2016 Canadian Tour

Layne

Surprisingly, Morrissey has indicated some tentative dates for a Canadian tour, his first since his boycott in 2006, including an intimate date in Charlottetown, where arch-rival Gail Shea, former minister of fisheries, was defeated in her riding in the recent election.

Additional dates have been added to the original list.

Apparently there is hope after all. The Conservative government lost the federal election late last year, and this month, Justin Trudeau officially takes office, bringing change, and Morrissey is apparently looking to enthusiastically be a part of it, specifically in regard to improving animal welfare.

Canadian tour dates added:

Victoria -- May 6
Vancouver -- May 7
Calgary -- May 10
Regina -- May 11
Winnipeg -- May 13
London -- May 14
Niagara Falls -- May 16
Toronto -- May 18
Toronto -- May 20
Ottawa -- May 21
Montreal -- May 22
Montreal -- May 24
Halifax -- May 25
Charlottetown -- May 27 (Gail Shea attending?)

Additionally:

TV performance on CBC (to be recorded in the Toronto studio, airing late May-early June)

How do you think he will be received, 10 years removed?

On the surface I have no reason to doubt you and your sources. Truthfully I figured eventually he would lift his self-imposed ban, if for no other reason than touring Canada would be lucrative and certainly more comfortable than some of the far-off places recently announced. He could easily justify himself by saying the change of regime makes now a great time for a teachable moment, blah blah blah.

And the history of your posts on this website do not seem to indicate you are a loon who would spend time just making stuff up.

But all that said, could you provide a bit more information about how you have received this early information?

It's not financially prudent for Morrissey to boycott more than one country at a time. At the moment he is boycotting the UK, over not having a record deal - this means that Canada is off the hook and there to pick up the lost revenue.

Some people got dog's abuse for suggesting he's playing places where a dollar can be made. I recall a post by user Viva Hate who suggested that Morrissey will bend his own principles to breaking point if there is money to be had. If this is true - IF - then it's a shameful abrogation of principle in a country he has derided many times for the seal cull on TTY, and with no change in that situation - and IF - this is true then he is nothing more than a money-grabbing hypocrite.

I look forward to the Mozbots attempt defending this position if it is true. Probably something along the lines of "how will you change anything if you're not there protesting", "Can't someone change their position?", "The government has changed", etc, etc...and I also expect abuse from the usual suspects for having the temerity to point this out. I expect a post along the lines of "This hasn't even been confirmed, and here you are diving in...". Correct. None of this has been confirmed. Nothing. Will they similarly condemn the money-grabbing hypocrisy if it turns out to be true? Somehow I doubt it.

IF this is true. If and only if.

Last edited:
Some people got dog's abuse for suggesting he's playing places where a dollar can be made. I recall a post by user Viva Hate who suggested that Morrissey will bend his own principles to breaking point if there is money to be had. If this is true - IF - then it's a shameful abrogation of principle in a country he has derided many times for the seal cull on TTY, and with no change in that situation - and IF - this is true then he is nothing more than a money-grabbing hypocrite.

I look forward to the Mozbots attempt defending this position if it is true. Probably something along the lines of "how will you change anything if you're not there protesting", "Can't someone change their position?", "The government has changed", etc, etc...and I also expect abuse from the usual suspects for having the temerity to point this out. I expect a post along the lines of "This hasn't even been confirmed, and here you are diving in...". Correct. None of this has been confirmed. Nothing. Will they similarly condemn the money-grabbing hypocrisy if it turns out to be true? Somehow I doubt it.

IF this is true. If and only if.

There is abuse everywhere. EVERYWHERE he plays, you could easily and legitimately find some scenario or other involving a status quo acceptance of animal abuse, or perceived injustice. Does not stop him. So honestly, whether the Canada thing transpires or not, he is still a hypocrite in my book.

Just my luck, I'm going to Torronto on May 27th.... Bugger!

Wonder if I could get tix for the TV thing?

Will keep my eye on this thread.

Dave

I second Harsh Truth's request. Where exactly did Morrissey indicate he would finally be touring Canada again?

There is abuse everywhere. EVERYWHERE he plays, you could easily and legitimately find some scenario or other involving a status quo acceptance of animal abuse, or perceived injustice. Does not stop him. So honestly, whether the Canada thing transpires or not, he is still a hypocrite in my book.
This. Frankly, while Peter makes a good point, it's not like arbitrarily deciding to tour Canada again after so many years makes him more of a hypocrite than he already is on this issue. He comes off looking pretty bad either way. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

That said, I hope this rumor turns out to be legitimate. I imagine it would make many Canadian fans very happy.

This is a complete fabrication. There are no plans for Morrissey to play in Canada

This is a complete fabrication. There are no plans for Morrissey to play in Canada
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. The more I think about it, the more this seems like a wind-up.

With so many dates booked so closely together, including back-to-back dates in the same city, it seems off. It's not very consistent with his recent tour scheduling. Granted, he hasn't played Canada in years so it's possible two-date residencies are planned due to expectation of high demand for tickets if true.

Furthermore, I cannot find any confirmation of any of these dates online, including the CBC performance, which is suspect. I guess it's possible that Derek17 could somehow have inside knowledge on a planned Canadian tour, including a list of tour dates and television appearances, but the lack of supporting evidence and no explanation whatsoever from the sole source makes this a dubious claim.

That said, I'd like to be wrong. Canadian shows are long overdue.

Incorrect.

It would be nearly impossible to get from Winnipeg to London overnight.

The guy that posted this, is the same guy that freaked out when Morrissey posted his last statement about Gail Shea losing her seat. Don't believe a word of this. He went on and on and on about why Moz should play here instead of boycotting Canada. He's just stirring the pot.

It would be nearly impossible to get from Winnipeg to London overnight.

Don't get your heartrate skyrocket. It's utter claptrap and balderdash. Nothing is happening in Canada. IF he ever tour Canada, he would be advised to skip the prairies. There is nothing there besides mosquitos (July) and a chance of freezing your ass off (the rest of the year).

Surprisingly, Morrissey has indicated some tentative dates for a Canadian tour, his first since his boycott in 2006, including an intimate date in Charlottetown, where arch-rival Gail Shea, former minister of fisheries, was defeated in her riding in the recent election.

Additional dates have been added to the original list.

Apparently there is hope after all. The Conservative government lost the federal election late last year, and this month, Justin Trudeau officially takes office, bringing change, and Morrissey is apparently looking to enthusiastically be a part of it, specifically in regard to improving animal welfare.

Canadian tour dates added:

Victoria -- May 6
Vancouver -- May 7
Calgary -- May 10
Regina -- May 11
Winnipeg -- May 13
London -- May 14
Niagara Falls -- May 16
Toronto -- May 18
Toronto -- May 20
Ottawa -- May 21
Montreal -- May 22
Montreal -- May 24
Halifax -- May 25
Charlottetown -- May 27 (Gail Shea attending?)

Additionally:

TV performance on CBC (to be recorded in the Toronto studio, airing late May-early June)

How do you think he will be received, 10 years removed?

Major artists play only Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and Vancouver. That's it.

Major artists play only Toronto, Montreal, Quebec and Vancouver. That's it.

With Morrissey, who knows? He plays places like Flint, MI so why not Halifax or Winnipeg?

The Smiths rehearsed for five days (and played a show) in London, ON to prepare for their final North American tour in 1986.

I say this even though I doubt the tour is true. The only way the Winnipeg to London trip makes sense is by air.

With Morrissey, who knows? He plays places like Flint, MI...

Did he ever actually end up playing Flint? I know he was scheduled to 3-4 times.

Don't drink the water there, i hear.

Back
Top Bottom