London, England - Eventim Apollo (Sep. 21, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Let The Right One Slip In / Suedehead / Speedway / Ganglord / Boxers / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Staircase At The University / Alma Matters / Will Never Marry / My Dearest Love / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Oboe Concerto / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Everyday Is Like Sunday // The Queen Is Dead

setlist provided by Morran.

Last edited:
Brits are a cynical lot by and large, and Morrissey's wider reputation, beyond a diminishing fanbase, is almost non-existent. It is easy to think, when you are close to something, that it s the most important thing in the world, when in truth it almost certainly isn't. If people can go through their days without thinking deeply of Mozart, Beethoven, Picasso or Van Gogh, they can certainly forget about Morrissey.

There's a famous John Lennon quote he gave to Rolling Stone in the 70s:

I remember when I first heard that wondering how could Lennon possibly think that? All those amazing hits? Those iconic albums and Beatles moments woven in time? Carnaby Street, the Swinging Sixties, miniskirts, jumpers for goalposts, Beatles. Yet as you get older and hopefully wiser you realise he was right. When you think of his fate, you realise even more.

The first time I heard that Lennon quote was probably around the time Viva Hate was due and I probably hadn't fully recovered from the Smiths having split. My dearest wish then was that somehow VH would carry on the Smiths legacy untainted and without a pause for breath, and of course it largely succeeded in doing so. It is still a beautiful record, and is a perfect snapshot of that moment in time. Put alongside recent Morrissey output it is an intelligent, beautiful, wistful and delicate thing - but so is a runaway steamroller heading towards an infant school playground at lunchtime.

Morrissey's "last" UK gig passed without a whimper here. Few care. Let me rephrase that. Even fewer care. At the peak of the Smiths they seeped into the British consciousness, even earning the ultimate accolade of Radio 4 having heard of them...

.... but it was hardly mass adulation. They were always rather a secret, which was part of the attraction. Even when they were all over the media it felt like it was something for the cognoscenti. It became a sort of shorthand. If someone didn't like the Smiths you knew they were a wrong 'un: Next!

(Listening again to the reaction of the audience to that wonderful lyric makes you realise just how good Morrissey was.)

I've been posting less here because I find this current version of Morrissey stultifying boring. He isn't the same amusing, witty, razor sharp breath of fresh air he once was. The result of not having to think about how awful he is now has been that when a Smiths song bubbles up to the surface on my phone I can actually enjoy it for what it is, rather than projectile vomiting and grabbing blindly for the forward button.

In half a century's time, when most of us have gone some kid will go onto a music site and see a page about the Smiths. He'll check out few reviews to see what is worth having, and in a blink of an eye - probably with a blink of an eye - he'll download the most regarded of Morrissey's work. It'll include all of the Smiths output, Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I. The rest he'll leave, because the review aggregator told him to.

Morrissey won't have the great advantage John Lennon, Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley had, and instead shares the fate of Paul McCartney and Elton John of living long enough to balls it all up. For some reason only he can explain he's traded the short term benefit of breathing with the long term advantages of taking the easy way out and preserving his legacy.

Pure thoughtless self indulgence, in my opinion.

Interesting post - I do think the Smiths music will endure for generations so perhaps their legacy is preserved. Noone really disses The Beatles for McCartney's heinous Frog Chorus nor for that matter Yellow Submarine. Admittedly the Beatles were far bigger than The Smiths but then the Smiths will endure as a cult secret.

Morrissey long ago forgot about his musical legacy and put his genius into his persona with diminishing returns as he ages

Last edited by a moderator:
you spend a lot of time addressing that which you view as unimportant.

Brits are a cynical lot by and large, and Morrissey's wider reputation, beyond a diminishing fanbase, is almost non-existent. It is easy to think, when you are close to something, that it s the most important thing in the world, when in truth it almost certainly isn't. If people can go through their days without thinking deeply of Mozart, Beethoven, Picasso or Van Gogh, they can certainly forget about Morrissey.

I remember when I first heard that wondering how could Lennon possibly think that? All those amazing hits? Those iconic albums and Beatles moments woven in time? Carnaby Street, the Swinging Sixties, miniskirts, jumpers for goalposts, Beatles. Yet as you get older and hopefully wiser you realise he was right. When you think of his fate, you realise even more.

The first time I heard that Lennon quote was probably around the time Viva Hate was due and I probably hadn't fully recovered from the Smiths having split. My dearest wish then was that somehow VH would carry on the Smiths legacy untainted and without a pause for breath, and of course it largely succeeded in doing so. It is still a beautiful record, and is a perfect snapshot of that moment in time. Put alongside recent Morrissey output it is an intelligent, beautiful, wistful and delicate thing - but so is a runaway steamroller heading towards an infant school playground at lunchtime.

Morrissey's "last" UK gig passed without a whimper here. Few care. Let me rephrase that. Even fewer care. At the peak of the Smiths they seeped into the British consciousness, even earning the ultimate accolade of Radio 4 having heard of them...

.... but it was hardly mass adulation. They were always rather a secret, which was part of the attraction. Even when they were all over the media it felt like it was something for the cognoscenti. It became a sort of shorthand. If someone didn't like the Smiths you knew they were a wrong 'un: Next!

(Listening again to the reaction of the audience to that wonderful lyric makes you realise just how good Morrissey was.)

I've been posting less here because I find this current version of Morrissey stultifying boring. He isn't the same amusing, witty, razor sharp breath of fresh air he once was. The result of not having to think about how awful he is now has been that when a Smiths song bubbles up to the surface on my phone I can actually enjoy it for what it is, rather than projectile vomiting and grabbing blindly for the forward button.

In half a century's time, when most of us have gone some kid will go onto a music site and see a page about the Smiths. He'll check out few reviews to see what is worth having, and in a blink of an eye - probably with a blink of an eye - he'll download the most regarded of Morrissey's work. It'll include all of the Smiths output, Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I. The rest he'll leave, because the review aggregator told him to.

Morrissey won't have the great advantage John Lennon, Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley had, and instead shares the fate of Paul McCartney and Elton John of living long enough to balls it all up. For some reason only he can explain he's traded the short term benefit of breathing with the long term advantages of taking the easy way out and preserving his legacy.

Pure thoughtless self indulgence, in my opinion.

you spend a lot of time addressing that which you view as unimportant.

I'm pretty sure that the underlying message of that post was I thought the Smiths were important, but that pop music itself is not when placed in its true perspective. Hence the Lennon quote. I've long maintained newer Morrissey fans weren't very bright. Thank you for your help in underlining that view for everyone.

I couldn't find any reference to last night's final UK gig in the Guardian, which has usually been quite supportive down the years. This is their most recent Morrissey piece:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/sh...ow-stray-dogs-review-morrisseys-greatest-hits

Possibly an indication of how this terrible news has been borne with its renowned stoicism by the great British public. Their top story in the music section today is that David Bowie has written the theme to a television show.

I did see a group standing on the side of the road earlier, and wondered if this was the first sign of an outpouring of grief, but on closer inspection they seemed to be waiting for a bus.

I'm pretty sure that the underlying message of that post was I thought the Smiths were important, but that pop music itself is not when placed in its true perspective. Hence the Lennon quote. I've long maintained newer Morrissey fans weren't very bright. Thank you for your help in underlining that view for everyone.

I couldn't find any reference to last night's final UK gig in the Guardian, which has usually been quite supportive down the years. This is their most recent Morrissey piece:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/sh...ow-stray-dogs-review-morrisseys-greatest-hits

Possibly an indication of how this terrible news has been borne with its renowned stoicism by the great British public. Their top story in the music section today is that David Bowie has written the theme to a television show.

I did see a group standing on the side of the road earlier, and wondered if this was the first sign of an outpouring of grief, but on closer inspection they seemed to be waiting for a bus.

LOL +1
moz retired and nobody noticed. odd.

Still don't understand why Morrissey specifically mentions the UK when it comes to getting a record deal to make touring worthwhile. He seems to have a ideological dislike for indie labels and apart from EMI and Virgin, are most major labels not US based?.

Is he admitting that he is prepared to tour other countries with no new material just to pay for the hotel lifestyle and top up the pension pot? As he spends most of his time in Los Angeles, it does not make logistical/financial sense to travel to the European continent to tour and miss out the UK and Ireland.

One of my favorite quotes by a public figure ever. I think of it (and refer to it) fairly often in my line of work.

Lennon's words didn't just spring from wisdom, they sprang from the unique perspective of being inside the celebrity bubble. Once you've been there, you understand how ridiculous (and insane) the whole trip really is. Fame (particularly of the musical variety) relies on maintaining a certain level of public hysteria: it's exhausting work, and it's crazy-making. Morrissey's ability to whip up hysteria has, for decades, been unsurpassed. He may not have the biggest fan base, but he has always had the maddest - a testament not only to the Morrissey's rather awe-inspiring gifts, but to his toughness, and ability to survive in an extremely inhospitable environment (that maims and kills many) for such a prolonged period of time.

As for Morrissey's many, many inexplicable missteps: there's currently a 50-year-old video making the internet rounds of John Lennon mocking the disabled at a live gig. Folks are clutching their pearls, shocked and appalled. It must be a slow news day, because I watched that clip decades ago, and it never diminished his accomplishments in my eyes (and ears). Singers aren't saints - they put their best selves into their work, and all the rest of it leaks out in unguarded (or lamentably thoughtless) moments.

The Smiths are safely ensconced in music history, and Morrissey will fade and wink out like the rest of us mere mortals. There is still something rather mythical about the man though: I predict a healthy after-life in the hearts of music geeks and broken-hearted misanthropes everywhere.

if you yourself are only "pretty sure" then i'll stick with my original statement.

No I don't want to join a f***ing gym, that Human Verification thing is really annoying.

Anyway. 'I know it's gonna happen someday' would've been a brilliant one to end on. That would be very Bowie-like - as Rock n roll Suicide was the last song Bowie did at Hammersmith at the 'last ever' show (which wasn't). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-G1Uy0OkCw

Very much enjoyed last night. I'm nothing like you guys on here, I only got into Morrissey after discovering The Smiths maybe 18 months ago? Being 24 years old barely any of my friends had heard of him let alone wanted to go see him, so I traveled across the country last night and man, I knew his voice would be spot on but that band sounded fantastic, and I think the sound of the Apollo helped as well. I have to echo what was said above, I really wish he would do some more classics. I think if we had a whole gig where the crowd reacts for the entire time as they did to Suedehead and TQID then I'd be in pieces! Admittedly I have nothing to compare it to in terms of other Mozza gigs but that is definitely one of the best sounding shows I've ever been to.

Very much enjoyed last night. I'm nothing like you guys on here, I only got into Morrissey after discovering The Smiths maybe 18 months ago? Being 24 years old barely any of my friends had heard of him let alone wanted to go see him, so I traveled across the country last night and man, I knew his voice would be spot on but that band sounded fantastic, and I think the sound of the Apollo helped as well. I have to echo what was said above, I really wish he would do some more classics. I think if we had a whole gig where the crowd reacts for the entire time as they did to Suedehead and TQID then I'd be in pieces! Admittedly I have nothing to compare it to in terms of other Mozza gigs but that is definitely one of the best sounding shows I've ever been to.

glad you enjoyed but as a new fan let me say moz doing a classic or hits set isnt his style at all and probably wont happen

he can only be signed to a major out of the uk. hes sold almost nothing in the usa.
no major label in the US is going to sign him.

This is really upsetting. This can't be his last concert in the UK, he loves singing and why can't he just perform the new songs live without a record deal. There are a whole lot of UK fans upset today I am sure.

He said something along the lines of 'this concludes our shows in the UK but we will always be close to you'

Well, this certainly doesn't slam and lock the door on future tours/shows, if this was the phrasing.

Last edited:
I was behind Brand. He spent 90% of the time looking around as opposed to watching Morrissey.

So then you weren't watching Moz either? Leave the bloke alone...who cares?

Moz thank you!!!! Perfect evening!!!

In that case, why is he touring anywhere with his current record deal status? Why is he only singling out UK for last shows?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom