New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden (June 27, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / Alma Matters / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Will Never Marry / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // Now My Heart Is Full

setlist provided by Amsden

Last edited:
Blondie was fantastic! So much energy! I heard this was the first time Blondie played MSG. Pretty cool for a NY legend.

I did notice that she didn't thank Morrissey (just took note) During his set he gave a heartfelt thank you to Blondie and said the "pleasure and privilege are all mine"

He mentioned the upcoming US presidential elections and said something like of course they're very amusing and said the only choice for him is Jon Stewart or Bill mayer

His voice was spot on, again. Powerful as ever. It was great. The place was very, very full with a few gaps here and there, but mostly because everyone moves up. Loved hearing "Alma" live and MiM was, once more, very powerful.

Not sure if it's because we weren't at the front or not, but the crowd lacked energy. Big time. Luckily, Morrissey was full of energy and Fred and I were on our feet, singing along the whole time. Morrissey was great and even our little dude said so at the end of the night, adding that this was "the best birthday ever."

glad you got to see your orpheus and that your son had a great birthday. also glad you got to see what she said as well as thats one of my fav smiths songs off of my fav smiths album. i got to see him do still ill but im still jealous of you seeing him do that song as well as will never marry. im regretful i didnt go but i cant take the drive and the turnpike by myself. id go nuts in the silence of the drive. dam baby

Yes - very good show, no doubt. I was also quite impressed by the size of the crowd. But, I gotta say.... I think I prefrrrrd Blondie,s 45 minute set. And I'm
And I barely qualify as a Blondie fan.

I must be jaded.

I'm uploading the entire show in sequence. As an opener, I really like this one-two punch:

BTW, does Moz make the sign of the cross as he enters the stage at 1:18?

Unfortunately the hanging stacks blocked my view of Gustavo's flamenco guitar solo (a favorite moment). So I filmed Matthew Ira Walker instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the fifth time is the charm, as I finally got to keep a piece of Morrissey's shirt after he threw it out into the audience. The security guy with the scissors was very rude and unhelpful, making a snarky comment about how we were acting like it was Jesus Christ's shirt and it was most certainly not. I wanted to tell him I could be certain Morrissey actually lived, but he seemed like a religious chap and was holding scissors. Though he did not help me at all and eventually a fan who I am eternally indebted to helped me get a piece of his shirt.

As far as energy, my friend who was also in the pit said no one around her was very energetic, but where I was standing it was the most energetic crowd yet. Unlike in DC where people just sang along to Suedehead and acted perplexed when he started singing Staircase, everyone around me sound along to Staircase, Ganglord, Far Off Places, pretty much everything. They were super into and it made a tremendous difference. People were jumping around, throwing their arms up, crushing me, etc. Which was all in all very positive.

Morrissey seemed to be in good spirits and was more chatty than when I saw him last week.

Did anyone get a picture/video of Boz during "What She Said"? If so please post a pic of it :)

Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

I'm uploading the entire show in sequence. As an opener, I really like this one-two punch:

BTW, does Moz make the sign of the cross as he enters the stage at 1:18?

Unfortunately the hanging stacks blocked my view of Gustavo's flamenco guitar solo (a favorite moment). So I filmed Matthew Ira Walker instead.

Thats great footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bizarre show overall.

Firstly, Moz looked and sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. And Blondie was great as an opening act and seemed genuinely happy to be there (though for some reason her mic seemed way too low).

That's where the positives end for me. I have seen Morrissey in concert dozens of times and this was one of my handful of least favorite shows. MSG is too big a venue for Morrissey...even though he did manage to pack 'em in more than I would have thought. The crowd had very little energy down in the general admission section...at least in my section of it. There were hardly any handshakes and no possibility of any stage invasions due to the very high stage and big moat between the rail and the stage that was packed with security. Just really a disconnect between singer and fans. Felt very sterile. I was disappointed when the tour schedule initially came out as initially MSG would be the only venue possible for me, and I was right to have been skeptical. Thankfully he added Philly which was one of the best of shows.

I'm not a casual fan who needs to hear the greatest hits, but sometimes I wish Moz would seize the moment of playing a venue like the Garden. Here he has a very large, diverse audience, a real chance to do something epic, yet he still plays his standard set. The current set list is fine with me, and I'd be happy if he sung practically anything. However, tonight would have been a great opportunity to play some more crowd pleasers. I know that isn't his way, but sometimes I just wish he would do what the fans want. A casual fan probably knew 5 to 7 of the songs he played tonight, the rest were just filler between songs they recognize. Again, fine with me, but it made for a very large, very quiet audience, and an overall pretty boring show. There were quite a few Blondie fans near me and one couple was giving it their best to try and enjoy Morrissey, but Kick the Bride sent them over the edge and they left mid song. I was pretty bored by that point as well given the lackluster crowd and thought Kick the Bride was an odd choice to include at MSG.

Also, World Peace is pretty dreadful live. I actually was one of the few who liked it on the album, but the two times I've heard it live were a disappointment, as was Neal Cassady. I realize I'm in the minority on that one, but maybe because I have a science/medicine background the "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies, junior full of gangrene..." etc., is just utterly ridiculous to the point I can't get behind the song...except for the end which is beautiful.

The Gustavo takeover of Speedway is atrocious as well. As others have said after previous shows, the ending of that song, sung by Morrissey, is very powerful and personal to a lot of people. Having Gustavo sing it is just unnecessary and pointless.

And, of course, Meat is Murder. More power to Moz for keeping this one going, and I totally understand his conviction on the subject...but...always a massive suck of energy from the room.

A couple of the rare highlights of the show for me were Alma Matters, Will Never Marry, and Now My Heart is Full, all three I felt Moz sounded particularly great and heartfelt. I'm usually not this critical, but I think the downer crowd really skewed my view of this show. He should have gone back to the Brooklyn Academy of Music like in 2013, which was one of the best shows of all time...instead of MSG. Oh well, even a bad Morrissey concert is still a good day...and it was no fault of his.

So, you know the atmosphere of the MSG and know Moz' ways. Why did you go then? I would say, a bit of blame has to go to yourself.

I suppose the fifth time is the charm, as I finally got to keep a piece of Morrissey's shirt after he threw it out into the audience. The security guy with the scissors was very rude and unhelpful, making a snarky comment about how we were acting like it was Jesus Christ's shirt and it was most certainly not. I wanted to tell him I could be certain Morrissey actually lived, but he seemed like a religious chap and was holding scissors. Though he did not help me at all and eventually a fan who I am eternally indebted to helped me get a piece of his shirt.

As far as energy, my friend who was also in the pit said no one around her was very energetic, but where I was standing it was the most energetic crowd yet. Unlike in DC where people just sang along to Suedehead and acted perplexed when he started singing Staircase, everyone around me sound along to Staircase, Ganglord, Far Off Places, pretty much everything. They were super into and it made a tremendous difference. People were jumping around, throwing their arms up, crushing me, etc. Which was all in all very positive.

Morrissey seemed to be in good spirits and was more chatty than when I saw him last week.

thats amazing chip, im so happy for you and yes i need to thank doc as well as she does always come though and is great in general. for a person whos had to miss out and put a lot on hold this year do to lifes responsibilities (i feel old) it made me smile so thank you. hope chick pea went

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom