"I'm Not A Man" = Brilliant Lyrics, Quintessential Morrissey

Vegan

The lyrics to this song are just the essence of who Morrissey is. He's something better than a stereotypical man. I'm sure many of you feel this way but I swear Morrissey writes exactly what I'm thinking most of the time. This explains why some fans adore him. I'm not the gushing fan kinda person. I hate that crap. I don't need to meet the man. I don't need him to even know I exist. I'm just saying the man is brilliant and ahead of his time (as all vegans are).

The lyrics to this song are just the essence of who Morrissey is. He's something better than a stereotypical man. I'm sure many of you feel this way but I swear Morrissey writes exactly what I'm thinking most of the time. This explains why some fans adore him. I'm not the gushing fan kinda person. I hate that crap. I don't need to meet the man. I don't need him to even know I exist. I'm just saying the man is brilliant and ahead of his time (as all vegans are).

it was certainly a highlight as was mountjoy imo which i also think echos your sentiment

actually, he started to write a song called 'I'maman' then realized that one was already done,so.....

is that bowie writing about his wife lol

yeah its mine as well though that whole album was great

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly one of the best songs - and lyrics - on the last album, though I can't help but feel it runs out of steam in the last few lines.

Certainly one of the best songs - and lyrics - on the last album, though I can't help but feel it runs out of steam in the last few lines.

You must be an animal abuser/killer aka "meat egg and dairy eater, animal skin wearer" (yes they are synonymous) because those are the best lines:

I'm not a man
I'd never kill or eat an animal
And I never would destroy this planet I'm on
Well, what do you think I am?
A man?

I love the way the band builds tension with this song, eventually erupting into the sweeping, majestic grandeur of the final minute or so, as Morrissey becomes more angry and defiant. I especially love the Alan Vega-esque shrieking as the song closes. Lyrically, it has a great deal in common with the 1972 poem "I'm Not a Man" by Harold Norse, which can be read here. It isn't one of my favorite Morrissey "message songs," or close to what I'd consider the strongest lyrical offering on the album, but I do enjoy it.

Last edited:
I don't like it.

It's pretentious. It's out of date by about forty years.

It's got to be my least favourite Morrissey song.

Last edited:
And indeed, I see that the poem that Morrissey heavily based the song on was from 1972.

Yawn.

I love the way the band builds tension with this song, eventually erupting into the sweeping, majestic grandeur of the final minute or so, as Morrissey becomes more angry and defiant. I especially love the Alan Vega-esque shrieking as the song closes. Lyrically, it has a great deal in common with the 1972 poem "I'm Not a Man" by Harold Norse, which can be read here. It isn't one of my favorite Morrissey "message songs," or close to what I'd consider the strongest lyrical offering on the album, but I do enjoy it.

agree. the first bump coming with the so much bigger and better than line. makes my blood rise

I don't like it.

It's pretentious. It's out of date by about forty years.

It's got to be my least favourite Morrissey song.

Your taste/opinion is incorrect :p But seriously name me five of your your faves iffin ya please,

Back
Top Bottom