Sailor backdrop from 2009 tour inquiry - @RobertAtherto12

Tweets from @RobertAtherto12 / Twitter:

who can I talk with about something to with the tour of 2009... it is more than the the tour... well copy right has been .broken with the .backdrop that was used...I have the negative s of the foto shoot, get back to me

robertatherto12.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I saw Morrissey live, two of the backdrops I remember were Bruce Lee giving a peace sign and a portrait of Dick Gregory (who's a huge proponent of water fasting by the way). It was cool, but neither
photo made the performance any better. This guy gets more promotion in saying Morrissey used his photo as a backdrop then Morrissey gets in using it. Does Morrissey have to pay the slaughterhouse for using
the video during Meat Is Murder?

I was thinking about that. After so many years he should know he can't make a legal claim. He's looking for promotion.

Yes - Morrissey stole the image for the backdrop, but unlike the Derek Ridgers case, I don't recall them selling any T-shirts, mugs, etc with this image on at the merch booth during the tour. So, it would be hard to prove Morrissey actually made any money out of it - though one would still expect a courtesy payment for using someone's photo without permission.

But, we live in an internet world now, where copyright is ignored on a daily basis, as people just Google Image search and nick anything they like the look of. Does Morrissey have permission from the copyright holders for all those manipulated Sam Esty Rayner monstrosities that are posted online every week? Do all the musicians (New York Dolls, etc etc) he plays on his intro videos before his shows earn a penny for the public performance of their work? Of course not.

I'm not saying it's right, but this is the world we find ourselves in.

It is possible that the way Morrissey used it would qualify as fair use. It's different than the other example where there was a contract and the contract was broken and ignored. But Morrissey is, or used to be, a professional entertainer, and some effort should have been made to ask permission and give credit. That is the standard with Creative Commons licensing. You can choose to allow your work to be used if you are credited and no profit is made. Some sort of payment would have been the right thing to do, but we're talking about Morrissey, so forget that.
To sum up, the photographer may not have anything coming to him, if it's fair use, but some common respect between artists and human beings would be nice. Maybe in the next world.

Last edited:
the book has copyright and tell everone about the copyright.and all the copyright legel papers.from the making over here..a person was selling tees shrits on e-bay an in london..a lawyer Rollingsons put a stop to it, now they have been selling from 2009..you know i just didnt take a foto and put it online or facebook, it work for me..

well thanks

i hope something like will not happen to you or kids....i would think u people would know better

What is your book called and where is it available? Maybe you will sell a few copies. Great work. Best of luck to you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom