Chick rock compilation

S

Skylarker

...made this over the course of about two weeks while scouring the internet for new stuff to listen to. I don't really like to segregate and use terms like "chick rock" but just saying this comp is distinguished by the fact that it consists solely of female groups or female-fronted groups. I don't feel like there's a lot happening in rock these days with guys; most of 'em sound pretty samey and like the lead singer is doing a Bobby Hill impersonation. There's a few great exceptions I've found but anyway this stuff, I think, is pretty great...chicks are where it's at in Rock right now, if you ask me.

Most of this stuff is in the power-pop/pop-punk/90s-alt-rock-pastiche vein, with some exceptions. I have to say that while I threw on a few newer songs by artists who have been around for awhile, MOST of these bands singers are ones I did not know of and who I assume have not been around too long.

I'm not claiming all this stuff is hot off the press, just that it is new-ish, or is new to me, a fat 40 year old bald guy looking for new tunes.

If you enjoy it too, that's cool.

Girl Groups 205 Fall Sampler
playlist.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...made this over the course of about two weeks while scouring the internet for new stuff to listen to. I don't really like to segregate and use terms like "chick rock" but just saying this comp is distinguished by the fact that it consists solely of female groups or female-fronted groups. I don't feel like there's a lot happening in rock these days with guys; most of 'em sound pretty samey and like the lead singer is doing a Bobby Hill impersonation. There's a few great exceptions I've found but anyway this stuff, I think, is pretty great...chicks are where it's at in Rock right now, if you ask me.

Most of this stuff is in the power-pop/pop-punk/90s-alt-rock-pastiche vein, with some exceptions. I have to say that while I threw on a few newer songs by artists who have been around for awhile, MOST of these bands singers are ones I did not know of and who I assume have not been around too long.

I'm not claiming all this stuff is hot off the press, just that it is new-ish, or is new to me, a fat 40 year old bald guy looking for new tunes.

If you enjoy it too, that's cool.

No wonder you don't like Morrissey, your taste in music is shit. I listened to 5 songs and all of them sounded like failed Breeders auditions. Garbage. Get help. Chicks rarely can rock. Have you heard this song before? http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUZ6nCFNoU

try this out. not exactly the dum dum dum girls or pussy riot in terms of rock but a guitar and drum bass shoegaze kinda act fronted act fronted by a sweet female voice. also for a fun pop rock record in the classic tradition the first damone album kicks ass. only the first album though. kinda like the donnas

REALLY great playlist, thanks for putting this together and sharing.

If I may make a recommendation, you might dig Chelsea Wolfe.

Isn't that the new suede record. Yeah its pretty nice for garage punk rock female fronted girl bands. I know about half the list but havmt listened yet to the rest. Perhaps tomorrow. I really liked vivia. Girls for a bit

I'm sure it was merely a spelling error..but number one is Ex Hex not Ex Rex..led my Mary Timony..and my favorite album of last year :guitar:

I'm sure it was merely a spelling error..but number one is Ex Hex not Ex Rex..led my Mary Timony..and my favorite album of last year :guitar:

No, it was not a typo. I had the group's name wrong. Thanks for the correction!

- - - Updated - - -

I am very glad you enjoy it, and thanks for the new suggestions.

try out an act called dyke drama if you can find it. they just formed and put out an e.p. just recently. its sadie switchblade of gloss's new thing

I love Chelsea Wolfe, she is my crush. She is also very kind, always a plus for any musician. I was practically on my knees ready to propose when I found out she liked Sylvia Plath.

Back
Top Bottom