Views on kickstarter

T

Tynamuna

I'm not fond of the website and its give me give me, i don't want to work hard for my money ethics. Bands and artists, designers and etc before had to work for their money, and yes many artist failed. But talent and ambition always succeded in the end. I would love to hear your views, because i'm on the fence

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not fond of the website and its give me give me, i don't want to work hard for my money ethics. Bands and artists, designers and etc before had to work for their money, and yes many artist failed. But talent and ambition always succeded in the end. I would love to hear your views, because i'm on the fence

im not a fan but am not against I suppose as I have no reason to. I just think its complicated and can really piss off your fans as they now have somewhat of a legitimate platform to criticize and influence or at least feel they do and the artist is gonna have a hard time negotiating those people. there are better ways than kick starter to start a band or project for people with networking skills. that said it can work for established artists or those with large cult followings as people trust a more experienced artist to make something they are ok with and still have a certain number of established fans check it out. im summation not good for starting but ok maybe if you manage it correctly, meaning managing people, and are already in a position to see some sort of return success on some level

But with established bands and artist, isn't kickstarter a way to use your fans. Also New bands starting, its not a good for them to rely on others to help them. Its a hard Journey, if you make it on your own than you know you have truly made it.

But with established bands and artist, isn't kickstarter a way to use your fans. Also New bands starting, its not a good for them to rely on others to help them. Its a hard Journey, if you make it on your own than you know you have truly made it.

I dont think its good for bands to be helped started just by giving money. they are many other ways to be helped that are not monetary based such space usage places to play bother bands willing to put them on a bill etc. kickstarter is using your fans but its an open agreement so I don't think theres harm there in that sense. some want to be more involved as its fun for them. ask them to buy the album ask them to invest in its creation buts its all about usage for both. as for established acts, if the act has dropped enough sales the major will drop them (or are just difficult and costly) but if they go to an indie the sound may suffer depending on the artist/label and the fans may complain drop off and winding away slowly is just the worst for any act all around. if an established artist who will probably still get some column inches, read promotion based on there fame alone, might go the kickstarter rout as being more established will draw more donors meaning the production might have a nicer budget and the past fame will still promote you somewhat so if the kickstarter album is very good itll be a platform to retake ground or to just move forward. an established act using kickstarter might just be a story in and of itself drawing attention. still gotta deliver on the attentions promise of course

As you said, there is better ways for new bands to start. Ways such as letting them play in your establishment or letting them open for other band etc. Also i hate to say it, there is a stigmatization with new bands who have used kickstarter. They did not "work theirselfs up to the top" as for older bands using kickstarter. I don't think its fair to use the guilt approch. Yes your fans have loved your previous work and they maybe will be glad to support you in your new endeavours. But for the band to think that fans will bail them out just for past glories. I belive that for their own pride, its better to earn it fairly Would the band pay their fans money to start up their business. Also there is that factor of acts who aren't that good anymore, and just want to ride on the coattails of some revival. Is it fair to then ask money from their fans just to produce crap?

As for the publicity kickstarter campaigns can attract. Have we stooped that low that we settle with such a lukewarm approch.

Also there is great indie companys out there that don't make the artist work suffer. Also for established acts: you have been in music for years, don't you have any friends in the business that can't help you with at least producing? Haven't they picked up tricks of the trade?

As you said, there is better ways for new bands to start. Ways such as letting them play in your establishment or letting them open for other band etc. Also i hate to say it, there is a stigmatization with new bands who have used kickstarter. They did not "work theirselfs up to the top" as for older bands using kickstarter. I don't think its fair to use the guilt approch. Yes your fans have loved your previous work and they maybe will be glad to support you in your new endeavours. But for the band to think that fans will bail them out just for past glories. I belive that for their own pride, its better to earn it fairly Would the band pay their fans money to start up their business. Also there is that factor of acts who aren't that good anymore, and just want to ride on the coattails of some revival. Is it fair to then ask money from their fans just to produce crap?

As for the publicity kickstarter campaigns can attract. Have we stooped that low that we settle with such a lukewarm approch.

Also there is great indie companys out there that don't make the artist work suffer. Also for established acts: you have been in music for years, don't you have any friends in the business that can't help you with at least producing? Haven't they picked up tricks of the trade?

the stigmatization is that your desperate enough to use kick starter cause no one else would take you. for moz I think it a personality issue to some degree so this might not apply to him at all. I don't think it guilt driven to ask fans anything really, everyones free to say whatever they like as a reply. many acts get dropped for reasons unrelated to the quality of the music which can be unrelated to musics popularity. this is why I don't think fans, especially people still fans of the artist, will see it as a bail out but perhaps there effort to right in there eyes an injustice as they are still fans and probably thought the dropping unjustified. as to earn it, that just means so many things to so many people I need more of a specific opinion as to just what you think earning it means before I can comment. indie labels and the support they give there acts differ a lot. one label might make everything sound pretty good, I mostly listen to indie music, but others might give a better budget for there act while another might get less and of course some indie labels just suck and are very genre specific. these are all factors to think about when considering the route.

p.s I posted a response clarifying my position and conversation in the ganglord thread but am waiting for it to post. as this ones connected to your post I believe it will post before the other but I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring that. I was just a misunderstanding that youll see when it does indeed post

I saw your most in ganglord. I understand now :) i can't comment on the indie labels competence since that world is unknown to me. I guess my biggest resentment against kickstarter is how easy it makes it for bands to gather funds and it lowers the artist/bands status, making them to charity cases, a little bit. I guess i love the old ways of, working extra jobs, rehearshing in your parents basement and borrowing money from your partner for supplies, just to then be sign by a indie label like factory(rip) and get a 20 pound a week by the companys :) i thought it was more romantic and it would have given the artist a scene of reality. Nobody will get you anywhere exept yourself. I must be more satisfying to know that you and only you got the funds to your album or etc trough determination. Also it was a great way to get the most talented ones in. No anyone with any idea how stupid it is or they are get funds from someone equally as deluded

Sry for any misspellings, not my first language

I saw your most in ganglord. I understand now :) i can't comment on the indie labels competence since that world is unknown to me. I guess my biggest resentment against kickstarter is how easy it makes it for bands to gather funds and it lowers the artist/bands status, making them to charity cases, a little bit. I guess i love the old ways of, working extra jobs, rehearshing in your parents basement and borrowing money from your partner for supplies, just to then be sign by a indie label like factory(rip) and get a 20 pound a week by the companys :) i thought it was more romantic and it would have given the artist a scene of reality. Nobody will get you anywhere exept yourself. I must be more satisfying to know that you and only you got the funds to your album or etc trough determination. Also it was a great way to get the most talented ones in. No anyone with any idea how stupid it is or they are get funds from someone equally as deluded

Sry for any misspellings, not my first language

I for sure don't care about grammar as im a pragmatist myself. the ironic thing is that its easier to record an album yourself than its ever been before in history and many bands have done just that. I mean I think of the first waves record and it couldn't have been recorded for much but he went on to be huge in certain circles. I can think of many many bands that do this well. I don't know how kickstarter or crowd funding work but if the donors I should say investor take a percentage of profit in sales with the artist keeping the bulk then I think that would be a more attractive deal and worth the money just to be apart of the story which is what many many fans of music these days want. they want to be involved in a sceen or project and be proud of it. also once they've invested there money subconsciously they then invest themselves so the investors soon become word of mouth pr men and women as they want to tell the story and talk up there choice. in essence they then become your street promotion as well which can be beneficial if you've the right fan base but that's another discussion.

on a curious note, ever frequent the suede forum. sometimes I feel weve spoken before. you don't have to answer honestly if you don't want to of course

Never been on the suede forum i swear, i'm an honest person. But iam a huge suede fan and i mean huge. This is the first fan forum i have ever been on. Glad to know you are a suede fan ;)
Curious thou, why did you think that i post on the suede forum? Is there someone like me on there

I for sure don't care about grammar as im a pragmatist myself. the ironic thing is that its easier to record an album yourself than its ever been before in history and many bands have done just that. I mean I think of the first waves record and it couldn't have been recorded for much but he went on to be huge in certain circles. I can think of many many bands that do this well. I don't know how kickstarter or crowd funding work but if the donors I should say investor take a percentage of profit in sales with the artist keeping the bulk then I think that would be a more attractive deal and worth the money just to be apart of the story which is what many many fans of music these days want. they want to be involved in a sceen or project and be proud of it. also once they've invested there money subconsciously they then invest themselves so the investors soon become word of mouth pr men and women as they want to tell the story and talk up there choice. in essence they then become your street promotion as well which can be beneficial if you've the right fan base but that's another discussion.

