"Meat is Murder" food for thought

Tiptoes.

I have been a vegetarian for 24years now , after watching a video at Secondary school of the slaughter house I binned my ham sandwiches and became a Veggie!
I always find when I leave Morrissey's gigs I have so many mixed emotions going on. I was overwhelmed with the Meat is Murder video and it reminded me WHY I still don't eat meat.
I would be interested to hear if Morrissey has made an impact on you and what your experience was.
No judgement just interest in how this amazing Man has influenced our lives.

As a child I would refuse to eat meat, unless it was processed. It just made me feel sick. So when it came to giving it up meat completely it was really easy to do. I did that in my teens, which coincided with The Smiths being around. I suppose Morrissey gave me the nudge, but it was always going to happen.

I have been a vegetarian on & off most of my adult life but even when I've not been one I never did eat much meat. I saw Moz in Atlanta this year & stopped eating meat a few weeks before the concert when I was watching a concert of his on YouTube & he did Meat is Murder. I have not eaten it since & have 0 plans to. If anything my renewed interest in Morrissey helps me want to be the person I want to be. I am slowly transitioning to vegan & I don't know if I'll make it all the way there but I'm making an effort. I greatly admire this side of Morrissey & I don't really understand the criticism towards him because he wasn't a vegan until recently . We are imperfect humans trying to do the best we can. Sometimes we fail & sometimes we succeed. Morrissey is no different & to expect otherwise of him is very unfair. I don't always agree with his tactics but his heart is in the right place.

his argument about the women who went to the bull so that it wouldnt die is a good one for the video as well. many people of course dont want to watch something in pain but eat meat because they can divorce themselves from those images realities. when youre at the show you cant really hide from it though the pink flamingos argument also works (you can turn away and not look) but with it on stage in the middle of a song its hard to not look. ive been a veggie for a long time and grew up in a very very rural farm area so its not like these things are unknown to me but the images in the concert context and the mixed emotions feelings it brings for sure hammer it home. how can you watch the fear in those eyes and not be moved by its terror. i was moved even as a veggie and it, the film and its concentration of horrific scenes i guess had the effect of just really solidifying that. i doubt ill ever be vegan but i just cant eat meat anymore and the film helped that. funny thing is that once that video-film was just a common educational tool that later did nothing but scare little kids. time and the ironies it brings huh

The horrors that are shown are not just from the meat industry but also from the dairy industry which is also barbaric.

The horrors that are shown are not just from the meat industry but also from the dairy industry which is also barbaric.

Aren't most large ones one and the same. Not really worried about that stuff as to where I live I can get most of that from places that are not horrific from people I know and can walk there farm myself. Its mostly soy and corn but everyone has some small amount of livestock

I too live in a small village that has live stock roaming the fields but I haven't eaten meat for so long that I just see it wrong to want to eat flesh and take life. My partner does eat meat and has no intention of turning veggi. We have two small children together , the smaller one (2 year's) is happy to eat what I eat but the older one has more say so I have come to a happy medium that we all eat veggie food in the week and then weekends they can decide.
Thank you all for sharing with me.
Also I was looking into becoming vegan as I can not bring myself to eat eggs any more. Any advice or good cook books to look out for?

I too live in a small village that has live stock roaming the fields but I haven't eaten meat for so long that I just see it wrong to want to eat flesh and take life. My partner does eat meat and has no intention of turning veggi. We have two small children together , the smaller one (2 year's) is happy to eat what I eat but the older one has more say so I have come to a happy medium that we all eat veggie food in the week and then weekends they can decide.
Thank you all for sharing with me.
Also I was looking into becoming vegan as I can not bring myself to eat eggs any more. Any advice or good cook books to look out for?

yeah i dont have any vegan cookbooks but its neat to see what you did with your children. my wife has been veggie since the day her dad killed her pet chicken for dinner and of course so am i but as my first child comes into the world this year, knock on whatever, i dread the day they come home complaining that we never have burgers or something else there friends eat. its gonna be hard i think but heres hoping i can steer them in my direction. the plan is to introduce them to animals from the earliest i can and to let them feed them in order to instill a sense of responsibility towards them and that animals need us to help and take care of them. dont know how itll go but heres hoping anyway. i have that issue with the rest of my family as theyre all meat eaters and hunters fishers. hell rachels step dad does national bbq contests so it can be trying but you do what you can without being offensive or obnoxious
about it cause who does that help

Congratulations on expecting your first child, exciting times ahead oh and no sleep !!!!
My oldest son is ten and he knows that steak was a cow and pork chops was a pig and still wants to eat meat. I feel his too young to show him the video. It certainly is hard to control what your kids are eating at times as I found out on Friday. My oldest went to a friends house for a play date, on his return we chatted about his day and I asked him what he had for dinner........"HOTDOGS". Hotdogs, who eats them, there like the worst thing ever. I really felt sick after knowing what was in them. I will have to have a chat with the Mum BUT how do you go about that without being rude?

I've never liked meat, all my life. Meat Is Murder wasn't an affirmation, but a statement of the bleedin' obvious. Some years ago I was in a band, and we had a song called Blood Money, and one of the lines the singer Dave wrote was this..."Animals die to satisfy your greed...for packaged shit you don't even need". That's how I feel about the meat industry. The way animals are slaughtered so you can have a big mac is a disgrace. I spent time picking samples up for a food lab, and parked up at the entrance to an enormous poultry slaughterhouse in Scunthorpe. In 30 minutes, 4 huge wagons rolled in. It's shocking. If you're going to eat meat, I think it's sensible to look at where it's coming from, what kind of a life they had, and how they were killed. I don't eat meat, I don't like it, and I never have; but any way to decrease suffering, for that is what it is when you eat meat, is a good one in my book.

I have been a vegetarian for 24years now , after watching a video at Secondary school of the slaughter house I binned my ham sandwiches and became a Veggie!
I always find when I leave Morrissey's gigs I have so many mixed emotions going on. I was overwhelmed with the Meat is Murder video and it reminded me WHY I still don't eat meat.
I would be interested to hear if Morrissey has made an impact on you and what your experience was.
No judgement just interest in how this amazing Man has influenced our lives.

As I child I spent so much time feeding and taking care of the animals at Summer Camp that the owners eventually took me to visit many of the small family farms in the area. Meeting all the chickens, goats, bunnies, etc. made me realize that they are beings with feelings, personalities and needs every bit as urgent as our own. They also took me to visit a fur farm, where the minks were piled on top of each other in bare wire cages, and it broke my heart. So (much to my parents regret), my (future) animal activism was born.

As anonymous said: Meat is Murder gave me a "nudge" but I was already well down the road to vegetarianism by the time it came out. It wasn't just the lyrics that got to me, it was the way that Morrissey sang them - the song rang very dark, and very true. And yes, it still does.

We swear by the Veganomicon (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/veganomicon-isa-chandra-moskowitz/1100046085). It's a big, wide-ranging cookbook with a ton of easy-to-follow recipes - hearty, delicious and substantial food without of lot of processed products. The writers are fun too: nothing precious and no attitude.

Back
Top Bottom