Morrissey's image and quote being used by BNP on Facebook

Sad that we made it about you, but it does serve to illustrate that it's not possible to make the point you were attempting. I think it was worth the time to explore a few different viewpoints, and I genuinely appreciate your efforts as well. I was hoping someone could convince me otherwise. I feel like I have overlooked the obvious for years.

No one could convince you of anything otherwise because you already have your mind set. This whole thing has been about you, actually, sorry to say.

No one could convince you of anything otherwise because you already have your mind set. This whole thing has been about you, actually, sorry to say.

No. The topic is that a quote by Morrissey can be used by a right wing, racist organization, with no modification. If you have something to say on topic they haven't locked the thread yet.

No. The topic is that a quote by Morrissey can be used by a right wing, racist organization, with no modification. If you have something to say on topic they haven't locked the thread yet.

The topic within the topic, then. The one where you and a few others go round and around asking for someone, anyone, to justify the quote and certain song lyrics to prove that Morrissey isn't a racist. Which no one can prove because you're not open to suggestions. You believe he is, and so he shall remain.

You know what? I don't care anymore.

The topic within the topic, then. The one where you and a few others go round and around asking for someone, anyone, to justify the quote and certain song lyrics to prove that Morrissey isn't a racist. Which no one can prove because you're not open to suggestions. You believe he is, and so he shall remain.

You know what? I don't care anymore.

That is indeed what it comes down to. It seems as if these people are projecting. As I said above, it just amounts to a pointless, circular, non-progressive discussion (I use the term "discussion" loosely).

At any rate, as I mentioned above, we are all human, and so is Morrissey. There is no need for some people to sit on their high horses, proclaiming others as "racist" and implying that they themselves are some kind of moral ideal. By proclaiming oneself a moral ideal, one is only idealizing oneself.

As a human, I am glad Morrissey isn't one of those people who shies away from opining in cases where the mob could start labeling him a "racist" (or anything else). The irony is that the political hysterics that throw around the word do so in what appears to be an insecure, ultra-defensive fashion that is closed to discussion and is plagued by intolerance -- which is rather ironic and quite frankly, fascistesque.

When one closes oneself to other interpretations of reality, one is only realizing the interpretation of oneself.

Last edited:

The KKK could also take quotes by Barack Obama and fit them to their agenda.

When you twist words, the words are only in fact twisting you.

That is indeed what it comes down to. It seems as if these people are projecting. As I said above, it just amounts to a pointless, circular, non-progressive discussion (I use the term "discussion" loosely).

At any rate, as I mentioned above, we are all human, and so is Morrissey. There is no need for some people to sit on their high horses, proclaiming others as "racist" and implying that they themselves are some kind of moral ideal. By proclaiming oneself a moral ideal, one is only idealizing oneself.

As a human, I am glad Morrissey isn't one of those people who shies away from opining in cases where the mob could start labeling him a "racist" (or anything else). The irony is that the political hysterics that throw around the word do so in what appears to be an insecure, ultra-defensive fashion that is closed to discussion and is plagued by intolerance -- which is rather ironic and quite frankly, fascistesque.

When one closes oneself to other interpretations of reality, one is only realizing the interpretation of oneself.

The KKK could also take quotes by Barack Obama and fit them to their agenda.

When you twist words, the words are only in fact twisting you.

Well said. And again, thank you, Derek.

only if the kkk ers were mozbots.

If I said "I think those people are sick and should all be shot" in reference to gang-rapists at a criminal trial, and the BNP took my quote out of context and splayed it across the image of a poor looking black man, would that not in fact be exactly what the BNP did with Morrissey's words?

Regardless of what they were originally intended to convey, they were taken out of context by another party and fitted into that other party's agenda, with no input from the author.

And if a fight broke out here tonight
You'd be the first away, because you're that type

Last edited:
If I said "I think those people are sick and should all be shot" in reference to gang-rapists at a criminal trial, and the BNP took my quote out of context and splayed it across the image of a poor looking black man, would that not in fact be exactly what the BNP did with Morrissey's words?

Regardless of what they were originally intended to convey, they were taken out of context by another party and fitted into that other party's agenda, with no input from the author.

And if a fight broke out here tonight
You'd be the first away, because you're that type

Why come back to this with some hypothetical? The words were not taken out of context. The meaning they were originally intended to convey might not matter to you, so why argue about it? If matters to others. Your suggestion that one needs permission from the author in order to use a quote would mean that no one could ever quote Aristotle, Shakespeare, and so on, once they were dead. It's ridiculous, like your entire argument here where you claim to be black and gay at the end. I hope you are just trolling.

Why come back to this with some hypothetical? The words were not taken out of context. The meaning they were originally intended to convey might not matter to you, so why argue about it? If matters to others. Your suggestion that one needs permission from the author in order to use a quote would mean that no one could ever quote Aristotle, Shakespeare, and so on, once they were dead. It's ridiculous, like your entire argument here where you claim to be black and gay at the end. I hope you are just trolling.

My point is not that a writer needs an author's permission to use a quote lol. My point is that the onus is on he reader to think about the quote in relation to context and not draw conclusions about the author based on the other party who chose to quote the author in order to represent something the author never intended to. So you cannot conclude defamatory things about Morrissey because the BNP used something he wrote.

Refrain from this libel or I will contact Morrissey's lawyers (and my own, for that matter).

So you cannot conclude defamatory things about Morrissey because the BNP used something he wrote.

Well, they will only be defamatory if they are not true, and Morrissey has already ducked out of having that tested in court.

What can be concluded fairly reliably, though, it that Moz sometimes says the sorts of things about race and identity that the BNP feel reflect their worldview.

Well, they will only be defamatory if they are not true, and Morrissey has already ducked out of having that tested in court.

What can be concluded fairly reliably, though, it that Moz sometimes says the sorts of things about race and identity that the BNP feel reflect their worldview.

And plenty of rappers rap about using "bitches" as sex tools, however that does not mean that they would condone an actual rape.

Morrissey has offered his philosophical views; that is not under dispute. But does he wish to take the same actions as the BNP? Unequivocally, no. Hence the contextual disconnect I referred to above.

- - - Updated - - -

lol you are so delusional omg

So what do you have to offer, then?

My point is not that a writer needs an author's permission to use a quote lol. My point is that the onus is on he reader to think about the quote in relation to context and not draw conclusions about the author based on the other party who chose to quote the author in order to represent something the author never intended to. So you cannot conclude defamatory things about Morrissey because the BNP used something he wrote.

Refrain from this libel or I will contact Morrissey's lawyers (and my own, for that matter).

I don't need the BNP to use the quote to make any conclusions. The point is that the quote stands on it's own and the meaning is clear in either context. But you are either trolling or you're a racist apologist. Either way, your arguments are poor unless they are intended to provoke anger, in which case, you got me.

Of course Morrissey is a racist. My goodness, he said the Chinese are a "subspecies". There are decades of quotes that reveal his racist soul.

And plenty of rappers rap about using "bitches" as sex tools, however that does not mean that they would condone an actual rape.

Morrissey has offered his philosophical views; that is not under dispute. But does he wish to take the same actions as the BNP? Unequivocally, no. Hence the contextual disconnect I referred to above.

- - - Updated - - -

It's really unclear what you are trying to argue. It seems like "Sure, Moz says some racist things, but he's never committed any racist violence or stood for the European parliament, so how how can he be racist?"

It's really unclear what you are trying to argue. It seems like "Sure, Moz says some racist things, but he's never committed any racist violence or stood for the European parliament, so how how can he be racist?"

You forget that we are not debating whether Morrissey is racist or not, which would be pointless because the word "racist" has been rendered entirely meaningless nowadays.

What we are discussing is the fact that Morrissey's quote was used out of context, which is a fact, whether you differentiate the two contexts significantly or not.

I am assuming you and the other folks harping on "racism" are left-leaning fools, which would explain your closed-mindedness. It is a great irony of modern society that those who preach change as superior minded beings and call anyone and everyone racist and sexist are, in fact, totally unwilling to discuss, use reason, or be swayed by the opinions of others because they somehow already know that anyone who does not agree entirely with their politically hysteric agenda must be an evil white male, which means, naturally, that they are also terrible people.

You forget that we are not debating whether Morrissey is racist or not, which would be pointless because the word "racist" has been rendered entirely meaningless nowadays.

What we are discussing is the fact that Morrissey's quote was used out of context, which is a fact, whether you differentiate the two contexts significantly or not.

I am assuming you and the other folks harping on "racism" are left-leaning fools, which would explain your closed-mindedness. It is a great irony of modern society that those who preach change as superior minded beings and call anyone and everyone racist and sexist are, in fact, totally unwilling to discuss, use reason, or be swayed by the opinions of others because they somehow already know that anyone who does not agree entirely with their politically hysteric agenda must be an evil white male, which means, naturally, that they are also terrible people.

No, that is not what "we" are discussing. To you it seems to matter that the quote was used "out of context" but I don't think you even know what that means. For the quote to be used out of context it would have to be part of a larger statement which modifies the meaning of the smaller quote.
You are accusing people of refusing to use reason but you fall back on stock rhetoric.

If you don't agree with the BNP then you should consider what it means that some of his views overlap with theirs and question what that means. If you do agree with BNP you shouldn't have a problem that you and Morrissey share some of their views.

Back
Top Bottom