on a curious note, ever frequent the suede forum. sometimes I feel weve spoken before. you don't have to answer honestly if you don't want to of course
Giving the doners or "investors" some royalites does ideal but it has to be given to those who donated a larger share. If its given to all the doners it would have gotten too messy. Everyone would have wanted a say in the matter. Bit as you say if the doners got a piece of the royalites they would have been more business minded and the promotion would have been greater.
But i'm curious about one thing. If its easier than ever to find funds for a album, why was kickstarter even nessecery? With social media you can create a huge buzz about your band. Just look at arctic monkeys they started out, without a record deal, posting videos on youtube, now they are huge. That why i think kickstarter is a cop out. Because there is ways to get publicity thats greater than kickstarter but the diffrence their is that you would have funded your album square on showing your talent. In kickstarter they offer often meet and greets and other stuff for donaters which i see as (forgive me) whoreing out a bit

Giving the doners or "investors" some royalites does ideal but it has to be given to those who donated a larger share. If its given to all the doners it would have gotten too messy. Everyone would have wanted a say in the matter. Bit as you say if the doners got a piece of the royalites they would have been more business minded and the promotion would have been greater.
But i'm curious about one thing. If its easier than ever to find funds for a album, why was kickstarter even nessecery? With social media you can create a huge buzz about your band. Just look at arctic monkeys they started out, without a record deal, posting videos on youtube, now they are huge. That why i think kickstarter is a cop out. Because there is ways to get publicity thats greater than kickstarter but the diffrence their is that you would have funded your album square on showing your talent. In kickstarter they offer often meet and greets and other stuff for donaters which i see as (forgive me) whoreing out a bit

same as with small businesses and small business owners, they are there own worst enemy and tend to be egotistical to the point where the burn bridges and cant network. songs could be good but artists opinion about , insert subject and there views, tends to drive everyone away. ive met brock from modest mouse on a couple occasions and he was a horrible person to just be around. granted he was super drunk but it was horrible and I ahd to just walk away. same with jack white whom ive not met but says things all the time that just make me very much not like him and theres already to much good music for me to listen to in my lifetime so why would I put up with him. I just go to the next good thing that has something to say that I like or at least doesn't bring all of there stupidity with them and that's a guy whos already established and ive heard his music. if he was a new guy saying the same with no exposure to his work and acted as he does now he wouldn't get anywhere. add no experience, youth, no education formal or informal and they don't do well. its like Christian bale. hes a good actor whos made movies I like but no one wants to work with him and they just go to the next also really good actor and he gets no work. even if hes good no one wil take the chance of working with him cause whod wanna do that and what for what reason. none that I can think of. also bands just starting can be very ego filled in there garage etc and take that with them a lot of the time when they go to try and book shows. what do you mean I wont get paid this much, x does and my musics just as good as his. I find people to be mostly emotionally out of control and kinda fragile in compromise and rejection. they tend to blow up and cause fights arguments with people they shouldn't as they have no idea that it takes more than good tunes for the club owner to decide to let you play. hes not looking for good music, hes looking for a pay out that's not a headache

1 You don't sound like you're on the fence.
2 You don't sound like you understand how kickstarter works. It's not a donation. It's an investment. You're supposed to get something in return later on down the road.
3 You probably have a job where you get paid regardless of how much money the business makes that week, unlike someone who is self-employed.
4 "yes many artists failed" and "talent and ambition always succeeded in the end" are not mutually compatible ideas. You have heard of the success stories but you haven't heard of the failures, because they failed.
5 Many artists, writers, and other creative people are only discovered after their deaths, and only then by a stroke of luck.
6 Kickstarter campaigns don't always succeed, and when they do it's because people believe in the idea. So how is it your place to tell one group of people not to support the work of another group of people. Have you ever in your life done something completely on your own?

First of all i'm on the fence second of all calm the f*** down and no its a donation, they don't get any royalites. The only thing they invest is belief in a artist. Also i known there has been many talented artist that has tried to make it with out any kickstarter and failed just like there has been many artist who got enough founding for an album but the album then failed and i stil belive that talent ambition will succed in the end one way or the other. Plus what does the fact that many artist after their death has to do with kickstarter or the old fashion way? And lastly im currently unemployed because i'm making a portfolio for CSM the school of art and design in London. Also you asked me how It was my place to tell people not to support other people? Well newsflash sweetheart i havent told anyone anything, i asked on a MSolo forum for views on kickstarter and i told them i was on the fence bordering on not liking kickstarter. People are free to do anything they want just as i am free to question kickstarter. I'm not holding any artist in basement hostage because they wanted to use kickstarter.

PS i have done everything in my life on my own. Don't come from any rich family at all and you don't know a single thing about me. I also plan to do everything myself in life in the future

PPS how could be as a society flourish if we don't question the work created in the world. If we had just said "oh who are we to question them" and walked away, we would have had a world full of faulty designs, dangeours inventions and lifes wasted on dead missions. I heard about kickstarter and felt that it was not a optimal way for an artist to fund an album and i asked for new prespectivs from others

First of all i'm on the fence second of all calm the f*** down and no its a donation, they don't get any royalites. The only thing they invest is belief in a artist. Also i known there has been many talented artist that has tried to make it with out any kickstarter and failed just like there has been many artist who got enough founding for an album but the album then failed and i stil belive that talent ambition will succed in the end one way or the other. Plus what does the fact that many artist after their death has to do with kickstarter or the old fashion way? And lastly im currently unemployed because i'm making a portfolio for CSM the school of art and design in London. Also you asked me how It was my place to tell people not to support other people? Well newsflash sweetheart i havent told anyone anything, i asked on a MSolo forum for views on kickstarter and i told them i was on the fence bordering on not liking kickstarter. People are free to do anything they want just as i am free to question kickstarter. I'm not holding any artist in basement hostage because they wanted to use kickstarter.

PS i have done everything in my life on my own. Don't come from any rich family at all and you don't know a single thing about me. I also plan to do everything myself in life in the future

PPS how could be as a society flourish if we don't question the work created in the world. If we had just said "oh who are we to question them" and walked away, we would have had a world full of faulty designs, dangeours inventions and lifes wasted on dead missions. I heard about kickstarter and felt that it was not a optimal way for an artist to fund an album and i asked for new prespectivs from others

theres nothing wrong with asking questions. even if you have a set opinion theres nothing wrong with seeing what others think and I believe as I think the exposer to the ideas is a benefit for all three of us.

theres nothing wrong with asking questions. even if you have a set opinion theres nothing wrong with seeing what others think and I believe as I think the exposer to the ideas is a benefit for all three of us.
Thank you :) some people think that any questioning is unfair

Also i'm curious, why did you feel like we had spoken before on the suede forum :D

Thank you :) some people think that any questioning is unfair

Also i'm curious, why did you feel like we had spoken before on the suede forum :D

your speech patterns and opinions. syntax lexicon spelling etc but im sure many people are similar in those respects so I felt I should just ask. I know theres overlap here

even as an anonymous I feel like people can recognize me from those things because I make my typing super specific as I refuse to differentiate there theyre their for instance with no capitalization or apostrophes and very little punctuation. its a personal belief from when i was a child and also a test filter for some to see where there priorities lay somewhat which I then use to judge there intelligence/worth etc. i really like communication and how it functions and influences. im a high functioning autistic who ironically made social interaction there focus. I had no toys and people were always around in our very poor small town violent crime ridden neighborhood, parents were very committed political social hippies to use a vague term that means something else in every country, so I had no choice but to deal and interact with people every min of the day and so for my own happiness and self preservation I had to study and figure out what the hell people were doing and why as it initially made no sense to me. that made me pay much closer attention to the speech they used and that just started me down a path that led to analyzing conversation and language. I hate the stigma attached to the condition as to me Ive always felt my autism a huge advantage over others which is why I talk about people like dan akroid being such good writers and thinkers etc. its a benefit for those who are raised right and fall into a specific spot on the spectrum

" and no its a donation, they don't get any royalites. The only thing they invest is belief in a artist. "

Of course they don't get royalties. Have you looked at a kickstarter campaign? What they usually get is some kind of package that won't be available to the public. If you make a donation to a filmmaker you may get an invitation to the premiere of the film, or a dvd signed by cast, or similar things.
Don't you think giving $100 to fund a Morrissey record and getting a signed CD, plus the knowledge that you helped in the creation, would be an attractive package to many people?
If you can't figure out the relationship between your post and my response no amount of explaining would help I'm afraid.
Good luck being completely without fault, making it all on your own with no compromises ever, and able to pass the inspection and judgment of every random person on the Internet should you ever do anything anyone pays attention to.

Back
Top Bottom