Chrissie Hynde is an absolute idiot

Re: Chrissie Hynde is an absolute idiot.

Blaming the victim is the equivalent of blaming the food for the obese person's overconsumption. The rapist is solely responsible for his actions. Just as the smoker is responsible and the bank robber is responsible. You cannot blame the object of your addiction for your lack of will power to control your actions. There will always be things that tempt us the behave inappropriately. Her comments may explain how she feels about her actions. But it does not speak for all victims. Not even close.

Rape affects the victim in many ways and one of those ways is that they blame themselves. Having known survivors of rape and molestation I understand why she's saying what she's saying, which is subtly different than endorsing it.
No one who has been raped is to blame. At the same time, be aware that the world has a lot of people who will rape, and not even consider it rape, so don't drink to the point you pass out, even around people you think are your friends. She could have stated it as "be careful or this may happen to you" which is totally valid, but because of her own experience she stated it a different way.
Sometimes people will blame themselves out of guilt, but other times it's that they are trying to work out a way to feel in control of what happened. Let's take it into another area. Say you lend your "friend" some money and they don't pay you back. You can feel like a fool, like you were tricked, or you can reason that you never expected them to pay it back anyway. That doesn't absolve them of blame, but depending on your own personality it might be the way that you can better accept it.

Rape affects the victim in many ways and one of those ways is that they blame themselves. Having known survivors of rape and molestation I understand why she's saying what she's saying, which is subtly different than endorsing it.
No one who has been raped is to blame. At the same time, be aware that the world has a lot of people who will rape, and not even consider it rape, so don't drink to the point you pass out, even around people you think are your friends. She could have stated it as "be careful or this may happen to you" which is totally valid, but because of her own experience she stated it a different way.
Sometimes people will blame themselves out of guilt, but other times it's that they are trying to work out a way to feel in control of what happened. Let's take it into another area. Say you lend your "friend" some money and they don't pay you back. You can feel like a fool, like you were tricked, or you can reason that you never expected them to pay it back anyway. That doesn't absolve them of blame, but depending on your own personality it might be the way that you can better accept it.

yeah you make good points about the common psychology of victims of sexual violence. this is incredibly accurate and shouting a name isnt really doing anything to highlight the the complex nature of the harm done. i think shes trying to say that i was stupid and put myself in obvious danger for stupid reasons but i think she took it that far in the language mostly for the reasons youve stated

"to feel in control of what happened"

Yes, obviously there is no justification for someone raping or sexually abusing someone else - but I don't think it's beyond the pale to suggest that people also need to take responsibility for their actions, and not put themselves in harms way.

If I wear a suit covered with dollar bills and walk through a shitty, unlit backstreet in a rough area of town at midnight then I am going to get mugged.
If I strap steaks to me (yuck!), and walk past a bunch of starving dogs, they are going to bite me.
A woman *should* be able to walk stark naked down a street at night, but - in the real world - she's going to get raped.

But, sadly, we live in a victim culture, where everything is always someone else's fault, so you can't even suggest that people need to take even the slightest bit of personal responsibility. I don't think that is empowering women - I think it's infantilising them.

Yes, obviously there is no justification for someone raping or sexually abusing someone else - but I don't think it's beyond the pale to suggest that people also need to take responsibility for their actions, and not put themselves in harms way.

If I wear a suit covered with dollar bills and walk through a shitty, unlit backstreet in a rough area of town at midnight then I am going to get mugged.
If I strap steaks to me (yuck!), and walk past a bunch of starving dogs, they are going to bite me.
A woman *should* be able to walk stark naked down a street at night, but - in the real world - she's going to get raped.

But, sadly, we live in a victim culture, where everything is always someone else's fault, so you can't even suggest that people need to take even the slightest bit of personal responsibility. I don't think that is empowering women - I think it's infantilising them.

yeah being born and raised in deadly dangerous places i know this all to well and had to live it for a very long time. ive been the victim of violence a lot and while i know its not my fault i do know how to avoid it the best i can and did for survival

So basically, had she been the lawyer in "Cape Fear", it would have been a very different movie.

I'm more worried that she might just say that for publicity, as her memoir is coming out.
Now THAT would be a real example of how a victim thinks and acts.

Geez. I didn't know that about her. No wonder PETA succeeded in recruiting her, along with other very confused traumatized aging celebs.
She still rocks though. In her clueless way...

Like, she warns us all about brainwashing... I mean, it's like Nancy warning us about peroxide...
I bet Chrissie's brain has been washed so often, it's shrunk a bit...

Back
Top Bottom