Most beautiful/moving parts in Autobiography

A

Anonymous

Since everyone constantly points out the "negative" parts in Autobiography I thought we might discuss the good. I hate to be negative all the time.

One part which I find strangely moving is this one

"Nannie's final request was that she be buried with her dentures in, but at the final open-coffin inspection, her request had not been followed through, and she looks in death as she had never looked in life"

I thought Johnny's letter to moz was really cute and also kinda sad

Most beautiful/moving parts in Autobiography

Anything to do with Geoff Travis. It's very touching and you can tell Moz was writing from a place of endearment.

I find the last couple of pages eerie and beautiful. Dark Chicago winter, so far from where the book began but somehow HE is the same, but at last he has the gang, the blood-bubbas, The Smiths had always meant to be.

"The following night at Liverpool's Philharmonic Hall I search for clefts in the rocks where I might hide so that none may track me. In other words, I am dogged with flu. It is a mournful experience to walk onstage knowing that much of your vocal range has gone, but much emphasis is placed on the power of the crowd and the sudden medical purification of being out there where sore throats are forgotten as hidden strengths are called on. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just cannot. 'Oh, you'll be alright once you get out there - the roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd ...' say those who remain safely backstage. Often local promoters will send their doctors to examine you to gauge whether or not you are bluffing (and why on earth you'd want to bluff such a pointless prank is beyond me), and the doctor will always give you a clean bill of health so that you have no easy route to cancel the night and and claim on insurance. This has happened to me many times, and I have faced an audience having no choice but to prove that my voice has, in fact, shattered, at which I am usually asked, 'Well, why did you go on?' Legally, no choice. Ancient boos from long ago at Dundee's Caird Hall and Aberdeen's Capitol Theater when it all went wrong - these memories still sting many years on, because all you want to give is your very best even when you feel your very worst."

"I think of Kirsty and daylight leaves the room and I sink to my lowest."

The mess of affection, pity and complete admiration he bestows upon Julie Burchill. Its a complex piece of writing; simultaneously cruel and loving. Very Morrissey.

The mess of affection, pity and complete admiration he bestows upon Julie Burchill. Its a complex piece of writing; simultaneously cruel and loving. Very Morrissey.

I thought he explain in that paragraph how I once liked her then hated her. I thought morrissey became a wee bit too personal then. I mean bashing her appearance instead of character is a bit low. I dislike burchill and agree with moz, but......

I thought he explain in that paragraph how I once liked her then hated her. I thought morrissey became a wee bit too personal then. I mean bashing her appearance instead of character is a bit low. I dislike burchill and agree with moz, but......

I started this thread and I asked for beautiful and moving parts. I didn't ask for sarcasm and I didn't ask to discuss seemingly bad things to death. You and others can do it on other threads. You could, for once, contribute something constructive to a thread instead of only always responding to the posts of others or digress from issues. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I started this thread and I asked for beautiful and moving parts. I didn't ask for sarcasm and I didn't ask to discuss seemingly bad things to death. You and others can do it on other threads. You could, for once, contribute something constructive to a thread instead of only always responding to the posts of others or digress from issues. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Calm, down. I was wondering about the quote. I think I bring things if value into threads. But I wish not be apart of a thread who is started by such a aggressive person. Thank you and goodbye. No need for such aggression. The same thing could be said friendly.

Edit: please don't even bother replying lets, just bow out peacefully with our dignity

Last edited by a moderator:

But I can't help feeling that the admiration and (possibly even) love comes shining through. There's certainly no hatred there. In fact, given the stitch-up there's very little animosity. He seems almost like disappointed, but caring and patient, parent.

The most beautiful parts in the book for me were the parts about his relationship with Jake.Also very moving to me was the kindness Morrissey has shown to animals.

I thought it was very poignant when he was talking about writing Smiths songs after a lifetime of mental and emotional abuse, and the trauma that it had engendered in him.

For me one of the most beautifully crafted parts can be found on p. 297. Here the future short story and novel writer is already palpable. Full of rich perception and description:

"You are obsessed with dead people, my father tells me, you ought to get interested in the living. He is right of course. Yet off i go to Charles Hawtrey's house o Middle Street in Deal, which is now listed for sale, and a macabre wind sucks me in to inspect. As a lumbering nonentity, i enter Hawtrey's pasty smuggler's cottage on a depressing narrow street - the type of street that would remain shadowed and cold even during a heatwave. In inspect the solemn 1930s kitchen, and the rough coconut matting by the grim plastic bath. [...] The main bedroom carpet is a patchwork of noxious stains, and a small corner sink is clogged with pubic hair. [...] I leave the house feeling dreadful, but ir really is my own fault."

Just had a random thought about this, seeing it here. I remember, though I may be mistaken, Moz's dad working as a hospital porter, pushing dead bodies around. Also, Moz had the Moors Murders being discussed a lot around him as a child. Sounds like those two things could be the twin engines of his morbidity, his own perceived child murder victimhood, and trying to understand what his father did for a living, the two conflating in his impressionable young mind. Just an observation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom