The magical eras of the solo years

A

Anonymous

So I was listening to Pandora and sunny came on the radio. I loved that period of Morrissey: Boxers, Sunny, Swallow...great songs, great production....classic line up.

For me there are a few eras that were so special in Moz's solo history:

1) Viva hate...classic singles, felt like a smooth transition from where the Smiths left off
2) the Bona Drag singles era - so many amazing singles - with great B Sides.
3) the 1991 tour with the classic line up...refreshing takes on Kill Uncle songs and the energy was the best live show I've ever seen
4) Your Arsenal - Vauxhall: 2 of the best albums from Moz.
5) The LA years/ Comeback album...I remember seeing Moz at the Universal Ampetheatre with Oasis right beside me...Moz was back and had reinvented himself. While the record was not great, I did like the extended version with the Bsides.
6) AutoBiography - so happy that he wrote this...was a classic capstone on such a great career.

Yes there are lows throughout Moz's career..byt the above half dozen memories were so strong, that they far outweigh those times.

THX
J

3) the 1991 tour with the classic line up...refreshing takes on Kill Uncle songs and the energy was the best live show I've ever seen

Yes, and the singing was the worst throughout his entire career. People were hungry for live shows because they waited so long, so they got carried away by enthusiasm. I was the same but then I took some friends who were no Moz fans with me and they broke it to me that the singing was bad. And it really is. I listen to bootlegs today and everytime I am thankful for Moz' voice as it is now. And it makes me even more excited for the next show.

"Boxers, Sunny, Swallow...great songs, great production....classic line up."

agree about these songs but that groove didnt translate into albums for me as south paw and the original maladjusted were not that great imo. i can barely listen to south paw

Yes, and the singing was the worst throughout his entire career. People were hungry for live shows because they waited so long, so they got carried away by enthusiasm. I was the same but then I took some friends who were no Moz fans with me and they broke it to me that the singing was bad. And it really is. I listen to bootlegs today and everytime I am thankful for Moz' voice as it is now. And it makes me even more excited for the next show.

True. He has done an excellent job reinventing his voice and strengthening it. Wish Liam Gallagher had done that

It was meant to be rockabilly, not opera lmao. He has since entered reserved crooner mode.

True. He has done an excellent job reinventing his voice and strengthening it. Wish Liam Gallagher had done that

His voice, at least as a live performer, has consistently gotten better over the years. Anytime I've ever seen him live with someone else they have commented on how strong his voice is for a performer of "his age" and anyone who has seen more than once is even more amazed that it seems even better than the last time they saw him.

I, like most people who are really truly honest, prefer his earlier stuff/the Smiths, but the first time I saw a rip of the Live In Austin concert video on youtube I was shocked. He was youthful and exuberant, and moved like no creative I've ever encountered in this universe, but his voice was off. And the band did not do justice to the pre-Kill Uncle material.

I saw another video from that same tour--it had Japanese subtitles on it--and it was better significantly, but I think for all people complain about his current band, setlist, etc. they are significantly better than where he was 24 years ago.

His voice, at least as a live performer, has consistently gotten better over the years. Anytime I've ever seen him live with someone else they have commented on how strong his voice is for a performer of "his age" and anyone who has seen more than once is even more amazed that it seems even better than the last time they saw him.

I, like most people who are really truly honest, prefer his earlier stuff/the Smiths, but the first time I saw a rip of the Live In Austin concert video on youtube I was shocked. He was youthful and exuberant, and moved like no creative I've ever encountered in this universe, but his voice was off. And the band did not do justice to the pre-Kill Uncle material.

I saw another video from that same tour--it had Japanese subtitles on it--and it was better significantly, but I think for all people complain about his current band, setlist, etc. they are significantly better than where he was 24 years ago.

riley is and was a great musician so i could some of that being hard to pull off live. i of course wasnt there back in the day but i gotta agree from watching videos that his voice has only improved live with time and age

I remember during 2004 thinking that this was Morrissey's indian summer, but actually if you look back now that was arguably the pinaccle of his solo career.

Song wise, the Viva Hate and Vauxhall and I eras are far superior to Quarry, but commercially 2004 was his most successful year.

Four UK top ten singles and a #2 album. Universal adoration in the press. Bouncing back from the disappointment of Maladjusted and seven years in the wilderness. Reaching a new, young audience by appearing on shows such as Top of the Pops and CD:UK. Still treating the stalwart fans from the days of The Smiths with new material. The 45th birthday show in Manchester. Reconciling (for a time) with the NME.

Heady days. It's unlikely he'll ever top that now.

Back
Top Bottom