Grim O'Grady Fund - The Spartans FC

Gerry writes:

Looking for some help from the Smiths/Morrissey family One of the biggest Smiths fans out there, a guy called Grim O'Grady. Lost everything yesterday when his house burnt to the ground. Phoned him last night and his first words were "I've lost my dog, my cats and all my Smiths records and stuff". He is one of life's good guys. I know him through Spartans FC where he single handedly built up the disabled football section in his own time. The club have set up a fund for donations but was going to ask if any smiths fans would be kind enough to donate or send duplicates of any records to him c/o Spartans FC?

Link here:

Grim O'Grady Fund - The Spartans FC

Last edited:
Damn, super sweet guy. :(

Robert of the famous Strangeways nights in Glasgow writes...

The house of our friends Lynne Meston (https://www.facebook.com/lynne.meston.3) and Grim O'Grady (Garry Betts) (https://www.facebook.com/grim.ogrady) was destroyed in a fire on Thursday. They have lost everything including their cats and long-term companion "Buster" the dog. Garry had the biggest record collection we know. I doubt any body; anywhere would have had more Morrissey/ Smiths rarities than Garry and Lynne.

Lynne and Garry have been wonderful to many members of the Morrissey community over the years offering friendship, accommodation and support. Many of you will know them personally from the world of Morrissey. If you do you will know just how lovely they are.

Garry (better know to the world and his friends as Grim O'Grady) is a well-known fan of the Edinburgh football team "Spartans". Spartans have set-up a 'Just Giving' link. Where if you want to donate you can.

https://www.justgiving.com/Fund-For-Grim

They have also written a very touching piece on their own website

http://www.spartansfc.com/2015/05/1...tion_type_map=["og.shares"]&action_ref_map=[]

The next Strangeways (Morrissey and Smiths Disco) night, which is at the Admiral Bar in Glasgow on Friday the 29th of May, will give all profits to Lynne and Garry to help them get back on their feet.
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/314355

So f***ing sad :tears: he had all that and it went away
How is he going to get the rarites and albums back?
I don't know him or her, but i'm truly sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to donate but that daft site didn't recognize my email. wtf.

What a tragedy. Poor pets.

Donated just now. What a shame, truly lovely people. Drove me halfway across Manchester after the Opera House gig in 06. Met many times in many places, stay strong. Gerry

There's a glitch on the justgiving site with the expiration date of your card. It looks like the dials are lined up, but you have to pick another random date, then go back and pick the real date and it'll work. That PLUS my bank called and said they rejected the first try because it's foreign, so that's a hurdle too for any Americans with anal retentive banks.

There's a glitch on the justgiving site with the expiration date of your card. It looks like the dials are lined up, but you have to pick another random date, then go back and pick the real date and it'll work. That PLUS my bank called and said they rejected the first try because it's foreign, so that's a hurdle too for any Americans with anal retentive banks.

Holy shit, I just saw what you did. Amazing. I'm sure Grim and Lynne will appreciate your generosity. Top work.

P.

Holy shit, I just saw what you did. Amazing. I'm sure Grim and Lynne will appreciate your generosity. Top work.

P.

I wish it was pounds. :p

Im trying to donate. How does it work, im in sweden and i can't find my currency

- - - Updated - - -

Does mastercard work.please reply as quick as possible
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
:(

please, let us know if it's possible to send via bank account. thank you. :(

as above already written, is it possible to donate via bankacount, not paypall...

Take care Grim, I'm really shocked to read now that this happened to you and Lynn, loosing the dog is a big loss, amongst all your goodies and the house.

'and they say he's mentall'... Mike Joyce inmediately responded and acted...., what about the other 3?..Johnny would, I dare to write but is on tour

Last edited:
as above already written, is it possible to donate via bankacount, not paypall...

Take care Grim, I'm really shocked to read now that this happened to you and Lynn, loosing the dog is a big loss, amongst all your goodies and the house.

'and they say he's mentall'... Mike Joyce inmediately responded and acted...., what about the other 3?..Johnny would, I dare to write but is on tour

But My card goes directly trough paypal. I can't even find My fecking currency in the list

But My card goes directly trough paypal. I can't even find My fecking currency in the list

Sweden's currency is so weak against the pound that you guys lose 40 % on every £10.

What Garry and Lynne are going through is just one of the worst things you can experience and I really feel for them. It is so weird that for months now I have been thinking about calling my insurance company to raise the value of my home should the worst happen. When you do a fast calculation of what things cost you realise you might need to pay a bit more for your home insurance.

On Thursday I fell ill and also experienced huge anxiety for no reason so when I heard this news the day after it all fell in place. I am one of those people that foresee things that way or fall ill when something is happening.

It is great to see that when a family is hit by disaster this way society works not through politicians or the ones in the community that you expect will help but through people around you in the neighbourhood and the city. The taxi company driving Garry around for free really should be given some sort of recognition and I am sure they will.

When animals are the victims like this it just breaks my heart and I lost a cat 10 years ago that died of age and that was hard enough so what this family is going through makes you struggle for words. However, I know from personal experience that when the worst happens we as humans tend to overcome things by taking care of the things that still need to go on. The every day business means you stay occupied and that will ease things and help you along the way.

We must never forget that we could have lost Garry and Lynne and one teenage son that still lived at home so if we focus on that it will be easier to cope. Fires are absolutely mad and horrific but in a world that at times seem absolutely insane at times things like this show that deep down we are all prepared to help and come together for the sake of other people regardless of who they are or what views they have on things in life.

What I have read so far has restored my faith in human kind. Garry and Lynne and their loved ones will smile and laugh again one day.

will donate. this has happened to a couple of relatives of mine last year so I know how hard it is to restart. im trusting you guys that this person is worth it.

also, good for you joyce, nicely done.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom