bowie tribute thread

A

Anonymous

surprised no of the much bigger fans havent done this yet but ill start a bowie tribute thread so people cant post his stuff being songs videos interviews etc to praise or deride but please try and refrain from being childishly mean. if theres an r.e.m. mini fan forim here and a cure honor thread why a bowie tribute memorial thread. and so it goes...

A few days ago, an engineer who worked on the Absolute Beginners soundtrack with Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley uploaded a studio outtake of Bowie doing various impressions of other musical luminaries. It is amazing. His Lou is spot-on and the Springsteen and Iggy bits have me laughing my ass off.

I recognize Springsteen, Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Neil Young, but I'm not sure of the others. There's a couple that sound like they could be either Tom Petty or Marc Bolan.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few days ago, an engineer who worked on the Absolute Beginners soundtrack with Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley uploaded a studio outtake of Bowie doing various impressions of other musical luminaries. It is amazing. His Lou is spot-on and the Springsteen and Iggy bits have me laughing my ass off.

I recognize Springsteen, Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Neil Young, but I'm not sure of the others. There's a couple that sound like they could be either Tom Petty or Marc Bolan.

The second impression is Bolan. It's got to be. Thank you for sharing this. Left me wiping away tears from laughter and sadness. Bittersweet.

0:00 Bruce Springsteen
0:50 Marc Bolan
1:40 Tom Waits
2:30 Lou Reed
3:20 Anthony Newley
4:20 Iggy Pop
5:15 Neil Young

i always thought the white light tour was one of the bravest things he ever did as a performer. that took some guts

This is the version from the movie. The uncut version where he turns into a gust of fire and smoke isn't on Youtube. Maybe I will get around to ripping it. But this is pretty great.

^That's a great cover. Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to Blackstar for the first few weeks after he died. I finally dug into it again last week and apart from the obvious (it's a commentary on coming to grips with mortality, etc. etc.), what really strikes me about it is how it seems to bookend his earlier life.

Bowie was very self-referential. The cover art of 'Hours...' has him cradling the dead body of '97 Bowie (a concept he later revisited for the "Love Is Lost" video and corresponding photo shoot), on Lodger we've got two songs with the same chord progression but radically different arrangements ("Fantastic Voyage" and "Boys Keep Swinging") and another song that inverts the chorus of "All the Young Dudes" ("Move On"). Then of course there's the Major Tom saga of "Space Oddity"/"Ashes to Ashes"/"Hallo Spaceboy." He took self-reference to a literal level in "Teenage Wildlife" where he actually refers to himself by name in the song ("You'll take me aside and say, 'Well, David, what shall I do? They wait for me in the hallway!' and I'll say, 'Don't ask me, I don't know any hallways."). And so on and so forth.

So, it didn't come as much of a surprise to hear echoes of "A New Career in a New Town" in "I Can't Give Everything Away". In fact, it was comforting, and I love hearing him play harmonica again. But what I didn't expect were the reference points to his early life. The album was recorded with a jazz quartet, and so unsurprisingly, it has a very pervasive jazz element. I can't say for sure whether this was intentional or not (being that this is Bowie, it probably was) but it seems like a deliberate (perhaps even a bittersweetly nostalgic) return to his roots. He picked up the saxophone as a kid when he heard Little Richard, but his love for the instrument was really bolstered by his older brother Terry introducing him to jazz, and although he developed a lifelong love of the genre, he didn't bring that influence into his music much until, suddenly, Blackstar.

Additionally, the lyrics to "Girl Loves Me" are a combination of Nadsat (the language of the droogies in A Clockwork Orange, a book that influenced Bowie early on and has been referenced previously in his work) and Polari, the gay slang that Bowie probably would have heard as a young man running in London's gay circles of the mid-to-late 60s.

We now know that he was hoping to release more music after Blackstar, but it is clear death was still very much on his mind as he was recording the album, as his fight with cancer was ongoing. It wouldn't be farfetched to guess that he probably started reflecting on his life, and perhaps wanted to draw from earlier influences for which he still felt a fondness.

Last edited:
Additionally, the lyrics to "Girl Loves Me" are a combination of Nadsat (the language of the droogies in A Clockwork Orange, a book that influenced Bowie early on and has been referenced previously in his work) and Polari, the gay slang that Bowie probably would have heard as a young man running in London's gay circles of the mid-to-late 60s.

Oh droogie don't crash here. There's only room for one, and here she comes.

Awhile back, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I was going through a Bowie phase and decided to track down as many of his non-album tracks as I could. I got a fair number of them, from various sources...in varying degrees of sound quality, bit rate, etc. I grouped them, roughly, in chronological folders with the best awareness I had of the tracks sans research, and earmarked it as a project to go back to more comprehensively at some point. Well, until recently, I never did.

After he died I went back into another big Bowie phase; and really pushed myself to explore the periods of his career I wasn't too familiar with...a mission I'm still completing. But part of this process involved going back to those old rarity folders I compiled and sorting through them, this time in earnest.

Using the excellent Bowie fanblog Pushing Ahead Of The Dame as a primary resource whenever I could, I sifted through all of the tracks one by one and first tried to weed out anything that's been officially released...to that end, nothing in this playlist as far as I know has ever appeared as a Ryko bonus track on any of the album reissues or on any official comps like Rarest One Bowie, or The Deram Anthology, or the Recall discs from the Five Years box, etc.

Additionally, I took out anything that appears in the multi-volume bootleg The Complete BBC Performances...(which I also have, in FLAC, and will try to convert to 320 and tag and upload at some point, if time allows.)

So what I was left with were 43 tracks from (roughly) the mid 60s through the late 70s. I do not claim to have these all in exact, anal chronological order..for instance, the last song, I'm Divine, is a Young Americans outtake and belongs a few spots up in the track sequencing rather than at the end. But having said that, this stuff is fairly chronological.

So, here you go.

PS...there is one song, Rupert The Riley, which I think is from the Arnold Corns sessions, which Bowie wrote and plays on but does not -according to what I read; haven't listened to everything on here yet- sing. There are two takes of it here. Included anyway for completism, I suppose.

Also, I tried my best to add at least a rudimentary parenthetical clarification in the title of any song which also appears on an album, so as to differentiate between the rare version and the officially released one.

David Bowie_Genuine Rarities 66-79

Bowie_GR_1.jpg

Bowie_GR_2.jpg

Download

Awhile back, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I was going through a Bowie phase and decided to track down as many of his non-album tracks as I could. I got a fair number of them, from various sources...in varying degrees of sound quality, bit rate, etc. I grouped them, roughly, in chronological folders with the best awareness I had of the tracks sans research, and earmarked it as a project to go back to more comprehensively at some point. Well, until recently, I never did.

After he died I went back into another big Bowie phase; and really pushed myself to explore the periods of his career I wasn't too familiar with...a mission I'm still completing. But part of this process involved going back to those old rarity folders I compiled and sorting through them, this time in earnest.

Using the excellent Bowie fanblog Pushing Ahead Of The Dame as a primary resource whenever I could, I sifted through all of the tracks one by one and first tried to weed out anything that's been officially released...to that end, nothing in this playlist as far as I know has ever appeared as a Ryko bonus track on any of the album reissues or on any official comps like Rarest One Bowie, or The Deram Anthology, or the Recall discs from the Five Years box, etc.

Additionally, I took out anything that appears in the multi-volume bootleg The Complete BBC Performances...(which I also have, in FLAC, and will try to convert to 320 and tag and upload at some point, if time allows.)

So what I was left with were 43 tracks from (roughly) the mid 60s through the late 70s. I do not claim to have these all in exact, anal chronological order..for instance, the last song, I'm Divine, is a Young Americans outtake and belongs a few spots up in the track sequencing rather than at the end. But having said that, this stuff is fairly chronological.

So, here you go.

PS...there is one song, Rupert The Riley, which I think is from the Arnold Corns sessions, which Bowie wrote and plays on but does not -according to what I read; haven't listened to everything on here yet- sing. There are two takes of it here. Included anyway for completism, I suppose.

Also, I tried my best to add at least a rudimentary parenthetical clarification in the title of any song which also appears on an album, so as to differentiate between the rare version and the officially released one.

David Bowie_Genuine Rarities 66-79

Bowie_GR_1.jpg

Bowie_GR_2.jpg

Download
Thank you for this.
I was just updating my collection to include bits of Bowie I'd not caught up with myself (even Tin Machine!), so this couldn't have come at a better time.
Appreciated,
FWD

Back
Top Bottom