Favourite song on 'World Peace...' 1 year on?

Favourite song on 'World Peace.....' 1 year on?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

• I'm Not A Man

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

• Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

• Mountjoy

• Oboe Concerto

• One Of Our Own

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Art-Hounds

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • other

• Total voters
Favourite song on 'World Peace.....' 1 year on?

I voted Staircase but it could also easily be Istanbul, I'm Not a Man or Mountjoy. For me if they had only swapped The World is the Loneliest Planet for Art-Hounds and I think for me it would have been the perfect album.

thats tough as i think the whole album is pretty equal in quality but i guess if pressed ill say im not a man for its superb vocal and lyric and the emotional intelligence of the giutar part. so much bigger and better than really makes my heart swell. mount joy is a close second for the hollowed out atmosphere the music creates for the vocal and of course. bull fighter of course also has a great viva like guitar accordion line and the world peace vocal and lyric are amazing to me. the slow dissension of the vocal is great. i dont care for any of the b-sides this time around and feel they made the right choice with the tracklisting

i agree with upper poster - songs are equal in quality therefore my favourites are changeable.

NOW, it's 'neal cassady drops dead'.

Smiler With Knife, though I like all of them. The only two I feel are slightly repetitive are Forgive Someone and Julie In The Weeds.

Smiler With Knife, though I like all of them. The only two I feel are slightly repetitive are Forgive Someone and Julie In The Weeds.

Yes, I feel quite the same about those two songs!

Can i ask, what or whom is one of your own about? I don't get that song. I know its about sacrifice and suicide but why did he write it

Tough choice. I really do love the album as a whole. Kiss Me A Lot and Art Hounds are two big favorites of mine. But One Of Our Own is something special, I think.

I love the whole album but for me it would have to be Smiler With Knife.

Can i ask, what or whom is one of your own about? I don't get that song. I know its about sacrifice and suicide but why did he write it
It seems like a pretty straighforward song about fraternity and the sacrificial bond that develops between brothers in arms during combat situations. Very similar to "The Soldiering Life" by The Decemberists, actually. It doesn't need to be about a real person. As for why Morrissey wrote it, he's always used his music to tell stories. For every supposedly autobiographical song, we also got "November Spawned a Monster," "Picadilly Palare," "Jack the Ripper" etc.

As for my favorite song on WPINOYB, probably "Drag the River". I don't understand the lack of love for that song on here. It has a beautiful, plaintive melody and is certainly one of the strongest songs of the bunch lyrically. I get chills every time I listen.

Last edited:
Best pop song: Kiss Me A Lot
Best classic Moz song: Drag The River
Frankly unlistenable: Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Generally speaking, I find the bonus tracks / b-sides more enjoyable than the bulk of the main album, the sole exception being Julie In The Weeds, which I find bland and rather boring.
Art-hounds is a pretty good song, once the daft intro is removed of course.

It seems like a pretty straighforward song about fraternity and the sacrificial bond that develops between brothers in arms during combat situations. Very similar to "The Soldiering Life" by The Decemberists, actually. It doesn't need to be about a real person. As for why Morrissey wrote it, he's always used his music to tell stories. For every supposedly autobiographical song, we also got "November Spawned a Monster," "Picadilly Palare," "Jack the Ripper" etc.

As for my favorite song on WPINOYB, probably "Drag the River". I don't understand the lack of love for that song on here. It has a beautiful, plaintive melody and is certainly one of the strongest songs of the bunch lyrically. I get chills every time I listen.
Thank you for your response. Also i was thinking this morning about something similar that you said about morrissey telling stories with his songs. I often wondered why people and sometimes even myself always assume that morrissey songs are all autobiographical. Morrissey often inventes people and situations to explain emotions he and others have felt. Like the song sunny and there's a light that never goes out.

Thank you for your response. Also i was thinking this morning about something similar that you said about morrissey telling stories with his songs. I often wondered why people and sometimes even myself always assume that morrissey songs are all autobiographical. Morrissey often inventes people and situations to explain emotions he and others have felt. Like the song sunny and there's a light that never goes out.

Except There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is definitely autobiographical, and in my opinion so is Sunny.

Except There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is definitely autobiographical, and in my opinion so is Sunny.

why are you so sure that TIALTNGO is aiutobiographical? and who it's about then? i don't think is about anyone in particular

I don't want to start a thing, but I don't think so. There's a light that never goes out is definitely not about Johnny as many believe. Here is quotes from songs that saved your life page 151
" there's a light that never goes out is commonly and contentiously discussed, many taking the idealistic romantic view that its words amount to wholly autobiographical confession of morrissey's feelings towards his songwriting partner. Asked in 2005 the singer stated ' it wasn't and it isn't.'

Here is johnnys quote. "Marr coyly insists he 'never spends much time thinking about that stuff', noting for the record that in literal lyrical reading he wasn't 'the only person to drive morrissey around in a car, put it that way"

On curious note, what or who do you think sunny and there's a light that never goes out is about

I don't want to start a thing, but I don't think so. There's a light that never goes out is definitely not about Johnny as many believe. Here is quotes from songs that saved your life page 151
" there's a light that never goes out is commonly and contentiously discussed, many taking the idealistic romantic view that its words amount to wholly autobiographical confession of morrissey's feelings towards his songwriting partner. Asked in 2005 the singer stated ' it wasn't and it isn't.'

Here is johnnys quote. "Marr coyly insists he 'never spends much time thinking about that stuff', noting for the record that in literal lyrical reading he wasn't 'the only person to drive morrissey around in a car, put it that way"

On curious note, what or who do you think sunny and there's a light that never goes out is about

I won't get drawn into discussing who the subject of Morrissey's affection is in either of the songs, but I am fairly certain that the man driving in someone's car, never wanting to go home is indeed Morrissey and so is the man missing Sunny before he/she is even gone.

"Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?"

lol but why are you so sure is not about Johnny? i'm not saying it is about him, but the way you say definitely makes you sound like you know who was written for. I don't believe in anything Morrissey says to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom