Is the shirt toss more violent now?

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
The last 2 Moz gigs I've been to have resulted in really violent fights over the shirt at the end of the set, I never remember it being that violent say 10 years ago and probably wasn't nowhere near as messy in the 80s and 90s, what do you all reckon??

I'm not sure why, but the incident at Hull was ridiculous. There's no point risking getting your head kicked in over a bit of cloth. He should stop doing this.

The last 2 Moz gigs I've been to have resulted in really violent fights over the shirt at the end of the set, I never remember it being that violent say 10 years ago and probably wasn't nowhere near as messy in the 80s and 90s, what do you all reckon??

Age comes, even to the best of us ;)

When we were young(er) it was fun to get your head kicked in for a bit of schmutter. 'Violence' wouldn't have come into it.

Now?...not so much.

And for a 42" Bacofoil DvN knock-off? No ta.

Now if it had been a Tom Ford shirt, I'd be flying in.

i would call out the audience and not the thrower. maybe this is just what fans in hull are like

Watching idiots jump all over for a cheapo fake red satin shirt ...of a bloated moza disgusting to say the least... him & the shirt.# vile

I'm not sure why, but the incident at Hull was ridiculous. There's no point risking getting your head kicked in over a bit of cloth. He should stop doing this.

but it does his ego no end of good.

I saw a video of what happened at Hull and saw many other similar videos of people becoming violent to get Morrissey's shirt. It's stupid as hell, even if you're a die-hard fan it's just so stupid. I'm young too but i don't consider it "funny" in any way, it's quite sad to see people fighting to get a bit of cloth.

At the leeds gig this year I got a hold of his shirt but so did 12 other people. It was a similar situation where it lasted far too long and nobody would let go. I realised how ridiculous the situation was and I let go and just shouted f*** this to everybody. I mean some girls hair got caught in it and once I saw that I knew I needed to leave.

It's actually a diversionary tactic to get the crowd to stop mounting the stage while he leaves.

Was stood right next to the maul, was pitiful to watch, security should have taken it and burned it in front of them, now that would be a you tube classic

Just once I'd like to him take off his pants and toss that into the crowd. Might be even more violent

Just once I'd like to him take off his pants and toss that into the crowd. Might be even more violent

That would be the one time I'd have to demand that whomever is shooting video or photos that they follow Morrissey and not the shirt/pants into the crowd! All too often these idiots follow the shirt, not the man.

I think a couple of factors have made the shirt toss more violent:

1) That general uncertainty/enigmatic quality about Moz has steadily increased over the past decade or so, and fans now are (more often) asking themselves at shows: "Is this the last time I'll ever see him?" There are valid reasons for asking that, and that creates, I think, a level of desperation that didn't exist when he was younger and more accessible and you could assume you'd probably get at least one other chance.

2) The rise of social media has made tweeting or instagramming a picture of the remnants of the shirt a really popular thing. In the 80's and 90's, that would be a more private thing that you'd keep to yourself (framed or maybe under your pillow) unless you were lucky enough to have a picture submitted to a paper 'zine.

It's always been violent. It's no worse now than it used to be. It's just watched more because of mobile phone cameras.

From videos etc it looks as though one person has got the whole thing sometimes (especially 'seated' shows on the continent) in which case getting the shirt is an immediate cash-in, not just because Morrissey wore it but it's Dries Van Noten, ££££

It's sad watching people of a certain age fighting over the discarded shirt of a 56 year old, having said that I always thought it was shit, too violent (biting people Ffs) and a waste of a perfectly decent shirt.

Perhaps he could write his next novella about it... Cottonpickers In The Field

Back
Top Bottom