keep him seated,¿ sedated, and sequestered longer than the thirty odd words of a¿ three-minute pop song (see _Thirty-Two Short Films about Glenn¿ Gould_ for a list of productive pills). I wouldn't want him to¿ suffer through the labour pains of tradional English narrative¿ (ie: Stephen Fry's _The Liar_ or Jennifer Lash's _Blood Ties_¿ that birth characters from foetus to full-grown failure).¿ Perhaps, a peroid in life as long as apple rot, or a good 40,000¿ words about your average Dublin trist.¿ Anyway, my impeteus for writing this has little to do with¿ anything I just wrote. It was supposed to be about the fact that¿ someone like Morrissey doesn't have to write books because¿ everything they ever wanted to say has an eager microphone¿ waiting to record it; it doesn't have to be wrapped in fictious¿ dinner parties and fake-fur. And, over the years, there is an¿ oral record which has literary merit.

Come on then!