Lausanne - Le Metropole (Oct. 4, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Speedway / Ganglord / Staircase At The University / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / How Soon Is Now? / Reader Meet Author / The Bullfighter Dies / Oboe Concerto / You Have Killed Me / Meat Is Murder / Yes, I Am Blind / Everyday Is Like Sunday / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / What She Said // The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by Riccardo De Dominicis's / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out Facebook group, link from an anonymous person.

• I'm throwing my arms around Lausanne by David Glaser - Suississimo. Link from David.
  • Morrissey, légende light pour dimanche sage by François Barras - 24heures.ch. Link posted by an anonymous person.
  • Photo posted by terryjak:

lausanne.jpg

Last edited:
he should ??? Regardless of what we think of someones playing style or skill/abilities. It's not gonna change M's mind as to who he hires or not. M must have his reasons... So respect that... And as I wrote before, I'm just glad the MAN is on the stage.

I remember WAY back months of watching Hulmerist on repeat wishing hoping that he'll take the stage again...Didn't care who the backing band was. And you must admit (as they have) the 'kill Uncle' band at first...not so hot. But by 'Your Arsenal' they could NOT be beat. GOOD MOURNING AND THANK YOU.

The Kill Uncle lineup was really shaky at first. Yes. But they improved, and quickly. I haven't seen that out of Jesse Tobias. Every other member of the band excels at what they do. Gustavo? That man is worth his weight in gold. But Hmmm. Who doesn't switch instruments during Speedway?

That is a notion I do not subscribe to. Sure, it's great to see Morrissey. It's better to see him backed up by musicians who can actually do the songs justice and concentrate on playing rather than perfecting a good power stance and O face. Tunnel vision vs larger picture? It's this kind of goofy idle worship wherein everything that Morrissey does is expected to be free from critique that strikes me as tunnel vision.
No need to project on my sexual or criminal doings, either. I can assure you, any needs I have in those categories are being met.

I'm glad your needs are being met. If Morrissey had the best musicians in the world backing him, it would sound about the same, perhaps worse?? Vini Reilly wanted to take Morrissey in an avant-garde direction which I personally would've enjoyed but would've been disastrous commercially and might've made Morrissey vanish from public view which would equal LESS Morrissey, I don't subscribe to THAT at ALL. Morrissey is a Poet, a living enigma, his O face and power stance is what we are REALLY looking for, the music is arbitrary. You could accuse me of tunnel vision, but critics are, many times, WRONG. What qualifications, really, do they ever have? None. It is only opinion fueled by hate or love or money (selling papers or magazines), it is not honest dissection or appreciation in most cases. Can you criticize art? No. You really can't, you can only appreciate it or not. You don't appreciate Jesse's playing? OK? Are you just gonna sit home and stew about it? You can call it goofy idle worship, but you're here too. Morrissey affected you, whether you like it or not. No one says he's free from critique, it's just that any criticism is arbitrary and usually pointless as the greater whole of Morrissey far outweighs any short comings. People trashed Kill Uncle when it came out, I get it, but I love that album very much and I also love the "roughed up" live versions of the songs, actually more! The same thing happened back then that happens today, it's the same shit over and over, Boz and Alain are not Johnny, blah blah blah. f*** Johnny. You're repeating history, that's all, Jesse is not Alain, blah blah blah, same old story, I know, but it goes on.

He introduced himself as Hilaire Belloc. This made me think about Belloc's novel The Four Men and it's possible influence on List of the Lost ...

About the novel: "The Four Men" describes four characters, Myself, Grizzlebeard, the Poet and the Sailor, each aspects of Belloc's personality, as they journey in a half-real, half-fictional allegory of life.

I'm glad your needs are being met. If Morrissey had the best musicians in the world backing him, it would sound about the same, perhaps worse?? Vini Reilly wanted to take Morrissey in an avant-garde direction which I personally would've enjoyed but would've been disastrous commercially and might've made Morrissey vanish from public view which would equal LESS Morrissey, I don't subscribe to THAT at ALL. Morrissey is a Poet, a living enigma, his O face and power stance is what we are REALLY looking for, the music is arbitrary. You could accuse me of tunnel vision, but critics are, many times, WRONG. What qualifications, really, do they ever have? None. It is only opinion fueled by hate or love or money (selling papers or magazines), it is not honest dissection or appreciation in most cases. Can you criticize art? No. You really can't, you can only appreciate it or not. You don't appreciate Jesse's playing? OK? Are you just gonna sit home and stew about it? You can call it goofy idle worship, but you're here too. Morrissey affected you, whether you like it or not. No one says he's free from critique, it's just that any criticism is arbitrary and usually pointless as the greater whole of Morrissey far outweighs any short comings. People trashed Kill Uncle when it came out, I get it, but I love that album very much and I also love the "roughed up" live versions of the songs, actually more! The same thing happened back then that happens today, it's the same shit over and over, Boz and Alain are not Johnny, blah blah blah. f*** Johnny. You're repeating history, that's all, Jesse is not Alain, blah blah blah, same old story, I know, but it goes on.

I'm not lamenting a lack of Alain, Johnny, on and on down the line, nor am I stewing. I know very well that debating the merits or lack thereof of any art form is pointless. I can feel slightly sad at a very apparent decline in the quality of backing music of one of my favorite artists though.

Imagine this- one of your favorite restaurants- You go there because you love the ambiance, fresh ingredients, and the startling flavors that make you swoon with every new dish you try. You enjoy the service, and the personality of each of the wait staff, and the chef is a wonder to behold in action in the open kitchen.

Then one day you show up, smiling with anticipation, only to see that the waitstaff has been replaced by surly hipsters in suspenders and skinny pants, who slop your water over the edge of your glass, and sling the plates carelessly upon the table. You forgive that, because you are there for what the chef has created, right?

But instead of a carefully crafted quality dish, there is a T.V. dinner before you, and still half frozen at that. Has the chef given up? Perhaps, but he's realized that he can still make a living without trying, because half of his customers are willing to judge him based on his history, and they say "it isn't so bad after a few bites, try it!"

He introduced himself as Hilaire Belloc. This made me think about Belloc's novel The Four Men and it's possible influence on List of the Lost ...

About the novel: "The Four Men" describes four characters, Myself, Grizzlebeard, the Poet and the Sailor, each aspects of Belloc's personality, as they journey in a half-real, half-fictional allegory of life.

Now you're thinkin'!

Nice, our man leaving a clue for us.

Dear Poet,
Another possibility, not so high brow: have a look at Monty Python, The Mouse problem, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts … and there you have it, at 4'44: Hilaire Belloc !

I'm not lamenting a lack of Alain, Johnny, on and on down the line, nor am I stewing. I know very well that debating the merits or lack thereof of any art form is pointless. I can feel slightly sad at a very apparent decline in the quality of backing music of one of my favorite artists though.

Imagine this- one of your favorite restaurants- You go there because you love the ambiance, fresh ingredients, and the startling flavors that make you swoon with every new dish you try. You enjoy the service, and the personality of each of the wait staff, and the chef is a wonder to behold in action in the open kitchen.

Then one day you show up, smiling with anticipation, only to see that the waitstaff has been replaced by surly hipsters in suspenders and skinny pants, who slop your water over the edge of your glass, and sling the plates carelessly upon the table. You forgive that, because you are there for what the chef has created, right?

But instead of a carefully crafted quality dish, there is a T.V. dinner before you, and still half frozen at that. Has the chef given up? Perhaps, but he's realized that he can still make a living without trying, because half of his customers are willing to judge him based on his history, and they say "it isn't so bad after a few bites, try it!"

Mmm. Well said. But, the Morrissey and band we see now is HARDLY a TV dinner. Of course the rough version of This Charming Man can't touch the original, but I still like it. That's my point, I guess. Of course, your food will never be as good as that one time, things change, life ALWAYS changes, and you don't have to settle for a TV dinner, I think that comparison is bullocks, Morrissey's band and Morrissey are hardly a TV dinner and you know it.

- - - Updated - - -

he should ??? Regardless of what we think of someones playing style or skill/abilities. It's not gonna change M's mind as to who he hires or not. M must have his reasons... So respect that... And as I wrote before, I'm just glad the MAN is on the stage.

I remember WAY back months of watching Hulmerist on repeat wishing hoping that he'll take the stage again...Didn't care who the backing band was. And you must admit (as they have) the 'kill Uncle' band at first...not so hot. But by 'Your Arsenal' they could NOT be beat. GOOD MOURNING AND THANK YOU.

I really do like you. You're hilarious, "Good mourning and thank you..." LOL MAKE MORE POSTS!

- - - Updated - - -

i still have yet to hear any specifics as to what is wrong with the playing. like i said before is ti the timing key tuning incorrect notes or just that he uses a different setup. hard to take any of the complaints seriously unless they can say why

Yup. That's the money shot. Jesse's playing is fine.

Dear Poet,
About his introduction as Hilaire Belloc: Have a look at Monty Python, The Mouse problem, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts … exactly at 4'44.
Not that lyrical, but quite funny still !

An excellent depiction of the decline in the quality of his musical output over the past decade. The last great ripping tune that he had was Irish Blood, English Heart in 2004 with a writing credit to: Morrissey, and Alain Whyte. This one 2:37 song put Morrissey squarely back on the map after years a drift on the musical sea. When I first saw the video for the song I thought he looked great/well dressed and the music was so strong that I didn't even catch all the lyrics at first. Now it's baggie jeans, shiny v-neck shirts and mariachi music. He is coasting with the remainder of his career in the balance. Say what you want about Alain but he writes a damn good pop song.

An excellent depiction of the decline in the quality of his musical output over the past decade. The last great ripping tune that he had was Irish Blood, English Heart in 2004 with a writing credit to: Morrissey, and Alain Whyte. This one 2:37 song put Morrissey squarely back on the map after years a drift on the musical sea. When I first saw the video for the song I thought he looked great/well dressed and the music was so strong that I didn't even catch all the lyrics at first. Now it's baggie jeans, shiny v-neck shirts and mariachi music. He is coasting with the remainder of his career in the balance. Say what you want about Alain but he writes a damn good pop song.

Alain is great, I agree.

About the best thing that could happen to Morrisey is for Sam Etsy Rayner to say "Dear Uncle, I think its time you reach out to that Marr guy"

About the best thing that could happen to Morrisey is for Sam Etsy Rayner to say "Dear Uncle, I think its time you reach out to that Marr guy"

Why? He's doing more than fine as he is, as is the band that he's assembled!

Why? He's doing more than fine as he is, as is the band that he's assembled!

No record label, no sell outs, half his set list is songs nobody has heard of except for the hard core fans.

I know of many, many fellow people in the mid 40ish to mid 50ish age range that would cash out their 401Ks in a heart beat to witness a Smiths / Morrissey & Marr reunion. Its our Lennon & McCarthy.

No record label, no sell outs, half his set list is songs nobody has heard of except for the hard core fans.

I know of many, many fellow people in the mid 40ish to mid 50ish age range that would cash out their 401Ks in a heart beat to witness a Smiths / Morrissey & Marr reunion. Its our Lennon & McCarthy.

I think you mean our (Vladimir) Lenin and (Joseph) McCarthy ;)

I agree, but moz fan's are as proud and arrogant as the man himself and they will never give Johnny aka hi best collaborator ever and the one with whom Moz will go down in history the credit he deserves. Alain was good, and i don't mind Jesse tbh, but lbr most of the smiths fans and the most casual fans wants to see a moz/marr reunion (cue the no Johnny is a flop, moz solo carrer is better than the smiths bs, because we all know tha's a lie)

I agree, but moz fan's are as proud and arrogant as the man himself and they will never give Johnny aka hi best collaborator ever and the one with whom Moz will go down in history the credit he deserves. Alain was good, and i don't mind Jesse tbh, but lbr most of the smiths fans and the most casual fans wants to see a moz/marr reunion (cue the no Johnny is a flop, moz solo carrer is better than the smiths bs, because we all know tha's a lie)

Honestly, I wouldn't say the Smiths were better than Moz solo. The Smiths were great, but Morrissey's voice developed quite nicely over the years, and he was much less prone to vocal histrionics as time went on. Tell me you listen to all 52 minutes of shrieking contained within Miserable Lie and love it every time. :D

I would settle for hearing a live show where the lead guitarist hits the notes without awkwardly sliding into them half the time, and doesn't try to hide inadequacies beneath layers of distortion. I would also love to hear Morrissey collaborate with some fresh blood. Established artists, virtual unknowns, who cares as long as it pushes him out of his comfort zone and inspires actual lyrics beyond kissing in your mammy's back yard.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom