"List of the Lost" review in NME; media mentions

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Here's another review, this time from the NME. Interesting that the NME have been full of gushing praise for Moz for the last couple of years, but even they are slagging the book off:

"List Of The Lost is a confused, often quite embarrassing slab of cringeworthy sex, clichés and bizarre, stilted dialogue...
Imagine Morrissey bent double, pumping away at his bulbous salutation, and you’ve imagined his book."

Morrissey - 'List Of The Lost' by Jordan Bassett (2 of 5) - NME.com
A bizarrely cringeworthy and overblown debut from the musical icon

An anonymous person also writes (original post):

The NME presents: 'Nine nice things to say about Morrissey's much-ridiculed debut novel', so hurrah! - some positivity...though admittedly they also refer to List of the Lost as an 'unreadable pamphlet' and 'a book so embarrassing it’s like seeing your dad wanking.'

Nine Nice Things To Say About Morrissey's Much-Ridiculed Debut Novel by Jordan Bassett - NME blog

Forget Morrissey’s ‘bulbous salutation’, here are my good sex awards by Flic Everett - Comment is free / The Guardian
The singer’s debut novel has been deservedly mocked for its lurid sex scenes. If only he’d studied Flaubert, Kundera or Chaucer before he started writing …

Gaia Vince, Oliver Morton and the verdict on Morrissey – books podcast - The Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:
i also like that moz doesnt have a bunch of celebrity guest stars to write songs with. no chemical brothers or billy corgan etc. just him and the band with maybe an odd backing vocal somewhere if even that

Oddly I was never a fan of Joy Division, saw them twice supporting Buzzcocks and thought they were crap to be honest. However went to New Orders first ever got and was blown away. Their back catalogue is a bit hit and miss for me, the early ones were great but the last 2 were pretty poor with only a couple of tracks on each one that were any good. For me Morrisseys strength was that the albums were full of good songs. This is my problem though, the last NO album was in 2005 and they have had a 10 year break from recording (although they have done the occasional tour) This new album is fresh, and is getting acclaim from literally every news outlet and in my opinion is the best since Technique, whereas Morrissey last album was similar to New Orders last 2 albums where in my opinion there are only a couple of decent tracks.

They tend to use Facebook/Twitter as their fan forum

I'm just slightly too young to have seen joy division live so can't comment on that, I think most bands have some weak tracks on every album, morrissey included, these days I have playlists made up with my favourite songs fron different albums, the only morrissey album I'll listen to in full is vauxhall and I , for me the only band who don't have weak tracks are the cure and that's probably why they play full albums at some of their concerts

Yep. In a long run this book will get deserved recognition. Remember what was happening with "Tarantula" (Dylan book, or should I mention John Lennon and "In His Own Write"/"A Spaniard in the Works" with bizarre imagery, disconnected narrative threads and references, creative misspellings, and abrupt, unresolved conclusions challenge the reader to either find meaning, or bring their own meaning to the text). Exactly the same thing. It was killed by critics but today is totally different light considering that book. And LIST OF THE LOST is similar attempt: experimental prose poetry, it employs stream of consciousness writing, somewhat in the style of Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, and Allen Ginsberg (remember the song from WP). Also, it is 'roman a clef', in some way, all 4 main runners are Morrissey, even homeless man who got killed (with his monologue about judges)... Great, great book!

You both made some interesting points . I agree When you say the book characters represent aspects of him. This book felt very personal - his truth, ideas and nightmares hidden in fiction characters and difficult prose (and yet exposed for all to see). So it doesn't work as a novel (it's a roman a clef) and its very different from what everyone expected . I actually understand the general reaction to the book - but I believe it was never intended to be any different.

This book will be viewed in a different light, in years to come, for these very reasons.

I feel bad for Morrissey only because I know the Man can write; he has written some wonderful liner notes for the Ramones and about the early Manchester music scene and gay scene.

Agree. His liner notes for Under the Influence and Southpaw Grammar were witty and insightful, even if they already showed his tendencies to go purple.

I don't care. I still love him.

I feel a bit sad for him. I have a feeling he had high hopes, that he did not expect this amount of criticism and that he quite underestimated the "serious" world of books and critics. But it was naïve to the extreme not to have his text edited by a professional. There is no shame in having your book edited whatsoever, happens all the time.

maybe it was edited, and one can only imagine how it read originally, if so.
the plot itself is uninteresting, so they had to leave some morrissey touches, the rants, the run on sentences otherwise there would have no point in even releasing it.

new order had commercial success much more so than morrissey.

Re: Article: "List of the Lost" review in NME; media mentions

Doubt that very much - they have just released their new album on Mute - got rave reviews in virtually every publication with a number of them saying its their best record in 25 years, do you think Morrissey will ever get the chance for anyone to say that about his new album?

I am a fan of Morrisseys music and live shows by the way and he should be getting this amount of interest - 475000 listens to their new single on you tube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPAfi6fbvTk

My Fave album in years. Brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Interview with New Order here - there is a 30 second reference to Morrisseys lack of label and his novel at 26mins and 20 secs - the drummers reaction sums up the novel!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MG5QW3-20

Oooo, thanks for this. :)

People don't jump on stage for a hug from New Order, they do for Morrissey. He is really adored by his fans and is selling concerts worldwide. I don't think he has anything to worry about .

Cult of personality. Morrissey embraces it. New Order doesn't.

I'm just slightly too young to have seen joy division live so can't comment on that, I think most bands have some weak tracks on every album, morrissey included, these days I have playlists made up with my favourite songs fron different albums, the only morrissey album I'll listen to in full is vauxhall and I , for me the only band who don't have weak tracks are the cure and that's probably why they play full albums at some of their concerts

There isn't a throwaway track on Music Complete. The whole album flows from one song to the next. And ends with one of my fave tracks.

their songs sound the same whether played forwards or backwards. never been much of a fan. they're alright but nothing to rave about.

their songs sound the same whether played forwards or backwards. never been much of a fan. they're alright but nothing to rave about.

i agree with this and the same with joy division though i find them or i should say ians voice and lyrics more interesting even if they dont mean much to me. a cult of personality maybe but its a cult and personality built on great records songs and lyrics. if the records werent great then people would view his personality differently

I take it you don't like to dance. If you did you would feel their infectious pull compelling you to get up and lose yourself in movement.

There isn't a throwaway track on Music Complete. The whole album flows from one song to the next. And ends with one of my fave tracks.

Nice to have something we agree on RB - totally agree with you, i had heard a couple of the tracks live, when they are still working on the arrangments and wasn't to sure about them but the album has brought them to life. Long time since I had an album that I can't stop listening to and my favourite changes with every listen.

Re: Article: "List of the Lost" review in NME; media mentions

Nice to have something we agree on RB - totally agree with you,...

Yeah, it is. :)

...i had heard a couple of the tracks live, when they are still working on the arrangments and wasn't to sure about them but the album has brought them to life. Long time since I had an album that I can't stop listening to...

It has a lot of hooks in it. The choruses are infectious.

I and my favourite changes with every listen.

Yep. The last track is my fave at the moment. Single worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

If somebody jumped on New Orders stage, they would probably get a kick in their nether regions.

:lbf:

Just bought tickets for 'the smiths ltd' tribute band, never seen them before, has anyone got any info ? Have seen 'the smiths indeed' before and they were great, how do they compare ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Bernard mentions getting a call from Johnny Marr at 48:35 regarding Tutti Frutti.

Yes, its a very interesting interview don't you think, gives a real insight into how they made the album.

They are doing a live radio gig in a couple of weeks featuring a lot of the new album, if its possible I will post a link to it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom