Who hates U2?

> *Raise your hand if you hate U2!*

*raises hand* I can't stand U2!! Never could. I'd pay a dollar to kick Bono in the teeth. Arrogant twat.

> *raises hand* I can't stand U2!! Never could. I'd pay a dollar to kick
> Bono in the teeth. Arrogant twat.

Some of his songs make he want to die, yes. I wouldn't kick him in the teeth. Did you know he's been trying to raise awareness about the situation in Africa?
He may not be the coolest, but at least he has a heart and is using his weight as a celibrity to help some less fortunate people.

Re: Who hates U2? I do!!!

> *raises hand* I can't stand U2!! Never could. I'd pay a dollar to kick
> Bono in the teeth. Arrogant twat.

LOL *raises both hands*

I hate U2 also. They're so arrogant...Why does Bono always have to wear sunglasses? I think he's trying to fit in with his MTV fans. Bono thinks he's so cool. U2's music isn't that great...Morrissey is 100 times better musically and lyrically. He's better looking, more intelligent and he CAN sing! The list could go on for days. Another reason I hate U2 and their fans is because they think everyone should *respect* them. What's to respect? They're mainstream. They have tons of money...they're a freakin corporation. Plus the fact that they suck. They're the most commercial band out there, I don't know how anyone can take them seriously.

Please!!

> Some of his songs make he want to die, yes. I wouldn't kick him in the
> teeth. Did you know he's been trying to raise awareness about the
> situation in Africa?
> He may not be the coolest, but at least he has a heart and is using his
> weight as a celibrity to help some less fortunate people.

He has tons of money. Let's not blind ourselves here, his "raising awareness about the situation in Africa" makes him look hella good. Everyone thinks he's such a saint. People have to do good things even when nobody is watching. No, Bono has to tell *everyone* that he's trying to *help.* Maybe he is donating money, which is good, but you have to lose money to make money. It's a secure investment.

Morrissey didn't go around letting everyone know about the conference he did in Australia for Peta. He didn't have to...he wasn't in it for the fame. As I've said time and again, U2 is a corporation...they may have been in it for the music at one point, but they sold out a long time ago.

> Some of his songs make he want to die, yes. I wouldn't kick him in the
> teeth. Did you know he's been trying to raise awareness about the
> situation in Africa?
> He may not be the coolest, but at least he has a heart and is using his
> weight as a celibrity to help some less fortunate people.
OK, thats great if he were asking the entire World to help in the battle but he is only addressing 1 country to pay for awareness, treatment, cure and criticizing this country for not doing enough. I'll give you a hint: its not Ireland.

just because a band is mainstream doesnt mean that it sucks. christ, i bet you'd shit on morrissey if you thought he ever became mainstream. i can't stand people who think that just because something is popular it must suck. often, this is true, but it's bitchy to use that as a reason someone sucks. it's more a product of their sucking rather than a cause.

that being said, i think that bono can be bombastic, but i applaud him for what he tries to do. yes, he could probably feed a small country for a decade on what he makes, but we dont know whether or not he donates money. i'd imagine he probably donates a lot. furthermore, it's retarded to say that he should do good things when nobody is looking. he is in the public eye. people are looking at him all the time. he may as well use his fame to try to make the world a better place. yes, it is good to do good things when nobody is looking, but doing good is doing good. even if your heart isn't in the right place, people are still getting helped. besides, i think bono's heart is in the right place.

and no, i am not a huge U2 fan. i have always had a soft spot for the band and think it's a lot better than most shit that's out there. i just think it's really uncool to bash them on the basis of their popularity and bono's charity work. that's got nothing to do with the quality of their music. if you must bash, why not try to be a bit more relevant?

Re: Please!!

No one can find fault with anyone who doesn't like U2's music. That's a matter of taste. Me, I was always impressed by The Edge, who said in a 1987 interview that the only fellow guitar player that he really liked and admired was Johnny Marr.

Bono's social/political agenda is another matter.

The Great Bono Debate is so old now, but it always seems fresh. No one excites as much antipathy, insecurity, and resentment-- and affection-- as Bono does. He dares us not to be cynical, and that's hard. And if he was easy to ignore in his histrionic flag-waving days, of late Bono has put to shame people who use the argument that a celebrity's status instantly and automatically outweighs his or her real convictions. I used to revile Bono's crusading antics as much as anyone, but after reading several accounts of his work for debt relief in Africa, I'm more than a little humbled in the face of what the man has actually helped accomplish.

Now, in many ways I feel Morrissey has done as much as other, more celebrated "socially conscious" artists, but the incontestable fact is that Bono has done more to give real help to real people in the world than Morrissey or any other contemporary pop star. This is verified; this is beyond debate.

As a figurehead for the Drop The Debt organization, he has had a direct hand in saving the lives of thousands of Africans. Not only that, he's far from a hypocritical figurehead who's all commitment for the cameras but couldn't care less about the cause. Time and time again, he's had an impressive list of witnesses come forth to testify to his intelligence, hard work, and genuine feeling.

"I refused to meet him at first," says Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, who last year joined Pope John Paul II, Bill Clinton, Jean Chretien, George Soros, Jesse Helms and Colin Powell on Bono's all-star chat list. "I thought he was just some pop star who wanted to use me." After their scheduled half-hour session went 90 min., O'Neill changed his mind. "He's a serious person. He cares deeply about these issues, and you know what? He knows a lot about them." [Time Magazine]

As for Bono's self-promotion, the attention he's gotten from pulpy news outlets doesn't take away the fact that he has truly made a difference. And if Bono has been using his considerable talent for self-promotion, it has been directed mainly at people who matter-- politicians and power-brokers.

I remember a very keen observation of Morrissey's, apropos Live Aid. He said that the whole thing was essentially a horrible mistake because the artists were asking for handouts from average citizens rather than going after the people who could really help the famine in Africa. He was right, and of course U2 was part of the sham. But give Bono credit. He may have inflicted his bombastic presence on the public in Live Aid, but he learned his lesson and these days he's doing exactly as Morrissey wanted-- he's working directly with politicians to change the world for the better. For every show-biz interview he does for his causes he probably has five meetings with politicians in various countries to push the Debt Relief campaign. That means a lot.

On a personal level, Bono isn't nearly as pretentious and self-serving as he seems. Or rather, he is, but he can laugh at himself, and at the end of the day I think he knows exactly who he is. Can anyone say the same of Morrissey, who is every inch a pop star twenty-four seven?

You might want to read Bono's engaging account of his activities in a speech he gave to Harvard students in June 2001. Here are a few excerpts.

"My name is Bono, and I am a rock star.

Now, I tell you this, not as a boast but as a kind of confession. Because in my view the only thing worse than a rock star is a rock star with a conscience - a celebrity with a cause... oh, dear!

Worse yet, is a singer with a conscience - a placard-waving, knee-jerking, fellow-travelling activist with a Lexus, and a swimming pool shaped like his head.

I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego. When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day, you know you're a singer. ...

But I've seen the other side of music - the Business. I've seen success as a drug of choice. I've seen great minds and prolific imaginations disappear up their own ass, strung out on their own self importance. I'm one of them.

The misery of having it all your own way, the loneliness of sitting at a table where everyone works for you, the emptiness of arriving at Aspen on a Gulfstream to stay in your winter palace. Eh, sorry, different speech ... "

http://www.jubilee2000uk.org/worldnews/northamerica/bono_addresses_harvard.htm

> just because a band is mainstream doesnt mean that it sucks. christ, i bet
> you'd shit on morrissey if you thought he ever became mainstream. i can't
> stand people who think that just because something is popular it must
> suck. often, this is true, but it's bitchy to use that as a reason someone
> sucks. it's more a product of their sucking rather than a cause.

> that being said, i think that bono can be bombastic, but i applaud him for
> what he tries to do. yes, he could probably feed a small country for a
> decade on what he makes, but we dont know whether or not he donates money.
> i'd imagine he probably donates a lot. furthermore, it's retarded to say
> that he should do good things when nobody is looking. he is in the public
> eye. people are looking at him all the time. he may as well use his fame
> to try to make the world a better place. yes, it is good to do good things
> when nobody is looking, but doing good is doing good. even if your heart
> isn't in the right place, people are still getting helped. besides, i
> think bono's heart is in the right place.

> and no, i am not a huge U2 fan. i have always had a soft spot for the band
> and think it's a lot better than most shit that's out there. i just think
> it's really uncool to bash them on the basis of their popularity and
> bono's charity work. that's got nothing to do with the quality of their
> music. if you must bash, why not try to be a bit more relevant?

They are alright. I think they have made their mark in rock and roll history, when they first came into popularity in America they were phenominal. But as with any other band who becomes a multi-million industry, i.e "selling out" they lose something. I just don't like how they preached against this in 'Joshua Tree' and turn around and became exactly what they used to stand against. They became a "Pop Mart" band. But that's life in mainstream music today.

that's more like it. constructive criticism is so much more useful. i agree with you about the pop mart thing, although i enjoyed their last album. not exactly thought-provoking, but who said music always has to be?

> They are alright. I think they have made their mark in rock and roll
> history, when they first came into popularity in America they were
> phenominal. But as with any other band who becomes a multi-million
> industry, i.e "selling out" they lose something. I just don't
> like how they preached against this in 'Joshua Tree' and turn around and
> became exactly what they used to stand against. They became a "Pop
> Mart" band. But that's life in mainstream music today.

I donno... I don't hate Bono, but...

Speaking of Eire, Cranberries whip U2 ass!

I watched U2 on the Elevation Tour, they were amazing technically and the sound was unbelievable. Forget all the politics and all that rubbish, nobody ever listens to popstars comments. Even 99 percent of Smiths fans are meat eaters, it's about the music, simple. Whatever you may think of U2, they are a great songwriting band and there are not many bands that can do what they have done for the last 20 years.

I've already had this discussion, but here goes:

They're one of the most literate bands out there (Bukowski, Burroughs, Rushdie)
They have great taste in music (Eno, Lou Reed, Ramones etc)
They are active in politics
and seem to be able to reinvent themselves (a trait I'm sure you find admirable in Madonna)

The first three LP's are great (although admittedly a strong PiL/Divs influence).

Sure, being millionaire rawk stars is a paradox; much as being a celibate star surrounded by adoring fans. But I think they do the best they can

There's just too many bands that are Van Halen and have nothing to say; and in this day and age, writing yr own songs has become a revolutionary act.

I'd go on, but as far as down on this thread, no one's going to read this anyway

> OK, thats great if he were asking the entire World to help in the battle
> but he is only addressing 1 country to pay for awareness, treatment, cure
> and criticizing this country for not doing enough. I'll give you a hint:
> its not Ireland.

One country contributes the least of western countries to helping out Africa, so maybe he should be addressing that one country. *cough*

Let's Roll!

> just because a band is mainstream doesnt mean that it sucks. christ, i bet
> you'd shit on morrissey if you thought he ever became mainstream. i can't
> stand people who think that just because something is popular it must
> suck. often, this is true, but it's bitchy to use that as a reason someone
> sucks. it's more a product of their sucking rather than a cause.

> that being said, i think that bono can be bombastic, but i applaud him for
> what he tries to do. yes, he could probably feed a small country for a
> decade on what he makes, but we dont know whether or not he donates money.
> i'd imagine he probably donates a lot. furthermore, it's retarded to say
> that he should do good things when nobody is looking. he is in the public
> eye. people are looking at him all the time. he may as well use his fame
> to try to make the world a better place. yes, it is good to do good things
> when nobody is looking, but doing good is doing good. even if your heart
> isn't in the right place, people are still getting helped. besides, i
> think bono's heart is in the right place.

> and no, i am not a huge U2 fan. i have always had a soft spot for the band
> and think it's a lot better than most shit that's out there. i just think
> it's really uncool to bash them on the basis of their popularity and
> bono's charity work. that's got nothing to do with the quality of their
> music. if you must bash, why not try to be a bit more relevant?

First of all Mindy, don't ever say that I or the things I say are "bitchy" or "retarded." Unfortunately, you don't know me, so you can't categorize me in the group of people that you can't stand who think that just because something is popular it must suck. The light usage in your words will not win you any respect, in fact, the lack of knowledge in your response leaves much to be desired. It's so unfortunate that people like you resort to making uninformed comments on an internet discussion board. I was extremely informed about what I said, and regardless, it was *my* comment. I don't plan on writing a book on how much I despise U2 (although I certainly could, based on what's fact and of relevance to me). I gave plenty of reasons as to why U2 sucks. Needless to say, my thoughts and opinions are once again, relevant to only me.

This message board is only about personal opinions. Nothing can be taken as fact. Therefore, your first sentence is unnecessary, "just because a band is mainstream doesnt mean it sucks." Nobody said that due to the fact that U2 is mainstream they suck. In my opinion, they suck because they suck...nothing more, nothing less. They always have and always will. You're an extremist. You took a *matter of opinion* comment and attempted to make it a debate, when nowhere in the comment were there blatant statements supporting your first sentence. I can't wait to see what you'll come up with in response hereof. Everyone's entitled to a defense, no? So here you go, dissect the facts founded on real allegations that you can evidence. Facts that affirm knowledge and information based on actual occurrences in my statments:

> Another reason I hate U2 and their
> fans is because they think everyone should *respect* them. What's to
> respect? They're mainstream. They have tons of money...they're a freakin
> corporation. Plus the fact that they suck. They're the most commercial
> band out there, I don't know how anyone can take them seriously.

Let's not try to get all intellectual on a Morrissey-Solo discussion board, this isn't open mic. night at a Def Poetry session. Lets save those words and thoughts for when you're sitting around thinking of intelligent things to say to impress your friends regarding your profoundness. Nothing that you stated was fact, it was all a matter of opinion, just like everyone else.

You've definately got a vote here. One of the best examples of an over-rated band. I don't even think they're very good musicians. Bono is so unbelievably self-righteous, and those ridiculous sunglasses have got to go. Isn't Moz a fan, though?

Who Likes U2??

Then go to their cool web site

U2 Web Site
U2_CDG_Airport_Corb.jpg

hey everyone, bono wears sunglasses! must mean his music sucks!

disclaimer: the following is my opinion for all those retarded folk out there who think i think i'm spouting facts. you know who you are.

erica: i never said you didnt have a right to your opinion, but you can't deny that little of your criticism had anything to do with the music. why are you acting like i personally attacked you anyway? i didnt. it was a general response to the general sentiment i noticed in the posts and a sentiment that i have noticed in people i know in real life. it was more of a reaction to the things i often hear said about U2 which i think are unfair. it's not all about YOU! amazing, isnt it?

you have a right to your opinion and i have the right to tell you it's stupid if i think it's stupid. you have a right to get upset. freedom of speech is fan-f***ing-tastic. but this is a moot point since i wasn't specifically talking to or about you!

i have as much right as you have to state my opinion and i have the right argue with the opinions of others. if you dont want to argue back, that's fine with me. but this is a discussion board - meaning people say something and other people respond to it. it's a dialectical process for christ's sake. granted it's a dialectical process on a small and rather pathetic level, but that's what it is nonetheless. so don't say things like "no one asked for your opinion" (yes, i know, those werent your exact words, but that's how i interpret your little def poetry comment). why do you post your opinion if you dont want people to respond? or is it that you only want responses if they are in agreement with you?

anyway, if you want a critcism of your post, i'll give you one!

so i reread that stuff from your post. uh, it basically corroborates my point. maybe i'm reading it wrong, but your entire argument is that they are commercial and thus not to be respected. hmmmm....oh and bono wears sunglasses. jesus, i can't take him seriously now! now that i look at your posts more closely, they are even more devoid of merit than i had previously believed. U2's music "isn't that great." very descriptive! so insightful! "morrissey is 100 times better musically and lyrically." well, i can't argue with you there, but it still doesn't explain why U2 sucks. U2 expects people to respect them. i think most people expect respect. it's another matter whether or not they deserve it, but it still doesn't say a lot about why the music sucks. they have a lot of money. oh well i guess morrissey sucks too then since he isn't exactly wanting for cash.

p.s. i dont know how anyone could take you seriously as you use the word "hella." that's more wannabe trendy than wearing sunglasses. anyway, now that i've really given you something to bitch about, you can come back and tell me how wrong i am (as though i care) or you can just go back to listening to some hella cool avril lavigne now.

> First of all Mindy, don't ever say that I or the things I say are
> "bitchy" or "retarded." Unfortunately, you don't know
> me, so you can't categorize me in the group of people that you can't stand
> who think that just because something is popular it must suck. The light
> usage in your words will not win you any respect, in fact, the lack of
> knowledge in your response leaves much to be desired. It's so unfortunate
> that people like you resort to making uninformed comments on an internet
> discussion board. I was extremely informed about what I said, and
> regardless, it was *my* comment. I don't plan on writing a book on how
> much I despise U2 (although I certainly could, based on what's fact and of
> relevance to me). I gave plenty of reasons as to why U2 sucks. Needless to
> say, my thoughts and opinions are once again, relevant to only me.

> This message board is only about personal opinions. Nothing can be taken
> as fact. Therefore, your first sentence is unnecessary, "just because
> a band is mainstream doesnt mean it sucks." Nobody said that due to
> the fact that U2 is mainstream they suck. In my opinion, they suck because
> they suck...nothing more, nothing less. They always have and always will.
> You're an extremist. You took a *matter of opinion* comment and attempted
> to make it a debate, when nowhere in the comment were there blatant
> statements supporting your first sentence. I can't wait to see what you'll
> come up with in response hereof. Everyone's entitled to a defense, no? So
> here you go, dissect the facts founded on real allegations that you can
> evidence. Facts that affirm knowledge and information based on actual
> occurrences in my statments:

> Let's not try to get all intellectual on a Morrissey-Solo discussion
> board, this isn't open mic. night at a Def Poetry session. Lets save those
> words and thoughts for when you're sitting around thinking of intelligent
> things to say to impress your friends regarding your profoundness. Nothing
> that you stated was fact, it was all a matter of opinion, just like