World Peace Is None Of Your Business: 1 year later

fredkocherpepsi

If I recall correctly, it was a year ago this week where most of us first heard this album (and the bonus tracks) when it leaked, prior to getting our preorders. What are people's thoughts? Has your mind changed?

I honestly still listen to it a couple times a week, and haven't stopped since it was released. I don't know what it is that makes me keep coming back to it. It's not even like I think it's his best solo LP, I just really really really like it.

I went back and read the original "leaked" thread on here because I was bored and it brought back some nice memories.

Still has my vote. I consider it a progression from "Years of Refusal." I will say though that "Oboe Concerto" did not live up to the hype for me when I was finally able to hear it. It's the song on the album I listen to least.

I think it's one of his best. I'd quibble a bit with the sequencing and maybe change out some album tracks for b-sides, but judging the album plus the outtakes as one body of work I think it's the best thing he's done in a VERY long time. I still listen to it a lot.

Still love the album a lot.

However, Earth is the loneliest... and Kick the Bride... don't really add to the album at all.

Oboe is a very anti-climactic end after Mountjoy

If I recall correctly, it was a year ago this week where most of us first heard this album (and the bonus tracks) when it leaked, prior to getting our preorders. What are people's thoughts? Has your mind changed?

I honestly still listen to it a couple times a week, and haven't stopped since it was released. I don't know what it is that makes me keep coming back to it. It's not even like I think it's his best solo LP, I just really really really like it.

I went back and read the original "leaked" thread on here because I was bored and it brought back some nice memories.

I have never listened to the whole thing. I downloaded it when it was available and played a few songs. Later I went back and played songs people had mentioned as their favorites but I never really was knocked out.

I finally broke down and started watching the BBC TV Series Sherlock when shit started getting crazy online.

I happen to love the whole album except Bullfighter. And I'm not too keen on Forgive Someone either. But I think Earth (especially live) and Kick The Bride are great. I think Earth captures very nicely the point of Morrissey and his standpoint on humans and the world in general. It's pretty much the same sentiment which he is talking about in interviews since 2014. Kick The Bride is a really great musical track and it goes without saying that most people dismiss it because of the lyrics. But for me they were always just amusing. I am quite surprised that people are so quick to judge a whole person because of one song and without thinking and I think Moz was very disappointed with that as well. He rarely tries to explain songs or feels the need to justify a it but he did exactly that several times on stage with Kick The Bride. He also did the same with Scandinavia, by the way, so I think these are songs he absolutely loves.

It's ranked 6th place out of his 10 solo studio albums amongst the fans on here, barely ahead of Maladjusted.

Scoreboard (update)

1. Vauxhall And I (216 points)
2. Your Arsenal (202 points)
3. Viva Hate (201 points)
4. You Are The Quarry (147.5 points)
5. Southpaw Grammar (110 points)
6. World Peace Is None Of Your Business (107.5 points)
7. Maladjusted (107 points)
8. Ringleader Of The Tormentors (98.5 points)
9. Kill Uncle (91 points)
10. Years Of Refusal (88.5 points)

I think it's one of his best. I'd quibble a bit with the sequencing and maybe change out some album tracks for b-sides, but judging the album plus the outtakes as one body of work I think it's the best thing he's done in a VERY long time. I still listen to it a lot.

Me too. It is a very very strong body of work.

Me too. It is a very very strong body of work.

agreed and it also went back a bit to classic morrissey sounds. its probably my fourth fav solo album as of now. earth is is great and the guitar part is super sweet. the ones i dont care as much for, and im with fred on this in saying that even those songs are like seven out of tens for me. smiler with knife im not to keen on the music though then lyric is great and so is the vocal. the music sounds to kitchen sink to me as in lets throw this in now etc. staircase is the other i dont care for but its mostly that really boring backbeat i cant stand though admittedly the song grows and expands very quickly. all in all i think im still where i was a year ago. i listen to it and swords probably at least once a week

As per most of Morrissey's output since 2004 I don't think it has/ will stand the test of time. I mean it's a good album and certainly an improvement on Yawns of Refusal and what have you but it is not a record I return to on a regular basis. Much like most of Morrissey's later oeuvre. (I think most of his better recordings have occurred on B-sides in the 'comeback' years including the outtakes to World Peace)

Although slightly unfair to compare his later work with his earlier solo canon one invariably does and in 20 years time, if Im still here, it will be Vauxhall, Southpaw and Your Arsenal I will undoubtedly return to

I still love it. I think I have listened to MountJoy at least once a week for a year. One of my all time favorite Morrissey songs. I am counting the minutes until I can hear him sing Staircase live in Chicago...

As per most of Morrissey's output since 2004 I don't think it has/ will stand the test of time. I mean it's a good album and certainly an improvement on Yawns of Refusal and what have you but it is not a record I return to on a regular basis. Much like most of Morrissey's later oeuvre. (I think most of his better recordings have occurred on B-sides in the 'comeback' years including the outtakes to World Peace)

Although slightly unfair to compare his later work with his earlier solo canon one invariably does and in 20 years time, if Im still here, it will be Vauxhall, Southpaw and Your Arsenal I will undoubtedly return to

I think it's a wonderful album and I couldn't care less if it stands the test of time or not because it woudn't change anything about the fact that I love it. The only reason I would love the album to be remembered is because it would make Moz happy. But, of course, nobody asks about that. I'm following the music scene since the late 70s and one thing I've learned by now is, that EVERY successful artist reachs a stage in his/her career when not ONE SINGLE ALBUM they make will receive as much recognition than the previous ones, and that hasn't necessarily something to do with it's quality. People simply love to rank, to divide, to compare. They love to vote the best, the worst, the most fascinating, the most underrated, the most overrated, the most EVERYTHING. Most people aren't in for the long run because the have a very short attention span but I could never do it. For me, an artist's work is one body of work and everything new is another piece of the puzzle, so to say.

one year later i KNOW it's his best after 'viva'!

each song has its own story and history and is some sort of beauty wellspring, according to my musical expectations.

wonderful, wonderful, wonderful album. :love:

Back
Top Bottom