New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden (June 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

setlist provided by Amsden

Last edited:
Still in a bit of a fog, and despite feeling so far away (especially compared with last week in Philadelphia which was one of the highlights of my life!) I thought this was a great concert. The band sounded spectacular, and Morrissey's voice filled up the entire arena.

Anyone who's saying it was "partially full" is lying, as the place was pretty damn packed to the gills by the time Moz went on. Set list was good, similar to what he did in Philly but we got "Alma Matters" and "The Queen is Dead" and "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle" but no "One Of Our Own" and "First of the Gang To Die"

Like Eurydice said, next time though, I'm not sitting that far back. The crowd around us was total Zzzzzzzz-worthy, and only moving and showing any enthusiasm during "Everyday is like Sunday".

Isis is pure evil, can't read one article about it without shivering, and so is maher. Maybe not in the same scale but evil nevertheless.

I think this debate has gone too far in a post-show thread. So, everone who wants a further discussion should do it elsewhere. The last thing I will say on this topic regarding the above comment, is: Comparing the evil of ISIS to Bill Maher? Really? I don't agree with him on that topic but compared with the evilness of ISIS, Bill isn't even worth mentioning. He has just an opinion. Again, name me on person he physically hurt or one person he killed. Then I take my comment back and consider to call him "evil" in the same way as ISIS.

Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

The Speedway end is a band switch you moron. All of the band switch instruments AS PER MORRISSEY and Gustavo, being the only one that can sing, takes the mic. Mando (bass) plays guitar, Matt (drums) plays the bass, Boz (guitar) takes the drums and Morrissey goes to keys land. It's Moz's idea or he wouldn't make it happen. There's something to be said about a artist that has confidence in his band and himself. It's a statement by Morrissey. It's not pointless. I'd like to see you ripped out of your comfy world and made to do something you don't normally and see how you hold up (or crumble from the sounds of it).

I think this debate has gone too far in a post-show thread. So, everone who wants a further discussion should do it elsewhere. The last thing I will say on this topic regarding the above comment, is: Comparing the evil of ISIS to Bill Maher? Really? I don't agree with him on that topic but compared with the evilness of ISIS, Bill isn't even worth mentioning. He has just an opinion. Again, name me on person he physically hurt or one person he killed. Then I take my comment back and consider to call him "evil" in the same way as ISIS.

You are right. But i did not compare Bill to isis. I Said he was evil. Not in the same scale at all as isis but evil. Read more carefully

- - - Updated - - -

go away you right wing bigot.

Right winged?! I'm as liberal as they come. Oh just stop it. Lets turn back to moz and the show

Still in a bit of a fog, and despite feeling so far away (especially compared with last week in Philadelphia which was one of the highlights of my life!) I thought this was a great concert. The band sounded spectacular, and Morrissey's voice filled up the entire arena.

Anyone who's saying it was "partially full" is lying, as the place was pretty damn packed to the gills by the time Moz went on. Set list was good, similar to what he did in Philly but we got "Alma Matters" and "The Queen is Dead" and "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle" but no "One Of Our Own" and "First of the Gang To Die"

Like Eurydice said, next time though, I'm not sitting that far back. The crowd around us was total Zzzzzzzz-worthy, and only moving and showing any enthusiasm during "Everyday is like Sunday".

ha thats where my wife likes to be at shows. glad you had fun at both

You are right. But i did not compare Bill to isis. I Said he was evil. Not in the same scale at all as isis but evil. Read more carefully

- - - Updated - - -

Right winged?! I'm as liberal as they come. Oh just stop it. Lets turn back to moz and the show

LOL nobody is fooled.

what kind of a person would compare maher who has killed no one, and isis that beheads and murder people. you are up there in the scale of evil. how dare you be a moz fan.

I did not say maher was as evil as isis, read more carefully of course maher is not as evil. But he is pretty evil still. Also i dare to call myself a moz fan since i adore the man! So suck on that bub!

Anyway who cares. Morrissey was great and the comment was propably a sarcastic thing(Morrissey is too smart for mahers nonsense) Lovely performance in a great place. Morrissey always brings it to shows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit. I was just watching a clip from Morrissey's 1991 concert at MSG and the difference in energy is staggering. It's like he is a totally different person! Compare Mick Jagger (who is 16 years older) from 1991 to now and his energy and look are essentially the same, whereas Moz went from being a thin young man to...an older, heavy-set, gray hair barely there (the trademark quiff--gone), conservative looking guy.

Mick Jagger has looked like the same shriveled up simian for the past 20 or so years, actually bordering on a reanimated corpse look. Morrissey could live to 100 and not look as bad as Mick. IMO.

Go suck a d'ck, i Said nothing about the performance but about the Bill maher thing

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope so :) i have muslim friends(i have few friend because i suck really) and a muslim relative. They are the sweetest most liberal people i know. I myself have no religion, but i do belive in a god. I should have know it was sarcasm, since Morrissey could have never been that stupid or heartless to side with maher. But he said it in a way that you can't detecte the sarcasm.

It's not sarcasm you stupid troll...It's as real as the fact that you're an idiot. I'd recommend you watch Bill Maher's Religulous to gain some insight into the idiocy of religion. VIVA BILL! Who cares if you 'belive' in God. If there is a God it just condemned you to eternal damnation for spreading hate by telling someone to go suck a dick. You'll burn you hateful cretin in the fires of hell waiting for God to take a piss on you!

Was the black guy there from 1991 that tried to kiss Morrissey's hand while Morrissey was trying to pull his hand away? Anonymous-

Yes he was. In fact the whole audience from 1991 was there except those that had died. They sent their apologies via Ouija board.

It's not sarcasm you stupid troll...It's as real as the fact that you're an idiot. I'd recommend you watch Bill Maher's Religulous to gain some insight into the idiocy of religion. VIVA BILL! Who cares if you 'belive' in God. If there is a God it just condemned you to eternal damnation for spreading hate by telling someone to go suck a dick. You'll burn you hateful cretin in the fires of hell waiting for God to take a piss on you!
:rofl: stop it my sides are splitting

Since Maher is a long time PETA board member, "environmentalist", supporter of same sex marriage and so on, it's hardly likely Moz was being sarcastic. Hate to break it to ya, hon'.

He's also arguably the most outspoken antitheist on the planet--lending more credence to the notion that Moz is atheist.

He made the sign of the cross upon entering the stage before speaking his first hellos or singing his first notes. So very likely, yes, he did so again at 1:18 as you asked.

He made the sign of the cross upon entering the stage before speaking his first hellos or singing his first notes. So very likely, yes, he did so again at 1:18 as you asked.

isnt that what catholics do over the caskets of dead people. didnt he do it during the queen is dead. might be a connection there just sayin. im guessing people already know this though

Thanks. That moment at 1:18 occurs when he entered the stage before speaking. So he only did it once from what I saw. Does he always do this?

As a Jew, I'm a bit uneducated on this sort of thing. Is this a religious act? Or can it be viewed as a more secular ritual? A superstition, like saying "break a leg" to someone before they go on stage?

And this fits into the current discussion on religion. Is this the action of an atheist?

isnt that what catholics do over the caskets of dead people. didnt he do it during the queen is dead. might be a connection there just sayin. im guessing people already know this though

He did it as he entered the stage, before the song started.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom